“A hidden gem in plain sight!”

Viking Line - Day Cruises
Ranked #37 of 338 things to do in Helsinki
Reviewed 31 March 2018 via mobile

I took a Lufthansa Surprise flight to Stockholm. I had hoped to be able to visit as much of Scandinavia as possible. The Viking Cruise Line day cruise to Helsinki was amazing.

Check in was very easy. Compared to flying, it was comfortable and relaxing. I had a cabin on the sixth floor with a double bed and a small private bathroom. I've stayed in hotel rooms that were much smaller!

I did the smorgasbord on the first night,and found it out to be amazing. Of course, there was too much food, but everything was prepared and presented beautifully. The trip stopped at Mariehamn, Åland Islands. I stopped off there, but was unaware that it only stayed for a few minutes. I had asked in English whether I could quickly disembark and was told yes. I was certainly surprised when the Viking Line gate manager told me that the Gabriella had left!

I gave this cruise line 5 stars for many reasons, but this one showed superior customer service: Viking Line Cruises arranged for me to take the Silja Cruise Line Serenade from Mariehamn to Helsinki! I am certainly grateful for this service and the professional manner in which it was handled at Mariehamn by the gate manager there. I'm sad that I didn't get his name to single him out for his great work for me on late Holy Thursday night.

That said, I don't recommend getting off the ship as I did!

I'm Helsinki, I found the cruise life to be superior. I had a meeting which I was able to return to the ship to take! This was superior any comparative flight and day trip. In short, this is a great way to travel and see the Scandinavian world. I will do it again. Many thanks for such a singular experience.

1  Thank Eurotraveler110
Write a ReviewReviews (1,257)
All reviews
in 11 reviews
"baltic sea"
in 16 reviews

Reviewed 30 March 2018 via mobile

We had a cabin in bottom of ferry .. comfortable and spacious.. the boat was clean and had good food options.. check in was fast as was disembarktion .. cant fault it. Cheap easy transport between stockholm and helsinki... gr8 wifi in public areas also.

3  Thank CosmicKid
Reviewed 22 March 2018

The ship and room was nice enough - old but clean. The experience, going up top (the only ones who as it was -15 without adding wind chill) and watching the ice clear as the ship went through it was amazing. Had the same view from our cabin window as well - but don't worry - trip itself is short, once you reach Tallin no more distractions and you can have a nice comfortable sleep. Or go to the bar for live music and drinks - whichever you prefer.

1  Thank sydney2040
Reviewed 4 March 2018

We went on a trip from Stockholm to Helsinki on M/S Mariella and keep in mind this was our first cruise (even though a short one). The ship is very nice, shows its age, but was very clean and tidy. And although old it is very comfortable. Plus it has more then enough entertainment for a day cruise. We really liked it... sunrise on a cold winter day in the middle of the sea is something special.
On the list of things that could be improved is the dinner menu. We paid for a 6 course meal and while I expected something fancy they went really overboard. An idea would be to have 2 choices for each course (something more casual and something fancy). It would make a big difference.

See more reviews
Reviewed 20 February 2018

On a previous journey we bought for over 80 euros from the tax-free shop and got a coupon for a cruise in A cabin for just 10 euros.

We prefer Gabriella over Mariella on Helsinki-Stockholm route. On Gabriella is an excellent bar Living Room where a very professional female bartender makes delicious cocktails. She makes the best Napue Gin & Tonics. Also on Gabriella the Food Garden a la carte restaurant is more modern than on Mariella.

The entertainment on both ships could be better. There was again the same French magician. He is good but we have seen him at least five times over the two years. Silja Line has better and more varied entertainment.