“Too expensive”

Ranked #23 of 134 Dessert in Vienna
Price range: US$11 - US$29
Cuisines: Austrian, Cafe
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Lunch, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations, Takeout
Neighbourhood: Inner City
Description: Cafe Sacher Vienna offers the perfect chance to sample a typical Viennese coffee-house atmosphere and - of course - to treat yourself to a slice of the legendary Original Sacher-Torte. The Cafe Sacher, directly opposite the Opera House, is a popular meeting place in the center of Vienna. The windows of the conservatory fold away in the summer to make an open terrace that is the perfect place to soak up the sights and sounds of the city.
Reviewed 30 March 2018 via mobile

It is too expensive, we found better cakes paying less in other places. Yes, it is very famous, but I will not come back.

SacherHotels, Manager at Cafe Sacher Wien, responded to this reviewResponded 3 April 2018

Dear piolin t,

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your feedback about your visit here on TripAdvisor.

We appreciate your honest feedback concerning your experience. I am very sorry that we were not able to meet your expectations with our Original Sacher-Torte. The Original Sacher-Torte we serve to our valued guests is until today produced in 34 working steps all hand made. Like this, we ensure the high quality standards and produce it identically to the secret recipe invented in 1832.

We are very regret to hear that your visit to our Café Sacher Wien was not up to your expectations.

Kindest regards,

Reiner Heilmann

Write a ReviewReviews (15,662)

Reviewed 30 March 2018

Like most of the tourists in Vienna, we also waited in the lined of the famous coffee. It took us about 40 minutes before we sat and it was hard to describe the disappointment.
We ordered coffee and hot chocolate, both was tepid and not hot. The famous cake was too hard.
Today, I hear more and more people who were disappointed like us.
So my recommend - thinking well before standing in the long in line.

1  Thank Petach_13
SacherHotels, Manager at Cafe Sacher Wien, responded to this reviewResponded 4 April 2018

Dear Petach_13,

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your feedback with us about your most recent visit to Café Sacher Wien.

We are very concerned and regret to hear that your visit to our café was not up to your expectations and we would like to take this opportunity to apologize for all inconvenience caused regarding the waiting time. Please rest assured that we do not take your comments lightly and all points raised have been shared with our café team and all teams concerned to prevent recurrences.

While we can not change the past, it is to our utmost importance to regain your trust and we do hope we will be able to welcome you back and serve you in our usual high standards we are proud of.

Once again, we are truly sorry for your unpleasant experience and thank you for bringing this to our attention.

With kind regards,

Reviewed 30 March 2018

This is something of a Vienna institution that has to be visited.

Like Cafe Central is a must visit for its Apple Strudel, Cafe Sacher is a MUST visit for its Torte cake and a coffee.

Can be really busy with the tourists, but you will be sure to find a seat somewhere.

I ordered a coffee and cake, and was not badly priced i felt (just over 10 Euros).

While this place might not have the old time charm of Cafe Central, its high class charm is second to none, and a real must do.

Dear wanderer_scotland,

I am happy to read that you came to the "Sacher" and enjoyed your experience at the Café Sacher Wien. It brings us very great joy to read from our guests that they enjoy the royal atmosphere in our historic coffee house, the attentive service and had the chance to try our delicious Original Sacher-Torte. We are delighted to read that you relished the Original Sacher-Torte. The cake until today is produced in 34 working steps all hand made. Like this, we ensure the high quality standards and produce it identically to the secret recipe invented in 1832 by Franz Sacher.

Thank you again for sharing your experience and we look forward to serving you again in the not too distant future.

Best regards,

Reviewed 30 March 2018

I visited this cafe because it was recommended on Trip Advisor, and I needed a place to rest my feet for a bit after sightseeing all morning. I'd say overall it was an okay experience. The coffee was good, and the decor was beautiful inside. Unfortunately I think my waiter misunderstood my order. I asked for a chococino and he brought me a piece of chocolate cake with my drink that I didn't ask for, then charged me for it. The bathroom was so tiny, it made me laugh. Lastly, if you're looking for a place to chill for a bit, sip your coffee and enjoy atmospherics, this ain't it. My visit felt very rushed. My check showed up almost immediately after I ordered, and the waiter kept glancing over at my table as new customers were coming in. So to me it seemed like they were trying to usher me out of there as quickly as possible. So yeah, the coffee was good, but nothing really special. There's better places to go in Vienna.

Review collected in partnership with this restaurant

Dear Stephanie H,

We are very regret to hear that your visit to our Café Sacher Wien was not up to your expectations and we would like to take this opportunity to apologize for all inconvenience caused regarding the service and the missunderstanding about your order. Please rest assured that we do not take your comments lightly.

Kindest regards,

Reviewed 29 March 2018

We love to find out-of-the-way places and discover obscure local favorites, but sometimes the well-beaten path is the place to be, and this is a good example. Everyone knows one of the obligatory stops in Vienna is this famous cafe for a serving of their deliciously rich cake. Don't let the line out front deter you, it is a great experience and we felt it was worth the wait. In fact, our wait was not unreasonable and it passed pleasantly enough in conversation with our fellow visitors. Once inside, we were not rushed and had time to savor the experience and enjoy a nice cup of coffee with our cake. We've been disappointed with many so-called iconic European tourist spots, but the Hotel Sacher Cafe was not among them. This experience is a very happy memory. There is also a booth out front where you may purchase cakes to ship home. Approx 60 Euros to get one back to the US.

SacherHotels, Manager at Cafe Sacher Wien, responded to this reviewResponded 30 March 2018

Dear Lowcountry-Kid,

First of all, thank you very much for taking the time to share your positive feedback about your most recent visit to our Café Sacher Wien here on TripAdvisor with us. We are so happy that you had a good and memorable time.

Wishing you all the best and happy easter!

Kind regards,