Lowest prices for your stay
US$67
View deal
Hotels.com
Travelocity
Expedia.comUS$67
Booking.comUS$67
PricelineUS$67
All reviews pool table free movies bar area wet room town centre night's sleep car parking playstation prosecco toiletries waterfront
Selected filters
Reviewed 16 October 2021

We stayed there for a wedding and had an awful time.

No water, IT systems down due to a ‘cyber attack’, rot in the window sills, and they DO NOT cater to the wider man.

I’ll be trying to get a refund but unless they’ve sent in Johnny lee miller from hackers to fix their cyber attack issues I doubt I’ll get anywhere

Cheers

Peace

Date of stay: October 2021
Reviewed 3 October 2021

We have stayed here previously and didn’t have an issue. However on this occasion it seemed to be a different hotel.

My wife booked the standard room as we always do. This is our third stay, and we’ve never had any issues at all. Always enjoyed our stay before and the staff were always very professional and friendly as one would expect.

When we arrived we checked in, and a woman who told us her name was Adelina just randomly said whilst we had already filled in the form, that there wasn’t a double room available, so we’ve been put in a twin room. The website clearly says ‘1 large double bed’ on the standard room. So it wouldn’t be unreasonable to think you were getting a double bed.

We had no prior notification of this happening. It wouldn’t have been difficult for someone to look at what rooms were available and issue an email or text to the customers, stating it will be first come first serve for double rooms on check in, as they only now have a certain number left.

If people are coming from a long distance, it will be worse for them. It takes the choice away from the customer. We were told it was in terms and conditions, but wasn’t clear when booking as described.

We asked if anything could be done and Adelina just said “No sorry I can’t do anything” and said it was our fault and we should have known that.

My wife was upset and vented her frustration about the situation. We made the point that some one could have let us know so we could have made a decision without attending. A simple email would have sufficed. I explained that technology is available for this type of thing and other companies do this all the time, whether automated or with a staff member spending 15 minutes checking bookings and sending pro-forma emails to the relevant customers. It really isn’t hard.

However, instead of de-escalating the situation, it became inflamed and my wife was then approached by a girl who told us her name was Kayti. She acted like she owned the place and straight off the bat, was extremely rude to my wife.

She was also rude to her colleague and started speaking over her, whilst she was trying to resolve the situation and said words to the effect of “look we can’t do anything about it, you can either stay and pay, or leave, we won’t offer refunds”. It put us on the spot.

My wife explained that the customer service wasn’t up to standard and being rude to us wasn’t helping. Kayti walked away, and stood over by another part of the desk, and whilst my wife was talking to Adelina again, who was now actually listening and trying to help, Kayti kept rolling her eyes, tutting and smirking at my wife, who was, if she was actually listening, explaining why we were upset. Kayti was extremely unprofessional, rude and had no compassion or empathy at all. Not what you expect from a hospitality staff member. She certainly didn’t feel threatened or afraid, as she was very arrogant in her demeanour, and had no issue coming near us.

My wife explained we have disabled children at home, and this was our real first night away and time together in about 3 years. One night out. With no caring responsibilities to recharge and actually relax.

Adelina seemed to get it, and started to help. She explained that she’s sorry and she started looking on the computer and said that she thinks there is something she can do, and to bear with her a moment. She started to talk about moving someone else who hadn’t checked in yet. I started to think wow, great customer service, she gets it.

With this, as she was explaining this, Kayti came storming over again and cut Adelina off, and said if you’re doing what I think you’re doing then we can’t do that, there’s none left anyway. Adelina looked at Kayti like she knew she was lying, and seemed to be a bit shocked. I don’t know who was in charge, it was very odd. We asked to speak to a manager but they said he wasn’t in until the next morning. How can there be no management on duty on a Friday afternoon? Probably the busiest times of the week.

I don’t think Kayti wanted to help at all, and just didn’t like the fact she was being challenged. We weren’t aggressive or threatening in any way, just venting our frustration at the lack of care and help.

