US$289
Book now, pay at stay
US$103
US$95
Savings alert! 28% below average rates

The price you found is 28% lower than this hotel's average rate of US$132/night.

US$292
US$125
US$118
Priceline
  • Restaurant
Renaissance Wien Hotel(Vienna)(Great Value!)
US$83
US$67
Priceline
  • Room Service
US$518
US$381
RitzCarlton.com
  • Pool
All reviewsminute walkfree wifino liftchristmas marketsmall balconyhotel is locatedair concitycafesconveniencering
Reviewed 9 January 2018

I did NOT stay at the Hotel Pension Baron am Shottentor, but I would still like to submit a review about their rude behaviour.
Unfortunately, I had to cancel my trip to Vienna for the booked days as my partner had to urgently go to the hospital. We informed the hotel in case we could claim some of our money back, as the cancellation was due to a health issue (we could also provide the medical report if requested). We knew that our cancellation was last-minute, so we did not have great expectations. However, we thought there was nothing to lose to call and ask. My partner's native language is German so he called them from the hospital on the day we were supposed to stay there. The lady at the reception said that unfortunately, they can't return any money to us. This was expected and was clearly written in their policies, so no problem at all. However, the lady insisted on asking my partner whether we would show up the day after (our stay was for two days). My partner explained to her that since we were at the hospital, we couldn't make any plans at that specific moment. In the end, the lady said that he should call her immediately when he finds out, better as early in the morning as possible. And this is how the phone call ended. She did not even say anything like have a nice recovery or get better soon. I don't know why she cared that much about whether we could come to the hotel, since we had already paid the room and she made it explicit that we won't receive any money back. I hope that they did not have intentions of double-booking the room, but in any case, both my partner and I feel that it is UNACCEPTABLE from a four-star hotel to be that rude when the person who is calling faces a health issue! To make it clear, we are not complaining about the refund we did not get, because the hotel was right about this. We are complaining about those annoying questions of the receptionist and the lack of courtesy towards a client who had to cancel his plans because of a sudden serious disease!!!

• Stayed: January 2018, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Linaki212
baron_am_shottentor, Leiter Gästebetreuung at Hotel Pension Baron am Schottentor, responded to this reviewResponded 16 January 2018

Dear Linaki212,
we are sorry to hear about your experience at our hotel pension (it is not = 4star hotel, it is a Vineese speciality of hotel pension) and will examine this situation. However, I can reaussure you that our receptionist did not mean to be rude, as English is not their first language, and not everyone speaks fluently (or understands perfectly depending on the accent) and can reorient themselves quickly on the phone (how to react etc).
Also in 90% guests who would like to cancel their reservation claim that they are 'sick', trying to get free of cancellation (and if we do not cancel, the guest are 'cured' and come to the hotel still).

Please accept our apology, we will have a training with the young staff in this regard. We are trying at the hotel pension our best. I really hope you could handle your sickness quickly and are already recovered back home!

Wishing you a great day and best regards from Vienna,
Yours Hotel Pension Baron

Reviewed 3 January 2018

Can't beat the location of hotel. 5 minute to subway, 10 minute walk to Christmas Market, 15 minute walk to all of the museums and center of city. Our room was clean, quiet, and the front desk was very helpful. Did not take breakfast as we wanted to try cafes. However, great bagel place right next door.
I would definitely stay again.

Room Tip: Our room faced the street but it was very quiet. We had room 108
  • Stayed: December 2017, travelled with friends
Reviewed 18 December 2017 via mobile

Great hotel in terms of location. 5 minute walk to the underground, about 10 minutes walk to the Rathaus huge Christmas Market. We arrived just before check in time and as we were walking up the stairs were met by receptionist who stated she was "just going for lunch" but would check us in anyway. We felt we were inconveniencing her. As others have said the reception is not 24hrs which having stayed in countless hotels over the world seemed a bit odd so felt more like a b and b than a hotel. Room was very big and warm (Room 106). Strange not to have a door to the shower room though. Toilet was a separate cubicle opposite. The shelf above the sink was ridiculous. Would hit your head every time you brush your teeth or wash your face. TV only had one working English channel....bbc news....all others worked intermittently or not at all. Although our room looked onto the main road it wasn't noisy. Pillows were very flat but because of the restricted reception times we didn't get to ask for extras until our third night.

I would say it's a good hotel to just rest your head but nothing more so in that sense probably bit overpriced. Shame as the main reception area and staircase is lovely and room overall was ok....there could be so much potential to this place. Didn't have breakfast as plenty of places nearby to eat...the bagel shop next door was very good!

Stayed: December 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 6 November 2017

I recommend it for a city break, it has all the necessary qualities for a comfortable stay. the room was very clean, free WiFi and for a small amount you can get breakfast (fresh food, not many options for vegetarians though) as well. The staff is very friendly and helpful.
The staircase in the hotel and the lounge are rustic, wish they kept the same decoration in the rooms. The room is more modern in design. Had the chance to look under the bed for an item I dropped and it was full of dust bunnies, but all in all fairly clean.
The big plus is the location, you can get to the centre in a 10 minute walk and you are close to convenience stores and different restaurants that provide a quick bite or a long dinner.
There is no fridge in the room, but you have a safe box.

Room Tip: First floor gives you a view over the street.
  • Stayed: November 2017, travelled with family
Reviewed 1 November 2017

The hotel was in a very good location, 20min walk to downtown and a tram going in front of it, 5min walk to metro. The hotel is a part of a block of houses: entrance is a bit difficult to find, as the reception that is officially in the 1st floor, is actually in the 3rd floor (the 1st one being the gound floor and the 2nd is some sort of middle floor).

The room itself was spacious and cosy. The bathroom wasn't. It wasn't renovated like in the hotel promo pictures, and there was mold. On the second day we asked for a new room because of my allergies, and we got a new room with a same looking bathroom but with less mold. The first room was right next to the breakfast room (very noisy), it had view to the park. The second room was quieter, with a small balcony to the street.

• Stayed: October 2017, travelled with family