US$153
US$160
US$155
  • Breakfast included
  • Free Internet
All reviewsprince charlesvictoria hotelmezzanine floorthe main hotel buildingpenny black barprivate hospitalrooftop poolplenty of sun loungersgreat facilitiesloved maltabuffet breakfastwould definitely stay here againair conditioningreception staffshort breakvisit maltathe bus
Reviewed 14 September 2017

We recently stayed at the Palazzo Capua which is part of the AX Hotels Group in Malta.
We stayed for a week and we really enjoyed our room. We stayed in one of the Deluxe Suites (The Tagliaferro Suite) and it was extremely spacious with a massive balcony which came in handy.
There are only 5 rooms (suites) in this building so it feels very exclusive and private. It is adjacent to the Victoria Hotel which is where you have your buffet breakfast (which is included). The swimming pool (which is amazing) and the bars and restaurants are also located at the Victoria Hotel on the (9th) top floor. The distance from the Palazzo Capua to the main hotel building (Victoria Hotel) is only about 30 metres away (less than 1 minute). I would recommend this place without hesitation.

Room Tip: We stayed in the Tagliaferro Suite which has a great balcony.
  • Stayed: September 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Remo0438
Kevin_Callus, General Manager at Palazzo Capua, responded to this reviewResponded 15 September 2017

Dear Remo0438,

We are delighted that Palazzo Capua left such a good impression on you from beginning to end.

Many thanks for placing your positive review about your recent stay at Palazzo Capua on TripAdvisor. Your feedback is of utmost importance to all the Management and staff.

We look forward to the pleasure of welcoming you back at Palazzo Capua for further impressive stays.

Reviewed 2 September 2017

We stayed at Palazzo Capua end of August, Principo Francesco Suite, paying over 900€ for 5 nights. I'm mostly of the opinion that "value for money" has to be considered too when rating a service or a hotel, as expectations are generated according to the prize paid.

Let's start with the POSITIVE:

- The detached historical building has 5 suites, ours was very large. Interesting emotional architecture impact when you arrive, especially from outside.
- The young reception and roof top pool Staff (Russian, Polish, Serbian etc...), friendly, ready to smile and listen at all times.
- Car parking for 2€ a day in town, that's excellent.
- Wifi works correctly, most of the time.

NEGATIVE:

- We arrived on two different flights, so we needed to check in twice (that's ok), but what's unacceptable is that the first time the young lady at the reception asked me if she could help me with my luggage but when I saw the trainee coming around the desk I didn't feel too comfortable being a strong men and knowing I had a 20kg in my suitcase, getting this done by a young lady half my size and weight didn't seem appropriate. I was right, walking in the August heat from my car to the building and then very large stairs up one floor with my luggage wasn't even easy for me, I think the girl wouldn't have managed it. When my companion arrived, she had even a larger suitcase, we passed through the second "welcome" process and I was amazed nobody even asked if we needed assistance to get a huge suitcase (it was visible on the floor for everyone) to the other building and up one floor... I have stayed in 2, 3, 4 and 5 star facilities throughout my life and have even met with employees at pensions that were so kind to help you with small luggage when you do not expect it.

- At the reception they informed us they had only one key for the Suite (??). Yes, no joke, that's true, and especially surprising when you see that there are two doors to enter the building + room, and the door to your room must be locked with the key if you do not want anyone from outside to get in. Maybe you can imagine what that means. If one person needs to leave the room while the other stays, the door must be closed from outside with the key if you didn't want anyone to get in. You have two options, either to leave the door open while your companion is taking a shower, per example, but at night that wouldn't be possible because you need the first key to get into the building... or close the door with the key, while going out and returning. In the meantime your companion is locked inside the room as long as you're not back... no joke.