We had to get going as we needed to get to our destination, and we had no time or ability to stay anywhere else.

We asked for a discount of some kind or concession, or good will gesture, but Kayti cut her off and just simply said “we can’t do that”. there was no attempt at being compassionate, giving an explanation as to why, no attempt at resolving the situation, compromising, nothing.

This experience was so far completely different than our previous experiences at your hotel, and in fact it was like we were staying at a completely different place, due to the downright rude attitude and atmosphere.

We had to agree to stay, as we were between a rock and a hard place. We paid and We were given keys. Adelina was being really nice at this point and saying if we need anything please ask, did we want her to push the beds together etc.

My wife explained we weren’t happy because we expected a double bed and now were having to sleep like children in separate beds. Pushing beds together isn’t going to help due to the huge gap between the beds when they are pushed together, and is very uncomfortable. Adelina was being very patient and showing compassion now, but yet again, as we were explaining and voicing our frustration, which Adelina was actually listening to, Kayti cut her off again and just said “just don’t bother talking to them until they’ve calmed down”. That was extremely rude not only to us, but her colleague. Who exactly does she think she is to speak to people like that, and we didn’t have any indication of who she actually was. She was acting like a manager of some sort but made no attempt to convey this.

We went upstairs and put our stuff in the room. We went back downstairs and were given a card and told to contact the manager if we wanted to. We were also told by Kayti that she had spoken to someone and told them what happened, and they had told her that we can either stay, but we have to pay full price with no discount, or we can leave right now and get a refund. We had to continue to stay as we had now put all of our things in the room. I was completely drained and didn’t want to carry on an argument that Kayti clearly took great pleasure in continuing, and the smirk on her face was extremely unprofessional and unpleasant.

Mocking a customer for simply expressing their views and explaining why they’re upset, especially when it comes to speaking about their children and their disabilities, is quite frankly disgusting, and she needs retraining on her people skills, and how to de-escalate and how to be customer focussed. Myself and my wife have both worked in the hospitality industry, and would have been sacked if we acted the way she did.

I asked her if pentahotel was a standalone hotel or part of a chain. She didn’t even know what that meant. I’m worried that someone doesn’t know
What a simple phrase is working in a place like that. Clearly intelligence isn’t one of the hotel’s hiring criteria. Or experience in people. Or compassion or sympathy. Etc. she really let you down.

There is always room for compromise and goodwill gestures, regardless of terms and conditions. Everyone knows this. This is how you keep customers coming back.

I reiterated the point regarding the simple email alert about lack of double rooms and the attitude was ‘we haven’t got time and we are short staffed’. I said that’s not our fault as the
Customer. I then said to my wife let’s go, and we can get something to eat later, to which we were met with “OH sorry the restaurant isn’t open today”. I couldn’t believe it.

My wife said couldn’t we have been told before we arrived also that we couldn’t even eat at the hotel? The response was ‘we have no staff’. They knew that. But didn’t tell us at the time of booking. It clearly says on the website you have a restaurant and so on, it says nothing about it being closed. It’s bordering on deceit and false advertising, saying you’ve got services available and then they aren’t when the customer is there.

At no point during this whole situation were we offered anything at all to try and show customer focus. Most places would offer a refund, a discount, a complimentary meal, drink, a discounted or free stay next time. The list goes on as to what COULD be offered as goodwill.

We went out for a walk and came back, We went to our room hoping to sit down and relax for the night and even though we weren’t happy with the bed situation, we had no choice but to stay.

I thought that would be the end of this terrible experience but it wasn’t. I wish it had have been.

We turned the TV on, which we expected to work, reasonably as anyone would. It didn’t. The signal was terrible. The picture was jumping and crackling. It had a wifi symbol in the top right corner and it only had one bar. Every channel was the same.

We had one bottle of water in the room for a twin/double room. It’s very hot weather at the moment. You’d expect at least a bottle each for two guests!

