The Berkeley Guest House
Cavendish Hotel(Eastbourne)
Haddon Hall Hotel(Eastbourne)
Imperial Hotel(Eastbourne)
  • Restaurant
All reviewsattic roomblack puddingfull english breakfastnice guesthousesea frontwarm roomtown centremain bedroomfluffy towelsfresh fruit saladbreakfasts were greatgreat showerparking permitfamily roomwarm welcomeon arrivalvisit eastbourne again
Reviewed 23 February 2018 via mobile

Another great stay again. Daniel the owner was a fantastic host as always. Would highly recommend a visit here. Brilliant Full English Breakfast. Very clean rooms. Right next to the sea front. Close to plenty of restaurants and shop's

Stayed: February 2018, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 February 2018 via mobile

Stayed overnight to attend a day at Brighton university Eastbourne campus. The room was very good and warm, and the bathroom was a lot bigger and nicer than I was expecting for a double room which only costs me £35 for the night. Would stay again if returned to the area.

Stayed: February 2018, travelled on business
Reviewed 5 February 2018

Having cancelled my booking in good time, this establishment proceeded to take payment, discussing non ethical practices. Would not trust any establishment who is happy taking this approach to people.

Stayed: February 2018, travelled with family
1  Thank rodney m
Ian M, Manager at The Berkeley Guest House, responded to this reviewResponded 8 February 2018

Thank you for your comments. Payment is taking automatically when cancelled if you cancel inside the 48hour policy. This is clearly stated on booking.com and will be explained to you before you go through the cancellation procedure.

You will only be charged if you cancelled within the cancellation period, this is automated so can not be changed.

If you feel this is incorrect, then please contact the booking agent you used to check this is correct.

Reviewed 4 February 2018 via mobile

My husband and I and our 2 sons (4 years & 19 months) visited for the weekend and could not be happier with the guesthouse.

The parking was brilliant - for £1 we got a permit scratch card meaning we could park right outside the hotel and the spaces were freely available (unlike Brighton!)

The location is super close to the theatre and to the wish tower and a short walk to town and to the pier.

All staff we met were exceptionally friendly with one of the guys offering to help my husband carry his bags in from the car. The girls at breakfast were also very friendly.

We stayed in the family room and it was just beyond perfect! The 2 bedrooms in the family room were just off a private hallway and my sons loved being able to walk between them. They also loved the bunk beds and having their own tv for the first time too. There was plenty of room for the travel cot (which the hotel provided for free along with some really cute cot bedding). My boys also loved the wallpaper in their room as along one wall it was VW campers and mopeds.

The main bedroom was super spacious and was nice and quiet. We didn’t end up having showers so can’t comment on that but everything was in good condition and spotlessly clean.

The breakfasts were great. A full choice of cooked, continental or lighter breakfasts and cooked freshly to order. I would have liked to taken longer to relax but life with an inquisitive toddler is anything but relaxing!

I would definitely stay again although perhaps a little less rain next time would be preferable from Eastbourne as it was not an enjoyable place to be in torrential rain with 2 kids! Although they enjoyed ‘chips on the pier’ in the chip shop all the same!

Thanks so much to the staff. Clearly a lot of care and attention has gone into the room design and everything looked lovely. I loved having cotton wool in the rooms and bottled water for each of us and the little pots of jam at breakfast were so cute! I had been so surprised to see so many others at breakfast as we hadn’t seen or heard anyone else in the hotel. I can’t praise This great little place highly enough - it was perfect for our family and a very very short walk to the beach so when the sun finally shone on Sunday morning we had a nice plod about and threw some pebbles. Thanks again. If we’d seen anyone at check out I would have praised you to your faces but this glowing tripadvisor review is in place of that! Hopefully see you again.

Stayed: February 2018, travelled with family
Reviewed 19 December 2017 via mobile

Every year as a treat we as a family go to Panto and stay in a bnb/hotel. I rang a few days prior when I noticed the whole payment for one night had been taken from my account. I rang up for piece of mind and was met with a very dismissive response. The explanation was because of theft of cards used to book? Bizarre? I can condone a minor deposit for breakages or un-occupancy.

Upon arrival I was again met with a rude/dismissive response from the proprietor and payment was expected, even though my account had a payment pending of the same full amount. Lucky extra funds were available as I am certain this proprietor would have taken great joy in turning us away as we were made to feel hugely welcome (not). Even the kids mentioned the man was moody, no interaction with the kids at all.