- So once you enter the room, with the surprise of the luggage and the key which is probably not the best welcome expected, you open the mini bar and... its empty! I was amazed, I mean you get into your room, you come from an international flight, it's hot and... nothing! There is not even a bottle of water. It was not a mistake, I asked the reception and they told me that it was normal, I think even the staff was a bit ashamed... One night we came back from a dinner and a walk, and a helpful staff person at the reception took some keys and walked into the bar to get us some drinks. The other option would've been a dispenser machine with soft drinks and water like those you can find in train stations or gyms... wow effect!

- Very weak in matters cleanliness. While opening my hand luggage a cable of my mobile phone fell between a closet and a sofa, so I needed to move the sofa. The dust and dirtiness I could see just under the sofa that I moved was totally unacceptable. After getting my cable, I wanted to find the correct light switches and as the light next to my side couldn't be turned on, I needed to move the table next to the bed, to see if the cable was plugged in (it was not plugged in...).The view was more than terrible, at that stage and even more after finding a long air inside the bed (trust me, it's not a joke, I even showed it to an employee who came inside the room and I told him "don't worry, this can happen") it was clear to me that something was not in order at Palazzo Capua.

- Breakfast and breakfast time. It's a totally "commercial breakfast", both in terms of atmosphere and quality. It is served at the adjacent Palace hotel, so cramped some people are moved inside the bar next to the main breakfast "hall" without any window and where all table are set in rows. All the products are of medium quality, they look as they come directly from the supermarket onto the buffet tables, except the fresh melon and watermelon. On another point, while this is certainly my subjective point of view, I find it surprising for a supposedly higher rated hotel at a holiday destination, that breakfast terminates at 10.00... Pardon me, but as I'm coming to relax for a short break, and working hard for the rest of the year, I would have loved to have an option until 11.00 which is the habitual service in any 4 and 5 star I have stayed so far.

- Roof top swimming pool. It is a pool they call "infinity pool" indeed you have an excellent view over Sliema, but let's clarify that it is more a "large jacuzzi" with a dimension of I guess 10 x 5 meters (not exaggerating, or maybe 11 by 4 meters). The same as the "cramped breakfast hall", it's full of people, no way to have some discretion at all. Many young waiters from around the world running around, smiling, but not very professional (sorry for that, but both times I was there they made quite some avoidable mistakes in attending us). And, just take a look at the menu and you feel the management just doesn't care, they are "missing" or do not see what's going on. My question is, what would it cost to print a new, nice and clean menu once in a while, so transmitting the idea of care and respect towards your clients?

- Air conditioning. I don't consider to be a very demanding person in terms of air conditioning, I like warm climates, but being inside a suite to suffer the heat and don't sleep well due to insufficient air conditioning is a quite of a negative experience. My humble recommendation would be to change/renew the apparatus or tell the maintenance to fix it.

Executive summary: If it wouldn't have been for the efforts of the staff, friendly and collaborative, I would have rated this hotel even less. I truly hope this negative judgement will help the management to get things done in a more professional way or to adapt their prices and information to what is the reality of the Palazzo Capua. It's sold as 4 or 5 star, though offering a three star service, not more for sure.

• Stayed: August 2017, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Alextraveller48
Kevin_Callus, General Manager at Palazzo Capua, responded to this reviewResponded 11 September 2017

Dear Alextraveller48,

On behalf of The Management and Staff, I would like to thank you for sparing some time to post your review on TripAdvisor.

I am extremely disappointed to hear that your stay with us did not live up to your expectations and would like to apologize on behalf of all the team at Palazzo Capua. It is only through your feedback and suggestions that we keep improving our product to ensure expectations are met.

Hope that our commitment to continuously improve will make you change your mind to re-visit our hotel in the future.

