Lowest prices for your stay
Lock in the lowest price from these sites
Expedia.comUS$64
Hotels.comUS$64
TravelocityUS$64
PricelineUS$64
FindHotelUS$66
Lol.travelUS$79
All reviews sausage beans car park town centre train station limited parking evening food breakfast was included hot food sofa bed few minutes walk tea and coffee yogurt one night stay buffet style good nights sleep cooked breakfast
Selected filters
Reviewed 30 November 2019

Customer attention is so vitally important yet I sometimes feel that this isn't always remembered. We arrived to find 3 staff on reception, all appearing to be busy. Check-in was a tad 'messy' as one of them had to run to the room to check the presence of the sofa bed. Yes, it's there - all good! We entered the room to find no bedding. No problem, we're out from 4pm till 11pm so plenty of time for it to be delivered to the room and the bed made-up. Back at midnight and after a quick night cap in the bar (no snack now with the amenity drink!) to find no bedding! Resolved quickly but basics like this should never be over-looked.

1  Thank Kesbol
IHGService, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Stevenage, an IHG Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 30 December 2019

Hello Kesbol,

Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback about your stay at our hotel.

We offer everything guests need and provide more where it matters most and it seems that there are lapses that made an impact on your recent stay. I'm sorry to hear the level of service given in attending to your needs and comfort. This isn't common to our norms and we'll discussed this accordingly with the team. I shared your review with our hotel management. Rest assured that adequate coaching and corrective measures will be fulfilled to ensure that this will not happen again.

We value the trust you've given to our brands. I hope you'll come to visit us again and we'll make your next stay as seamless possible it can be.

All the best,

Jomar M.
Case Manager
IHGService

Reviewed 12 November 2019 via mobile

Stayed for one night. Very good quality on staff members who welcome you with a smile and make sure you feel appreciated. The hotel has 24/7 pizza option when all else is closed. Pizza was a bit undercooked though (perhaps a bit more than just 5 minutes in oven would help for the pizza in the middle). Room was clean and fresh and you get two pillows (hard and soft) so you can choose your own style. Breakfast was ok, missed the ham or meat/filet you could have on the roasted bread. Beside that the hotel is recommended from my side and I would sleep here again.

Trip type: Travelled solo
1  Thank Geir_Arild_Byberg
Reviewed 10 November 2019

I just wanted to say the HI-Expres in the UK does an excellent job. The hotels are all well equipped, clean and priced right. The staff is always professional and the locations are always prime.

The HI-express in Stevenage was arguably the best one I have stayed at.
The welcome from Samantha on a cold and rainy afternoon was particularly nice. The level of cleanliness was extraordinary. There was literally not one speck on mildew anywhere in the bathroom, I looked!

I have been switching between IHG and Accor based on price and location, but based on recent stays, IHG is winning (by knockout).

• Trip type: Travelled on business
3  Thank Elliott S
Reviewed 5 November 2019

A recent trip down south saw us stay a couple of nights at the Holiday Inn Express in Stevenage.

On arrival we had to park opposite in the Matalan car park as the hotel itself doesn't have it's own car park (except for blue badge holders) but they have some sort of deal going on, so at least you can park nearby.

Check in was a breeze, but when we got to our rooms we were very disappointed with the quality. The rooms are tiny, if I didn't know better I'd say they took a normal size room and then built a wall down the middle to create extra rooms.

The room was also quite grubby, the claimed "king-sized" bed was nothing of the sort, it was closer to a small twin if anything, and the sofa bed was truly abysmal - saggy and with springs you could feel by merely lying down on top of the duvet fully clothed.

The bathroom was similarly "cozy" with a shower so weak you could probably spit more after several days lost in a desert without water.

Housekeeping was also very shy in replenishing any used coffee sachets or teabags when doing their rounds.

Other than that, the rooms were functional at best.

Breakfast wise, you're probably best off going out. Bacon was found to be a mix of burnt to so undercooked that a skilled pig farmer could bring it back to life. The sausages, however, were fine, but the scrambled "eggs", oh man, just what the? I mean? Maaaaaaan. I don't know what manner of poultry they came from, but they're clearly new to science. With hindsight, they were probably of the powdered variety that needed rehydrating.

Also, on the second morning, I found black bits of "something" floating in the apple and orange juice after taking a swig...

Was there anything good about the hotel? Well, it was relatively cheap (which now we know why) and it's well located. It's a stones throw from things like Tesco and Asda, and an entertainment district with things like KFC, McDonald's, ASK, Hollywood Bowl, and Nandos, amongst others.

The hotel is also near the train station and bus terminals.

Before we left, the old lady in reception, as we were checking out attempting to charge us more than our printed invoice said. When challenged she would simply repeat that we had to pay what her sheet said, but couldn't or refused to answer where the additional cost came from. In the end she relented and let us pay what we owed and not the unexpectedly inflated price.

With that, we left...

The hotel had far too many negatives for us to recommend. Yes, it was extremely underwhelming but functional on the most basic level, breakfast wasn't great, staff were good overall, and you're close to local amenities and transport.

A case of convenience over comfort...

Date of stay: November 2019
IHGService, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Stevenage, an IHG Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 20 November 2019

Hello ReviewChimp,

Thank you for leaving us your review and for making us a part your visit here in the Stevenage. We are grateful that you've chosen the Holiday Inn Express to host you.

We stay true to our purpose of being the best on the brilliant basics, ReviewChimp, but I'm sorry to let you down this time. I read that you'd be hesitant to give us another try because of what you thought of our rooms and the breakfast options. I understand that the preparations and options served didn't please your appetite. I also regard your thoughts about the room atmosphere and lapses in upkeep. Amidst these, it made me smile that you were able to check-in quickly and our location ideal to where you needed to be.

Don't worry, I took the necessary steps to ensure our management gets to read your post and be talked upon to all concerned staff. We may not have been our best on this trip but I'm positive to end this with a 5-stars on your next stay. Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your stay with us.

All the best,

Frank A.
Case Manager
IHGService

Reviewed 3 November 2019 via mobile

Booked here having seen photos on the IHG website of a refurbished new style Holiday Inn Express. On arrival I was thanked for my loyalty as an IHG Platinum customer and then handed keys to a tired, dated and grubby room on the 4th floor which looked absolutely nothing like the hotel’s publicity photos. The room had chipped furniture, a stale fatty smell and had curtains hanging off the rail. Staff at the front desk advised me only a proportion of the rooms have been updated and blamed IHG for using stock photos and showing only their best rooms! So much for being a valued guest - they promise you one thing, take your booking and then give you a grotty room for the night. Had it not been late, pouring with rain and every other (decent) hotel in the area already sold out, I would definitely not have stayed. ‘If needs must’ as the saying goes - but I won’t be returning and I couldn’t possibly recommend it. A dump.

Date of stay: November 2019
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
3  Thank johnnyboyyork
Joanna O, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Express Stevenage, an IHG Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 3 November 2019

Dear Johnnyboyyork,

Thank you for taking the time to write us a review of your recent stay with us. I am sorry to hear that we did not meet your expectations with regards to your stay on our hotel. Rest Assured, we will forward your feedback to our management team. Again, Thank you so much for your review and we hope you give us a chance to serve you again in the future.

Kind Regards,