All reviews homemade shortbread pillow menu the main house hair spray amazing hosts landscaped gardens wax lyrical nail polish remover locally sourced ingredients roaring fire duck breast first class walk in wardrobe thoughtful touches little touches wine list croft hotel
Reviewed 7 April 2016

The rooms are very good - high standard all around and everything works perfectly
Quiet location with short walks along the river on the doorstep
Excellent friendly owners who look after you without been too on top of you
Food is very good - not Michelin starred, but the next rung down - worth going out of your way to sample
Cannot find fault

• Stayed: March 2016, travelled on business
3  Thank sclanmac
Reviewed 27 March 2016

Came upon this lovely little place by accident, walking our dogs. We followed the sign to the reception to have a harridan shout loudly to us from a guest room, "excuse me, this is private property, this is not a public footpath, you have no right etc etc". I tried to explain and asked if it was a b&b. Our intention was to enquire about booking a room for my mother in law in November. The gentleman of the house came out and told him we were trying to make an enquiry but had been met with extreme rudeness. He said he was sorry but despite my obvious distress at our treatment turned to walk away. This all happened in front of a family in the gardens. I left in tears feeling extremely upset and humiliated. I am a professional with an honours degree, my partner a robot technician. I was made to feel like an untouchable. Customer service and civility should extend to everyone, we may have been wearing dog walking clothes but that gives no one the right to make (incorrect) judgements.

• Stayed: March 2016, travelled as a couple
16  Thank Beverley B
Reviewed 24 February 2016

A great welcome, spotlessly clean, very comfortable bed/room, lovely choice of locally sourced food both in the evening and breakfast. I have stayed here many times over 10+ years and wouldn't consider staying anywhere else in this area.
Every eventuality is catered for - yes you expect an iron, toiletries, maybe even an umbrella but Heather and David go beyond that with spare toothbrush, shaving kit, shoe polish, hair spray, nail varnish remover........nothing is ever too much trouble. Already looking forward to have a reason to go back.

Room Tip: This time we stayed in Lily but they are all equally fantastic.
  • Stayed: February 2016, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Jo C
Reviewed 19 February 2016 via mobile

A little gem of accommodation, hospitality and food in beautiful surroundings. We were greeted on arrival and taken into the lounge and offered tea and homemade biscuits. Beautiful main house with a warm and welcoming feeling. The owners Heather and David couldn't do enough to make you feel welcome.
The rooms are all bespoke and we were in the double room 'Bluebell' which was large, clean and nicely furnished. In the room were more homemade biscuits, chocolates on the bed and a nice selection of toffees by the TV.
There was a choice of pillows, with feather on the bed, you wanted for nothing (hairspray and nail varnish remover were in the dressing room). I had a lovely bath and a clean wrapped bath pillow was found in the cabinet. The tea and coffee selection was good, with fresh coffee and a cafetière available (and bottle opener). The hairdryer was a delight because it was a real one rather than the generic version you find in chains of hotels, I could even take my finger off the button.

Food in the restaurant was delicious with a good menu to cater for most tastes. The restaurant was beautiful, well decorated and we even saw a badger mooching around outside! We had pate, celeriac soup and rack of lamb, I was too full for dessert but Mr L managed the sticky toffee pudding which apparently was a 10!

Breakfast was equally good, juice on the tables with an alternative choice at the bar, a selection of cereals, yogurts and fruit. We both had the full English which we couldn't fault.

Gluten Free Review:
As a coeliac I am used to missing out on many parts of the menu with few alternatives offered however, what a treat I had! Upon arrival we were asked who was gluten free and from that moment on I didn't have to ask or remind them. I was given delicious gluten free biscuits when I arrived on a separate plate to avoid cross contamination. When we arrived in the evening for dinner I was reassured by Heather that they cook to order and they could work around anything on the menu and for me not to worry. Dinner and breakfast were excellent, I didn't feel like I was being a nuisance and best of all I had no ill effects from anything I had eaten.

Stayed: February 2016, travelled as a couple
1  Thank 721CarolineL
Reviewed 3 February 2016

Visited on Saturday 30/1/16 - fab place. Straight away we were made to feel at home by Heather and she is absolutely brilliant. We stayed in 'Lily' - lovely room. We had a family party of over 20 for two birthdays and had a meal in the evening cooked by David - first class as was the full breakfast next day. Superb!

• Stayed: January 2016, travelled with family