“It is back”

Cuisines: British
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 12 October 2017 via mobile

After a few years in the doldrums, the new owners have brought this pub back to how it used to be 10 years ago before the then long standing landlord retired. Good beer and good food.

Reviewed 1 October 2017

Despite being local I have never been to the Nelson before. The outside is an impressive reminder of much older times. It sits on a busy stretch of road, but there is handy parking close by for people who are not on foot.
I was going alone to meet someone inside. As soon as I walked in I was greeted by friendly bar staff. It was busier than I expected for a late Saturday lunchtime. Not full, so I managed to find a table, but enough groups of people sitting around to give it a nice comfortable atmosphere.
The inside seems to be a good reflection of the original look, with beams and two fireplaces. The fires were not lit, it was quite a warm day, but groups were still sitting around them chatting. I imagine it is very cosy on cold days.
I wasn't drinking so I can't comment on the real ale that was being served from the cask, but they seemed to be very popular with many of the crowd.
The food was lovely. I had local sausage and mash, proper sausage! It arrived pretty quickly and was hot. My friend had the vegetable lasagna, which she said was excellent.
It was overall a very pleasant experience. The staff was very friendly and other customers were interacting with each other. Had the real feel of a traditional pub. Will definitely visit again.

Reviewed 21 September 2017

This has a good atmosphere and a nice clientele, brilliant for a chat with the locals. they serve beer straight from the barrel which enhance the character of the pub.
We enjoyed our meal but the menu is not that great,typical bar meals with an assortment of specials which we went for. not bad but could do better.

BigEatsBigDrink, Owner at Lord Nelson, responded to this reviewResponded 26 September 2017

Hi Malcolm,

Many thanks for your positive review. It's a great to know you enjoyed the setting, atmosphere and our locals. I am sorry you feel our menu and food is lacking a little, this is something we are working on both growing and improving following our recent aquistion of the pub. We hope on your next return we exceed expectations.

Tom

Reviewed 13 September 2017

Lovely traditional pub. Nice surroundings and staff very pleasant. Didn't unfortunately have my 1st choice on menu so I had the battered cod and chips and it was delicious! Would definitely recommend a visit for food or drink or both!

Reviewed 24 August 2017

The Lord Nelson is a good quality pub with lots of character and history. It's a pub I've enjoyed for many years, except for a small time where poor land lords took over!!! Under current land lord this Adnams pub is now becoming again the good quality pub it once was. Nice atmosphere, no music played which promotes and enable chat, nice adnams beer with good selection of other drinks available. Nice outside garden. Bar staff nice. so this is a pub I'm pleased to recommend......