My wife then tried to plug her phone into the socket beside the bed to charge it. The socket was loose and you couldn’t fix the plug in place. It literally slid right in and out. No it wasn’t the only socket in the room, but it takes great pleasure in advertising ‘socket by the bed’!

But that isn’t the point! All services and appliances provided should work. I went down to complain but there was no one around. I went back up. We used the gym for a bit. Wasn’t great. Limited equipment. Very small.

We ended up having to order food in via a food app. I went down to get it, Adelina was still there and asked if we were ok, and if I’d spoken to the manager yet. I said no and I would contact them the next morning. I went back upstairs and we are our food, we then went to sleep.

It gets worse. Around 3.30am I was woken up by some VERY loud shouting, talking, laughing, singing outside our window. I thought the window was open. I went to shut it and it wasn’t open. It was just that loud. I could see 3-4 young lads outside the doors to the hotel smoking. They had clearly been drinking heavily by their demeanour. I tried to let it go. I was then subjected to another hour of them going in and out, in and out. They were extremely disruptive and had no consideration for anyone else staying at the hotel. It was 4am!

I went downstairs around 4.30am to ask the staff to tell them to stop. I have no
Idea why they were allowed to be doing that at that time of the morning.

There wasn’t anyone around. I waited at the reception for a couple of minutes. No one came. The lads were still outside smoking and being very loud. There was a large group of young people around the corner by a pool table, also being very loud. There were pizza boxes everywhere on the reception. It looked a state.

I turned to go back upstairs and someone shouted at me from behind. I turned and a man in a white hoodie asked if I was ok. I said not really. He said he saw me waiting at the bar and wondered if I wanted something.

I explained that the lads are being very loud, disruptive and it’s not on. His response was that ‘we’ (I couldn’t see any staff) have already warned them several times.

I said they’re causing serious disruption to the experience and people at the hotel, and can’t he kick them out. He said no.

The next morning we left and were shocked to see we had to pay £8 for the car park! Luckily they ‘let us off’ due to the noise.

Despite the good reviews on here, there is a pattern of rude and uncaring staff, lack of professionalism and if there’s a problem they close ranks, lie and management just believe them. In the process of trying to complain and resolve it, but hopefully this review is helpful for some to make an informed decision. Read the reviews before booking!

2  Thank Concernedcitizen1201
Reviewed 30 September 2021 via mobile

Lovely hotel, friendly staff , lovely room. Positives over. Car park barrier not working phones, in room not working. Fryer in kitchen not working.only 2 draft lagers. Imited choice of wine. TV in room took ages to load and gave up trying

2  Thank 918debbiek
Serhan ilker, General Manager at Pentahotel Ipswich, responded to this reviewResponded 1 October 2021

Many thanks for taking the time to comment. We appreciate all feedback and be assured that we are looking into the matter
Kind regards
The Management

Reviewed 30 September 2021

We stayed here on 12th sept and raised a complaint to the info email address on 13th. Still have heard nothing!

We asked for more pillows as the one each we had in our room were flat as pancakes. Im 7 months pregnant and didn’t expect the response to be ‘we just gave the last two out’.

What kind of hotel gives one pillow per person?
What kind of hotel doesn’t have enough spare pillows?

I had a terrible nights sleep because of this. Really unimpressed.
When I mentioned it when we checked out, he said you only have 50 spare pillows.

Firstly, that number is incredibly low and very poor. Secondly, if they’ve all been requested, doesn’t that speak volumes about the quality of the pillows?!

Overall really unhappy. You expect to be able to sleep well at a hotel. I did not.

More frustrated that the issue hasn’t even been addressed!

2  Thank Lea1983
Reviewed 29 September 2021

Not sure about negativity over this place. Parked outside, pay on departure as machine not working. Efficient check in and comfortable room with all you'd expect. Good night's sleep (unusual for me one night) and great breakfast. All good

Trip type: Travelled solo