“EXELANT HOTEL”

Big and comfortable room
very good dinner buffets
Helpfull staff
Free and good Wi-Fi
Went out of their way helping me get back a golden ring I forgot in the room, after I alredy left Iceland.
This is excellance beyond call

• Stayed: August 2017, travelled with friends
MPollyHansen, Manager at Grand Hotel Reykjavik, responded to this reviewResponded 12 September 2017

Write a ReviewReviews (1,773)

A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 14 August 2017 via mobile

Had a great stay at the Grand. Since our stay was short our main interaction was with the front desk. Very friendly and knowledgeable in all aspects. Special thanks to "Sigurd" (I hope that's spelled right) who made our early mornings very pleasant and "Frances" whom we had email correspondence before the trip. The distance to center is not very far of a walk about 20-30 mins but they also have a shuttle taking you into town which we never took advantage of. The rooms are clean and beds comfortable for a good night sleep which is needed when exploring the beautiful country of Iceland. We would definitely return to the same Hotel if we make it back. Until then thank you for a great stay.

Stayed: August 2017, travelled as a couple

Greetings from Grand hotel Reykjavík.
Thank you for your lovely comments and taking your time to mention our lovely staff members, Sigurður and Frances.
We look forward to welcome you again some day.
warm regards

Reviewed 13 August 2017 via mobile

I wanted to take Mr B somewhere for his 30th, so I looked at lots of different destinations, Dubai, Portugal, Tenerife, Cape Verde and even though they are all fantastic choices I wanted us to do something a little bit different, so I decided on a trip to Iceland to see the Northern Lights!

Having decided on where to go, next was when! I did some research and saw that the best time to see the Northern lights was in our Winter, and as I work in a school I was limited with time choices! So the best deal I found was for Boxing day (2016) for 3 nights.

There were lots of hotels to choose from in Reykjavik, so I again did my research, read reviews and finally decided upon the Grand Hotel.

I booked through Thomson as their prices included flights, transfers, bed and breakfast, and the excursions. The total price for 2 people, 3 nights was £1267. I was really hoping that it was going to be worth it!

Hotel

First impressions of the hotel was excellent. It is a tall building with glass windows, overlooking some lovely scenery. We were the 2nd airport drop off and arrived at the hotel around 12.30pm.

I had very good first impressions of the hotel and I feel it lived up to its ‘grand’ name. The lobby area included a bar with lovely seating areas, a water feature and a large reception desk. As we arrived boxing day, it had a lovely Christmas tree and decorations placed around. There were around another 10 people who got off the Thomson coach with us so we queued to check in.

Check-in

This was very efficient and quick. The receptionist was very friendly and informed us of all the relevant information, meal times, locations and gave us a map of the city. She also said that we had been upgraded to a suite room which was an added bonus! On the hotel website it states that check in is from 3pm. The receptionist said that our room was ready and we could check in straight away. She handed us our room key and off we went to our room. We were situated on the 9th floor, so headed to the lift!
Check out was just as efficient, we paid off our bill (mainly our bar drinks!), handed in the key and off we went!

Mr B says - “Good”

Rooms

The room was a good size. You walked through, past the door on the left for the bathroom, the wardrobes were on the right. There you had large windows at the far end of the room. We didn’t have the best view, as on the other side of the hotel you would have a view of the mountains, ours was more overlooking the city and the main road. I presume you would have to pay extra for these rooms!
The bed was 2 singles pushed together, I have heard that this is quite common in Icelandic hotels. It was a comfortable bed, plenty of pillows and covers and we had 3 good nights sleep in it, so there was no complaints. There was also a fridge in the room (empty), a TV with some English channels, tea making facilities, iron and ironing board, hairdryer and safe (free of charge). This was everything we needed.
The bathroom was again a good size, with a walk in shower, and bath tub. The shower was very powerful and hot, which was perfect after a long cold day outside! The tourist rep on the coach to the hotel was talking about being aware of the smell from the water in the bathrooms, but we didn’t see this as a problem and could barely smell anything! There was hand and shower gel in the bathroom, there were no other toiletries but I don’t see this as a negative! I have read other reviews which complain about this!

The rooms were cleaned each day we were there, and for our short stay they were perfect!

The only thing I wonder about, is that we were apparently ‘upgraded’. I would like to know what our original double room would have been like, as I don’t think I would have paid extra for this room given the option!
Be aware- There are some rooms which overlook the lobby inside the hotel, I would not have liked one of these rooms!

Mr B says- “Good”

Food!

We booked a bed and breakfast option, there are half board and full board options available. We ate breakfast each morning we were there and on each occasion it was more than adequate. There was plenty of choice, hot and cold, and we were both filled up ready for the day. There was a continental choice, toast, bacon, eggs, sausage, cereal etc. The restaurant was fairly big, and we didn’t have to queue to wait to go in, however I can imagine that it does get more busy depending on the time you go in. The staff were very good and quickly cleared away tables.
There is a restaurant where you can have an evening meal, this had a good choice on, but was expensive. There is a lounge menu, which has sandwiches and burgers on etc, which we ordered from once. We both had a sandwich with chips which was very nice!

