“Well priced and decent food”

American Style Diner
Ranked #220 of 514 Restaurants in Reykjavik
Cuisines: American
Description: American style is a chain of restaurants in Iceland that have been around for years. We serve Hamburgers, Steaks, fish, salad and more with style.
Reviewed 25 April 2017 via mobile

Cute little find with decent vegan/vegetarian options. The price wasn't bad at all and the strawberry milkshake was lovely! Free refills on drinks like coke, lemonade etc.

Reviewed 23 April 2017 via mobile

Now, make no mistake, eating out in Iceland is a costly activity so finding a place like this is a real gift. We went there for an evening meal. A couple of really good burgers, all sorts are on offer, plus fries ( medium fries, too many for my wife to consume!) we also had a couple of soft drinks which to my surprise meant being given a glass and shown the dispensing machine for unlimited top ups.....Wow. The interior is American themed with sixties kinda music playing. A really nice feel to the place.
It does takeaway as well. Ordering was simply telling the staff at the front desk what you wanted and, having paid, heading off to the seating to await the food.
Like I said, cost can be an issue so and we found that even the most sensible eat out would come in at about 70 or 80 quid this place was pretty much half of that at just under 40 pounds for the two of us. I would definitely recommend a visit and would certainly go again..

1  Thank Yahdahdee
Reviewed 11 April 2017 via mobile

Visited the American Diner with my wife for a few drinks whilst in Reykjavik. Reykjavik is expensive for food and drink, but we found the American Diner really reasonable. A pint of Gull lager (which tastes nice) is 800ISK and a pint of Somersby cider was 1150ISK, so a total of 1950ISK for two drinks. At the time of traveling the ISK/GBP FX rate was 130ISK=£1, so the round cost £15 - which for Reykjavik is really quite reasonable.

The bar itself is nice inside, it was showing Premier League games when we went. Loads of screens, loads of seats, and great selection of American-style food - e.g. burger and chips.

I would recommend this bar.

Reviewed 23 March 2017

Order and pay at the counter, get your drinks with free refills and they bring the meal to the table when it is ready. The medium basket of fries is really big and more than enough for 2 people. Pictures on the walls of various music artist and a playroom for children. We enjoyed our meal. I would not compare it to McDonald's or Burger King maybe an Applebee's as it is a chain restaurant which we were unaware of that fact prior to eating here.

Reviewed 19 March 2017 via mobile

Traveling with my 17-yr. old across Iceland, we needed to stick to foods that I knew she would eat. Headed to the American Style Diner for burgers, Fries and shakes. Burgers appeared thin, so we ordered a double with cheese and it came out like a Big Mac with the extra bread in the middle. I promptly removed the bread and added ketchup ( everything comes with a thousand- island like pepper sauce. ) I ate the red pepper rings and cucumbers separately and Lauren ordered hers plain and dry. French fries were good with the addition of table side seasoned salt and she really enjoyed her chocolate shake! I was happy to see Coke Zero and it came in an 8 - ounce glass with free refills from the fountain.
Pictures of Iconic singers including Michael Jackson, Pink, REM, Aerosmith, Ozzy Osborne, Sons of Anarchy, Madonna, and Justin Timberlake, among others, adorned the walls, and they had a kids play area with movies, video games and toys to keep them occupied.
Prices were decent at 2 burgers, 1 Very Large fry , 1 soda and one shake for @$48.