US$109
  • Pool
1,110 results
All reviewsharbour view restaurantexcellent locationharbour frontfirst floorbrownsea islandcar parkingground floorpubs and restaurantsbit dateda sea view roomstayed for one nightwedding receptionafternoon teahigh streetplenty of parkingcomfortable roomtown centre
Reviewed 28 June 2018

We travel down to Poole on a regular basis and normally stay at the Premier Inn at Holes Bay, but as we had been through a torrid time of late thought we would go "up market" and spoil ourselves at the Thistle Hotel on the quay.
What a mistake to make.

This Hotel was a lot more expensive but I failed to see why, the rooms were tired and dated and in need of a good makeover, it was lucky there was a shower over the bath as you wouldn't want to lie in the bath.
And you even have to pay £6 per night for parking which I find a bit of an insult.
We decided not to have the breakfast because we are not big breakfast eaters but on the first night we did call back to the bar for a drink and like the rooms needs a wash and brush up.
The situation was not helped by Poole council who close the quay off to traffic on Tuesday evenings 5:pm-9:pm for a weekly motorcycle rally, and to our shock there were hundreds of thew.
Mostly 50/60 year old juveniles who think it's for everyone else to just sit on there bikes revving the noisy engines bless em, couldn't have had rattles as babies.
There are some nice cafe's and restaurants along the quay but you couldn't hear yourself think, and the smell of petrol fumes was awful, so we had to walk into town to find somewhere quiet to eat. Would never go to Poole on a Tuesday again.

The next time we go we will head back to the Premier inn, you can always rely on it being clean and comfortable and a pleasure to stay.

It's a shame because the Thistle is in a prime position looking over the harbour but sadly it falls well short and certainly not good value for money.

Room Tip: Go somewhere else.
  • Stayed: June 2018, travelled as a couple
Jonathan B, General Manager at Thistle Poole, responded to this reviewResponded 29 June 2018

Dear Guest,
Many thanks for taking the time to complete a review of our hotel following your recent visit. I’m very sorry to note that you experienced some issues with the condition of your room. Please be rest assured that I have shared this feedback with my Maintenance and Housekeeping teams so that they can take the necessary actions to make improvements. I’m sorry to note that you were not happy with being charged for the car park, please be advised that the car park is operated by a third party and the hotel heavily subsidises the costs for our guests. I do hope that this alleviates some of your concerns. I have also taken on board your comments regarding the events held on the quay, it's a shame that this hindered your stay and this reflected badly upon us despite being out of our control. Please accept my sincerest apologies if this hindered your stay. I hope to welcome you back again in the near future.

Reviewed 28 June 2018

Let me start this review by saying that all of the staff I came into contact with were helpful, polite and attentive. The food in the restaurant was of a high standard and the service was excellent. The position of the hotel could not be better, right on the quay side. The downside of this hotel is that it is in need of refurbishment, my room was a nice size, clean but shabby the air conditioning didn't work and the shower head was in need of descaling. The public areas and restaurant were presentable but dated. This hotel has a 3 star rating if updated it would be a 4 star.

• Stayed: June 2018, travelled on business
1  Thank Keith B

Dear Guest,
Many thanks for taking the time to complete a review of our hotel following your recent visit. I’m very pleased to note that you enjoyed your stay and in particular found our location ideal for your needs and our staff friendly and helpful. I have shared this feedback with the entire team to ensure that they remain motivated to provide this high level of service. I’m very sorry to note that you experienced some issues with the condition of your room. Please be rest assured that I have shared this feedback with my Maintenance and Housekeeping teams so that they can take the necessary actions to make improvements. I look forward to welcoming you back again in the near future. For our best rates, including free breakfast, please visit our website.

Reviewed 28 June 2018

Excellent hotel location,staff excellent and friendly it is in a superb location would stay again and recommend to friends. Situated right next to the quay,large car park which you pay a reduced rate to park in. Good value for money.

• Stayed: June 2018, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
Jonathan B, General Manager at Thistle Poole, responded to this reviewResponded 28 June 2018

Dear Guest,
Many thanks for taking the time to complete a review of our hotel following your recent visit. I’m very pleased to note that you enjoyed your stay and in particular found our location ideal for your needs and our staff friendly and helpful. I have shared this feedback with the entire team to ensure that they remain motivated to provide this high level of service. I look forward to welcoming you back again in the near future. For our best rates, including free breakfast, please visit our website.

A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 27 June 2018

stayed a few times now great place to stay to catch early ferry to the channel islands
room was clean and tidy with good wifi in the rooms animal friendly stayed before with our two little dogs with no problems

Stayed: June 2018, travelled as a couple

Dear Guest,

Many thanks for taking the time to review our hotel. I'm very pleased that you enjoyed a great stay. I look forward to welcoming you and your two little dogs back again in the near future. For our best rates, including free breakfast, please visit our website.

Reviewed 27 June 2018

Good size clean comfortable room with tea, coffee and biscuits. . Excellent self service big breakfast overlooking the harbour. Staff were very friendly and helpful. We would stay at this hotel again.

Stayed: June 2018, travelled as a couple