“Needs refurbishing”

Add it.
Brecon Hotel Rotherham Sheffield
Ranked #15 of 15 Hotels in Rotherham
Reviewed 9 April 2017

My friend and I paid £75 for one night's stay at what appeared to be an old people's home. We stayed in the annexe beind the main hotel and when we walked into the foyer it was like stepping back in time. The decor appears to be from the 70s. Our room was just the same with old fashioned dark wood furniture and a red leatherette headboard. I must say that the room was clean, the sheets were lovely and white and the towels soft and fluffy. There were tea and coffee facilities and a TV. The bathroom was adequate and clean.
The weather had been very hot that day, however, the heating was on full and it was like a sauna. Although we switched it off it was still baking in there. You could only open the small top window but, as we were on the ground floor facing the car park, we had to draw the curtains, so not much breeze could get in.
There were notices up stating the hotel was undergoing extensive refurbishment and apologised for any inconvenience, however, we did not see any building work going on.
We had travelled to go to an event at Sheffield Arena, which is about 3 miles away from the hotel. When we arrived we asked the young girl on reception what was the best way to get there. Could we catch a bus or a train and where was the bus stop or station. She didn't have a clue and could not give us any advice. She couldn't even direct us to the station, which we later found was about a mile away. I cannot believe that we are the only people to have asked this question. The hotel is very convenient for the Arena and only just over 2 miles from the Meadowhall shopping centre, the biggest and most famous one for miles! If this girl wants to be in a customer focused job she needs to brush up on local information.
As we were only there for one night I cannot comment on what the main hotel was like or what facilities it had.
I would use this hotel again but only as a last resort. It was not the worst I have ever stayed in but was not value for money.

Room Tip: People smoking etc walk past your windows on annexe ground floor room that overlook the car park.
  • Stayed: April 2017, travelled with friends
1  Thank janine_e_morgan

Reviewed 20 March 2017 via mobile

Very good clean hotel with excellent service from the staff.
A lot better than restover lodge hotel and lot cleaner and has excellent food.
Beds comfortable and warm
Brilliant service and will stay again

Stayed: March 2017, travelled on business
Reviewed 18 March 2017 via mobile

Stayed here on Wednesday due to working in the area. It's not really a hotel, just a bed for the night, hostel like. I did realise I hadn't booked breakfast but thought I would be able to pay at the hotel. No food or breakfast available, told by reception Tesco across the road & Weatherspoons down the road. I had already researched restaurants locally for tea.

Good points
Clean white towels & bedding
Hot shower
Tea & coffee provided in room
Basic toiletries provided
Decent tv
Comfy double bed

Bad points
Wifi poor
Room was in a building round the back of main reception which is down an unlit path. I felt scared walking down it when I came back from having tea. Other people perhaps not affected by this if in a car as car park round the back.
The lady on reception said everyone staying in this building due to revocations.
Told to put keys in the box when leaving in the morning because no one around until 10am. I did wonder what would happen if any type of emergency.
I booked this place due to close proximity to town which is great & only a short walk to the centre.
I thought the room was expensive in comparison with another Rotherham hotel which had breakfast included & a restaurant plus 24/7 manned reception but a little more out of town for £10 cheaper.

Stayed: March 2017, travelled on business
Reviewed 5 March 2017

mouldy rotten wood work around radiator pipes , poor decor , doesnt look like had been cleaned ( but thank fully clean sheets on the bed ) low water pressure on the mixer tap on the bath ( having a shower was a joke ) stayed 1 night £50 no meals included . will not be staying here again thats for sure . better look elswhere

• Stayed: March 2017, travelled solo
Reviewed 12 November 2016

The hotel is based at the back in an annexe building....i knew it was room only perfect coz i didn't need breakfast or anything like that
I needed wifi which was fine in the room only thing is the wifi password on the head rest was incorrect so i had to call reception to confirm the password

Other then that i was met by a pleasant lady who welcomed me nicely and checked me in quick
no quibbles

i would say this place is cheap accommodation if you are looking for luxury this is not your hotel - on a budget close to the m1 and sheffield this is your place

my tip would be to update the place it does look like you have gone a bit back in time when you enter the rooms
en-suite was nice and modern though

Room Tip: try to book at the top
  • Stayed: November 2016, travelled on business