“Feel at home” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of I Heart Reykjavik

I Heart Reykjavik
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: I Heart Reykjavik is a small family run company in Reykjavik that specializes in one thing: making your stay in Reykjavik the best it can be. We do that by offering unique and interesting experiences and partnering with companies that we know will take good care of you. Our main product is the I Heart Reykjavik Walking Tour that has been featured in publications such as the New York Times, New York Magazine, Irish Times and on numerous travel blogs. If you need a bit more flexibility or you just want to keep your guide to yourself you can also look into booking our Private Walking Tour. Finally we just introduced a great new Crash Course in Icelandic which will be available from May 2015. We care about social responsibility, honesty and integrity and we try to reflect that in everything we do. We also love what we do and count our blessings every day. We heart this city and we want you to heart it too.
Hertfordshire England
48 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 81 helpful votes
“Feel at home”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 January 2015

Auður's tour is something special. She knows the usual tourist info, but what she adds is the love of her home which she passes on. It was like being taken round by a very knowledgeable friend. She left you feeling like you really knew the place, rather than just knowing the tourist bits. Our only regret was that the tour wasn't the minute we arrived in Reykjavik as she had so many useful tips. She is a fantastic ambassador for her country. Highly recommended.

Visited December 2014
2 Thank sarh

• Thai first
Washington DC, District of Columbia
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Great Walk and especially good web prep!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 January 2015

Her Reykjavik walking tour was just the icing on the cake of a wonderful website full of great information and podcasts that help a visitor to iceland get ready in every season for every kind of activity they might encounter. She also answers email questions personally and quickly and provides great insight into other fun things to do. Thank you Audur.

Visited November 2014
1 Thank bjpolo
Cincinnati, Ohio
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 39 helpful votes
“Walk this way......talk this way!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 December 2014

I followed Auður's blog prior to our visit so I would recommend signing up for that as well.

Definitely recommend pre-planning for the tour early on (day 1 would be ideal) in your trip. You can sign up and pay for the walking tour on line and if you don't see the date/offering you're looking for, just shoot her an e-mail.

Our particular tour was a little compromised on time due to the very cold weather and limited # of stops as most shops were closed for the holiday, but this is a one off.

Auður brought each couple/family on the tour a small Christmas present - she knitted the cutest little lopapeysa sweater ornament! I have it on my tree now!

You can tell she really cares and goes the extra mile.

I recommend bringing her something small, quirky or local from your hometown too since tipping is not the norm in Iceland this is a nice way to say "thank you".

Visited December 2014
1 Thank CriticalinChicago
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 13 helpful votes
“Auður = Awesome”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 December 2014

I had been researching extensively on activities, eateries, places to stay, places to go etc, and a fair bit of this research was obtained via Auður's FANTASTIC I Heart Reykjavik Blog. Reading her blog, I felt reassured, and excited to visit the city. So when I read about her offering tours, I eagerly booked us on it!

We met Auður at Hallgrímskirkja, (don't worry, if you're in Reykjavik, you can't miss it!) and chatted briefly while waiting for the other members of our tour. Once assembled, Auður then spoke about the tour, and about her history with her hometown, and we then explored the streets and secret hideaways, whilst Auður gave us fascinating insights into the history and stories of Reykjavik and Icelanders, as well as answering our many questions!

We had a great few hours with Auður, and because our group was small, we even got a bonus add-on to the tour, which led to outside Parliment House, where were were somewhat surprised by an old Icelandic lady, who initially wished us well, then began ranting about corruption and other things within Icelandic government. Auður handled this interruption like a pro! - And with lots of humour too!

Auður's style is personal, comedic, and unique, and despite researching for weeks before coming to Reykjavik, we still learnt LOADS about this fantastic city.

We would HIGHLY recommend the I Heart Reykjavik Walking Tour, and after completing it, We Heart Reykjavik too!!

Visited October 2014
3 Thank Sarah B
Tempe, Arizona
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Auður (tour guide) > Google”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 December 2014

Do this tour.

Like you, dear Trip Advisor reader, I did a ton of google research on things to do in Reykjavik before coming, but they all seemed too "touristy". Think about it, if you're googling in English, they obviously know you're a tourist and you're not getting the real scoop on what locals think are the best thing to do in Iceland. Targeted search results amiright?

This tour is for those of us trying to escape the pre-packaged touristy events despite the fact that we are, indeed, very much tourists.

Auður's recommendations for places to eat and visit are solid. The tour was a nice beginning to a day of exploring the city. I got my sense of direction, and from the information gained during the tour, I revised my original plan about what to do with the rest of the day.

It wasn't like other walking tours I've been on. She obviously talks about Reykjavik's history quite a bit, but there is extra emphasis on useful information. Her advice will improve the quality of your stay.

For example:

Do you need a briefing on the social norms and culture of Iceland? Auður will enlighten you, and rescue you from potentially uncomfortable situations!
Are you desperate to know how to say "hello" and "thank you" in Icelandic because you're not a jerk? Relax. Auður has got you covered.
Need to know the best place to taste the local beers? Auður's got the hookup.

Two unexpected surprises:
1. We saw a lot of impressive hidden street art
2. Auður's sense of humor is subtle but hilarious. I had a great time.

This is an obvious choice. Do it.

TL;DR?
Lighthearted tour of interesting facts and useful information. 10/10 would do again.

Visited November 2014