Reviewed 18 August 2017

Having previously stayed at the sister hotel The Victoria we tried the Palazzo Capua and were not disappointed. We were in The Prince Charles suite and found it to be very spacious and comfortable. The Palazzo was very quiet during our stay despite everything being fully booked and we were not disturbed by street noise or guests. Guests access the facilities in the Victoria and their other hotel The Palace and we had half board finding all meals plentiful, good choice and staff attentive, the pool facilities were very good with plenty of sun loungers. We have found all staff very helpful and pleasant and cannot do enough to make your stay enjoyable. The area is much quieter than staying on Sliema front but still only a short walk to get to the ferries, bars, shops etc. Very easy to get into Valletta either by bus or ferry. My only comments on improvement would be make the pool area no smoking, the background music around the pool can be little loud if you want to relax and listen to an audio book ( in my opinion) , the carpet in the Prince Charles Suite definitely needs a good cleaning and 1 free bottle of water left in your room would be a much better level of service than having to pay nearly 3 euros for the one provided. All in all excellent week and will return and recommend to anyone.

Room Tip: All rooms are up steps and no lift so be aware if mobility problems but staff brought our luggage to the room.
  • Stayed: August 2017, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Ossygirl
Kevin_Callus, General Manager at Palazzo Capua, responded to this reviewResponded 21 August 2017

Dear Ossygirl,

Thank you for placing your positive comments about your stay at Palazzo Capua on Tripadvisor. We love to hear what our guests have to say about their experiences at The Palazzo Capua.

We always go through our guests' comments with considerable interest as your feedback keeps us informed regarding what our guests like or dislike.

Looking forward to having you back at The Palazzo Capua again soon.

Reviewed 2 August 2017 via mobile

We stayed at the Palazzo Capua in Malta for a week, the suite was wonderful, loads of space & very clean, my only gripe is the carpet & lounge sofa in the Prince Charles suite could do with an upgrade looking very tired. The bedroom only had a wardrobe so there was no where to put tops & underwear so had to keep them in the suitcase which was a bit annoying. If like me you like drying or straightening your hair in front of a mirror you will have to ask for an extension lead. The staff in the Victoria Hotel which is next door & which you have full use of facilities are very helpful and can't do enough to help, I noted that some people complained about the breakfast, why I don't know there was everything you could possibly want & a wide range to cover everyone's needs, the Palazzo is also conveniently situated for both the beach & ferry to Valletta. We enjoyed our week & would return but a nice bottle of cold water in the fridge would be welcoming after a long journey.

Stayed: July 2017, travelled as a couple
2  Thank FlowerfairyKent
Kevin_Callus, General Manager at Palazzo Capua, responded to this reviewResponded 4 August 2017

Dear FlowerfairyKent,

Looking forward to having you back at The Palazzo Capua again soon.

Reviewed 29 May 2017

On arrival you go to the Hotel Victoria just next door to Pallazzo Capua. The staff there are delightful and can not do enough for you however, the standard of the hotel is way below the standard of the Pallazzo room/suites. Well decorated with a bed on a mezzanine floor is well furnished with a dining table, sofa and a good sized bathroom. Two doors open out onto a terrace which overlooks a new private hospital which is very quiet.
Breakfast was dreadful, all self service with the cooked offering sweating in covered dishes, press a button for the coffee and the fruit on offer was tinned pears or peaches and wedges of orange or apple that are seen at half time on a rugby pitch.
Why not serve breakfast in the suite on the dining table? Use fresh local fruits found on Mediterranean islands. Thee is a 5 star hotel next door maybe they serve a better breakfast.
What a shame, the staff are so good and professional but let down by poor breakfast.

Room Tip: Book Bed only breakfast is poor, the suites are all different
  • Stayed: May 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank hippoqueen1
Kevin_Callus, General Manager at Palazzo Capua, responded to this reviewResponded 30 May 2017

Dear hippoqueen1,

Your feedback on TripAdvisor regarding your recent stay at Palazzo Capua is most appreciated and acknowledged.

All comments and suggestions made by our guests are discussed at Management level as this reflects what our guests enjoy and expect from us here.

We do hope to see you again in the not too distant future.