Original Sokos Hotel Presidentti
Hotelli Finn(Helsinki)(Great Value!)
US$95
US$92
1,143 results
All reviewskamppi shopping centerbig hotelrenovated roomswimming poolfree wifirailway stationwalking distancelocation is excellenthotel is greatbreakfast buffet ispublic transportsaunascandinaviasquaresilenceminusconnection
Reviewed 15 August 2017

We stayed here because my husband was attending WorldCon and this hotel had a special rate for that conference. They are undergoing extensive renovations, which do interfere with your stay. They had carpet torn up around the breakfast room, crews jackhammering during the morning hours, paint fumes and construction equipment everywhere in what would normally be a pretty nice looking hotel.
Another unfortunate thing is we had one of the un-renovated rooms (probably because we got the special rate) and it was just mediocre. The bed was comfortable enough and it did have air conditioning, but we were expecting more from the photos they had online of what I assume is the renovated rooms. The bathroom was nothing to write home about and the shower stall looked like it had just been shoved in a corner as an afterthought. We requested a room with a view, and got a view of the HVAC ducts on the roof in the center.
The breakfast was pretty good, and the staff was helpful and spoke English very well.
It is very convenient to the main train station, a metro stop, bus stop and tram stop. There's also a really good food court in the Kaampi metro station right behind the hotel.
Overall, our stay was just okay. I'd recommend waiting until they're done with the renovations.

• Stayed: August 2017, travelled with family
Presidentti, Asiakaspalvelujohtaja at Original Sokos Hotel Presidentti, responded to this reviewResponded 17 August 2017

Hello hunnyjar,

Thank you for the review. I am sorry to hear that your stay didn´t go the way it should have. Hopefully you will come again when the renovation is finished and test our new rooms.

Have a nice day!

Best regards
Jonna

Reviewed 10 August 2017

This is the first time that I stayed in a Sokos property. I had heard a lot of good words but I did not find it to my expectations.
The lobby was generally crowded . May be some big group had checked in. I found it quite difficult to get to a receptionist as the counters were occupied for a long time.
Finally I got to one and the girl there did help me with my issue.
The room that we stayed was not very comfortable. It was small and crowded and as I slept towards the wall I found getting out from bed cumbersome.

• Stayed: May 2017, travelled with friends
1  Thank kc j

Hello kc j,

Thank you for your review. We appreciate the feedback. I am sorry to hear about the problems you faced during your stay. We hope that you come back to see the new renovated hotel when the renovation is finished.

Have a nice day!

Best regards
Jonna

Reviewed 7 August 2017

The hotel was undergoing renovations while I was attending a convention there, and they were using some kind of toxic glue which made me physically ill and unable to attend the majority of the convention; the floor on which our meetings were occurring on were completely unsafe. When guests complained, they didn't do anything to stop the use of the chemical for several hours and it was not until I threatened to call the health inspector that they ceased the construction. All of the handymen on the floor were wearing protective masks. The convention was taking place literally in the rooms adjacent to where the workmen were. I was seriously ill for several hours after only being in one of the meetings for 30 minutes. I reported this to the hotel and not only did they report that the workmen were "only using acrylic paint"; they failed to offer me any compensation. I do hope that their public heath and safety standards are called to the attention of the city; their priorities between guests' and employees' safety and not closing the hotel when it is unsafe is completely reprehensible.

• Stayed: August 2017, travelled on business
Presidentti, Johtaja at Original Sokos Hotel Presidentti, responded to this reviewResponded 10 August 2017

Dear igoplaces2015,
Thank you for your recent stay at our hotel and for sharing your annoying experience.
Please accept my sincere apologies for the challenges you encountered during your stay caused by the renovation works in our hotel.
The floor surfaces of our new restaurant were completed last weekend between Friday and Sunday. This stage of work was prepared for special care but for some reason, on Saturday afternoon, the ventilation system did not work as planned and the smell of acrylic mass spread to our hotel's customer premises.
At such low concentrations, acrylic mass is not harmful to health, but the odor caused by it is very unpleasant and often causes nausea.
In our ongoing renovation project, we will no longer use acrylic mass or other equivalent methods to prevent the same kind of unpleasant problems to our hotel customers.
It is really unfortunate that your attendance at the meeting failed as a result of this unexpected incident.
With kind regards,
Juha Sundqvist, Hotel Manager

Reviewed 6 August 2017

We expected a standard Sokos hotels service and quality, but were pretty disappointed. The service was especially poor. Especially the check-out was a disaster. At 10 AM on a busy summer saturday, only one person was working at the reception, and not able to organize the service in any way. Also the personnel at the breakfast buffet were not very professional.

We slept in one of the non-renovated rooms. It was OK, not very well cleaned and a bit worn-out, but still decent. The view from the fourth floor is nice, but the traffic noise can be a bit disturbing.

The quality of breakfast buffet is behind other Sokos Hotels breakfasts, but still average for Finnish hotels.

For other amenities, the sauna department is average with a decent pool for a quick swim.

Room Tip: Try to get a renovated room - the reconstruction will continue another year.
  • Stayed: August 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 August 2017 via mobile

The sight of a jackhammer tearing apart the hotel entrance should have been enough of a warning. Sadly we checked in. After all the lobby was very classy. Although the staff only spoke Finnish we managed to check in.

Next shock was that the hallways and rooms looked as if time has stood still since 1980. Cigarette smell, worn out carpets and dust all over the place. The furniture was falling apart and our room hadn't been properly cleaned for quite some time. Ironically the vacuum cleaner was parked out in the hallway. Perhaps that's where they left it once it broke down, who knows?

Looking down the corridor you'll see half the floor has been closed for renovation. You'll also notice the door to the cleaning storage is unlocked and wide open at night.

After discussing the rooms sad state with the evening staff down at the reception we got a different room. The "new" room was also not that well cleaned. Also in need of some maintenance.

Breakfast was OK but nothing spectacular. Especially not the stacks of half washed plates at the buffet. The dishwashers seem to care just as little about hygiene as the cleaners maintaining the rooms.

Talking to the service manager in the morning we got a voucher for a complimentary stay in a Sokos hotel. At least a bit of comfort. Also, the manager actually did apologise for our discomfort.

Stayed: July 2017
Presidentti, Asiakaspalvelujohtaja at Original Sokos Hotel Presidentti, responded to this reviewResponded 7 August 2017

Dear Omar U,

Thank you for staying at Original Sokos Hotel Presidentti. We appreciate your feedback. We apologize that you encountered so many issues during your stay and that we were unable to meet your expectations.
We assure you that we will consider the problems you have mentioned with our housekeeping management and do our very best to improve the cleanliness and amenities of our hotel rooms and other premises.
I would like to share with you that we are in the half way with our renovation plan. We do hope you will give us another chance once we have completed our renovation projects.

With best regards,