Review of Gianni's

Price range: US$6 - US$37
Cuisines: Italian, International
Good for: Romantic, View
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Description: My son Stefano and I moved from Torino, in the North West of Italy, to Gozo after coming here on holiday several times. The reason is that we were in love with the people, the way of live and the sea that this island was offering us. Here we noticed that the italian cooking is well known and reproduced mainly concerning courses that belong to the South of Italy. On the contrary, we've hardly had the pleasure to taste some of the ones from the North. In order to supply to this lack, we would like to introduce some of the traditional courses from the North of Italy and, in the same time, to propose the favourite local dishes (excellent fish, savoury meat, ripe vegetables...) but differently cooked, following our own special style.We will try to make you experience unprecedented flavours, discover unknown virtues of already famous food in a friendly and relaxed atmosphere where to spend happy hours. We will make any effort to make you satisfied. Thank you.Gianni
Reviewed 23 May 2015

Having been a visitor to Gozo for many years, I had driven past Giannis countless times, but never ventured in. I'd even stopped outside and browsed the menu, but it had looked very similar to the almost generic menu found on the Island.
However, thanks to it being rated number 1 in Xaghra on TripAdvisor, my father & I decided to give it a try. I'm so glad we did!
Stefano introduced himself, and the ethos of their restaurant. Nothing was ever frozen, everything was always fresh, and seasonal. We both ordered from the daily specials, which were described with great passion and enthusiasm.
Our starters of Anchovies with Red and also Green sauce were simple, yet delicious. Served with crisp galleti, and freshly baked bread, I could have eaten double the portion!
I had a Thai curry for my main, which is not something I'd normally go for, normally opting for a more local or traditional dish, however, due to the fact that I had the start of a cold, and I was advised by Stefano that Gianni had spent the winter in Thailand, I thought 'why not?'.
It was very nicely spiced, with the sort of heat you'd hope for, lots of fresh vegetables and a deceptively large portion of rice.
My father had the Chicken with anchovies, which was moist, tender and very tasty.
Our wine choice wasn't available but the alternative was very good indeed.
We were lucky enough to sit in the enclosed balcony and watch the sun setting over Masalforn, so if you can, book a balcony table as this adds to the great ambiance.
Thank you Stefano & Gianni, I will be back!

Reviewed 20 May 2015

Xaghra, on Gozo, is blessed with a number of really good places to eat and drink....Gianni's is one of them, on the edge of the village overlooking the Marsalforn valley and town.
The Father and son team, from Northern italy, have brought their passion and their culinary tastes and skills to Gozo using only fresh local ingredients that they buy for a weekly menu.
The starters we chose were Anchovies in red sauce and green sauce, these sauces are the basis of a lot of dishes from the Piedmont region and the dish was delicious. I don't normally order chicken in restaurants, but my main dish sounded different and followed on with the anchovy theme..... the Chicken with Anchovies was one of the tastiest and most succulent I've eaten, and my daughters Thai Curry was delicious too.
They seem to be changing the wine list, and didn't have my choice of south american Malbec, so with a large selection from Piedmont, I went with Stefano's suggestion, which was very nice if not a bit pricey. I suggested a maltese vineyard (Meridiana) could supply delicious local wine.
All in all, a very nice evening, we will go again

Reviewed 17 May 2015

Wow -This place is amazing. The food is all freshly produced, and none from frozen, each item on the specials menu is described at length, around it's source & origins. The menu is changed weekly as fresh produce is brought into the restaurant. The restaurant is a short walk (up a hill) from Marsalforn, which is well worth it for the spectacular views alone; especially of the sunset.
The waiter & chef (father & son) will visit during your meal, to check all is to your satisfaction - absolute perfection is what we received, from the quality of the food to the impeccable service. Highly recommended.

4  Thank Martutd
Reviewed 11 May 2015 via mobile

From Gianni's mouth watering cooking to Stefano's impeccabile service, an experience to be relished by everyone! A truly tasteful dining experience. Recommended a million times over.

2  Thank Wazzaa87
Reviewed 3 May 2015 via mobile

Watching the glorious sunset, we were given the warmest welcome ever by Stefano who talked us through the interesting menu of freshly prepared Italian fare. Eating at Gianni's is truly the perfect combination of Stefano's charisma and warmth and Gianni's expertise in the kitchen. These people know their food and serve it with a love and passion that is difficult to beat. From their homemade bread, pasta with gorgonzola and truffles, to authentic Thai Green Curry followed by strawberries marinated in red wine - Gianni's is a highly recommended culinary experience. We cannot wait to go again.

4  Thank MiffyN