Mr B says- “Alright, expensive”

Drinks

Drinks in Iceland are expensive. Iceland is expensive. The hotel (and other bars around Reykjavik) have many offers on, we made use of our 50% off between 5pm-7pm in our hotel bar, some fantastic cocktails! They would usually cost around £15, so I definitely got my money worth between 5-7pm! We thought that it would have been really busy in the bar at these times, but it wasn’t! Some people don’t know a good deal when they see it!

Mr B says- “Expensive”

Location, location, location

This is one of the sticking points with this hotel, and after reading lots of reviews beforehand, we had no idea whether the hotel was a 20 minute walk away from the city centre or a 60 minute walk away!

There are 2 ways (which we know of) to walk into the centre.
1. Along the seafront- this takes longer, (even without the photo stops!) but is a lovely walk with lovely views, it is a straight path which takes you right into the centre- moderate pace- 40 minute walk
2. Along the back streets, still again a straight pathway, though not as scenic-moderate pace- 25 minute walk.

We knew when we booked that we would have to walk to the city centre, (the hotels in the centre were around £100 more). This did not bother us and we enjoyed the walks, even in the snowstorms! It all added to our Icelandic experience!
The hotel does offer a shuttle bus 3 times a day to the centre, but it does not offer one back to the hotel. Taxi’s are easy to locate, but my advice would be- If you don’t want to walk, book another hotel.

Mr B says- “Good for the price”.

Overall

This hotel was a great base for us. We were out most days and nights, so only spent a short amount of time here to warm up, get changed, and a couple of drinks. We did stay in 1 night at the hotel and had a lovely time. It was a very calm, relaxing atmosphere with Christmas songs playing. There are lots of people coming and going from the hotel, but this did not affect us. We sat with our drinks enjoying the surroundings.

I would recommend this hotel as a good base, if you are planning on a short stay which includes trips out. If you are wanting to spend more time in and around the hotel I would recommend a hotel in the city centre, and there is plenty of them! I think the location of the hotel would be the deciding factor, to walk or not to walk!

Mr B says- “Very good”

P.S
But just to let you know…did we see the Northern Lights? NO! Did it ruin our experience? NO! Would we go to Iceland again? Definitely!

Mr B says- “Thank you Mrs B!”

Ps- I apologise for the messy room in the pictures- MUST ALWAYS TAKE PICTURES ON ARRIVAL! NOT DEPARTURE!

Stayed: December 2016, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Siy-and-Stace
MPollyHansen, Manager at Grand Hotel Reykjavik, responded to this reviewResponded 20 September 2017

Siy-and-Stace

Thank you very much for taking the time to write this 4-star review. As to your comment about the other toiletries in the bathroom; because of our environmental policy, we do not put in the room all the amenities. We always provide guests for extra amenities when asked. We are happy to hear that you enjoyed our services and your stay here in Reykjavik. Your comments will be shared with our entire staff, as reinforcement to continue their efforts to make the Grand Hotel a leader in excellence.

Reviewed 9 August 2017 via mobile

I stayed in this hotel for one week with my wife and 3 kids. I need to start with the Concierge desk with Frances Harber. Even before our arrival she had made the difference. Our trip would have not been the same without her expertise, knowledge and help. She practically solved all my issues and questions in a very timely manner and also saved me $ on changing our tours around.
The breakfast buffet was included in our rate which was complete and also excellent. Many different choices to pick from and staff very attentive and friendly.
I cannot give the hotel 5 stars due to the LOCATION and LACK of a good restaurant at the hotel.
Most of the restaurants, shopping and nightlife are in the Center of town and Taxis are extremely expensive in Iceland. So having to take taxis into town and back becomes a budget of its own. A 5 minute taxi ride is around US$25-US$27
I suggest the hotel set up a shuttle service for guests to solve this problem.
The rest is perfect

Stayed: August 2017, travelled with family

Enrique A

Thank you for your kind words and mentioning Frances Harber. We are so thankful having her as a part of our team. Grand Hotel Reykjavik offers their guests a free shuttle service five times in a day from the hotel to the city center. Should you decide to visit our beautiful city again, Grand Hotel and all the team will be delighted to welcome you again.

Reviewed 9 August 2017 via mobile

Breakfast & Dinner buffets exceed expectations.
Try to avoid 7-8am breakfast buffet due to Tour Bus crowd.

Unplug hotel room refrigerator if its compressor is too loud.
Bring eye shades due to midnight sun.

Stayed: August 2017, travelled with family

Dear forcesailor

Thank you so much for choosing our hotel as your preferred accommodation and for taking the time to share your comments after your recent stay with us!