I rang up booking.com for this to be explained to me in laymen’s terms as I have stayed in hundreds of hotels and have never had payment taken twice. I.e. on arrival and pre-authorised? I have never come across this before. So a week before christmas I am stressed ringing my bank trying to claw back the £80 to be told this could take up-to 30 days.

The hotel room was beautiful, kids absolutely loved the bunk beds, but the worry of no money in my account this close to christmas was really not anticipated, a yearly treat somewhat tarnished. Booking a hotel will never be the same again, feel cheated/naive.

Booking.com have been equally unhelpful.

Breakfast... toast brought out with no butter, turned up 5 mins later. No orange juice. Milk had to be topped up we were first for breakfast. The waitress very young and to keep things simple I asked for three adults and one kids. The portions came out the same size I might add, but the proprietor made a point of saying he would only give us two adults and two kid. Seemed so petty there was no difference ... where is the christmas sprit?

Shame as great location, beautiful room just lack of any client care. No wonder this hotel had loads of vacancies and all our usual bnbs were fully booked.

Panto was 5* and as per usual we will come back every year but will avoid this place like the plague.

Merry Christmas x

Stayed: December 2017, travelled with family
1  Thank Harvey1985
Ian M, Manager at The Berkeley Guest House, responded to this reviewResponded 20 December 2017

I’m sorry to read that you experience at the Berkeley was not up to your expectations.
I would like to address your points of view and give our side of the story.

We are pleased that you were happy with the room and you enjoyed the panto.

• One of the things I find hard to believe is that you have stayed in so many hotels but have never come across the pre-authorisation system.
I myself have travelled extensively have fallen fowl to banks and credit card companies who do place a voucher on your account at the time of booking, to hold the money until you turn up and this is then taken when you book in to the hotel.
The voucher is then returned to your account and can take up to 7 working days. If you do not cancel your room or are a no show then the accommodation provider can take the payment and not lose revenues. This is a standard practice.
I have found personally that some banking or credit card companies hang this process out up to 7 days.

This has nothing to do with the accommodation provider or the agent in, your case Booking.com.
The reason you didn’t get much joy from booking.com is because they were probably telling you the same scenario, but you thought you were being double charged, which is not the case.
I would recommend that look up ‘hotel pre authorisation policy’ on Google, you will see a number of hotels who use this system and the explanation of how it works who controls the funds and why accommodation providers feel it necessary to do this.

• We are sorry you also felt the reception was less than jolly, you had turned up early when we were in the middle of cleaning and other activates that most people don’t see, kitchen prep, laundry and food shopping. This is the reason that most if not all Guesthouses have check in times.

As you saw we are a family run business and at this time of year there may only be two of us due to low bookings. We don’t have the funds and backing of a multi nation business with a multitude of staff we can call on or have sitting around. We do not have a 24 hour reception, this means when you arrive 2 or 3 hours early we may not be prepared, I’m sure you must have been caught out by friends/guests who turn up early while you are trying to prepare yourself.
On the other hand it also means we close the doors at 7pm so we can have some down time too, as we are working 12 hour days 7days a week.

• The breakfast was ordered for 2 adults and 2 children this is correct, we also do a slightly smaller portions for children as we have found like most other restaurants and eateries children can’t eat the same size portions as adults. The reason there didn’t seem like much difference was due to you opting to not to have certain elements on your full English.
• We normally lay out the tables and place 4 to 6 butter portions first thing before guests come down, it give the butter time to soften so it spreads better.
• The waiting staff will replenish the juices and milk as it is consumed and yes she is a college student earning extra money at the weekends, so yes she is young. The milk and juices take all of a moment to be topped up. I will also see why so little was placed out in the first place.
• As you could also see that all the guesthouses in the area were showing vacancies, we are finding that a number of accommodation providers with in Eastbourne have decided to close early this year as trading has been quite difficult for all of us. May be your first choice were closed too.

There are many good reviews of our establishment and we have worked very hard over 5 years to build up the business. To us it is upsetting when this hard work is undermined by comments from customers who don’t abide by simple terms and conditions and when a legitimate explanation is given it is not received well and it all our fault.

So I hope you have had conformation from your bank/credit card company that you were not charged twice by us and I’m sure you won’t post an apology for accusing us of double charging you.

It is simply in no one’s interest to rip of any customers, if we were, yours would not be the only complaint of that nature and so far it is the only one.

We would still like to wish you and your family a merry Christmas and prosperous New Year.