“Overpriced but reliable”
Review of The Place to Eat

The Place to Eat
Reviewed 7 December 2019

The John Lewis restaurant is all right but doesn't reach great heights. The layout of the serveries always confuses me (where does one go?); coffee and cakes are reliable but the sandwiches and lunches are simply overpriced.

1  Thank ClassicalBoy
Write a reviewReviews (68)

Reviewed 2 December 2019 via mobile

Had a lovely visit today. Cafe was clearly busy but every single staff member was cheerful and efficient. In particular a lady called Val, who was wonderful and personable. She couldn’t have been more helpful and it was heartwarming to see her continuing this to the customers behind us too, offering a small mug so that a father could share his soup. Certainly filled us full of Christmas spirit! John Lewis know how to train their staff, we’ve never had a bad visit to be honest! Butternut soup was delicious and the vegan options have tripled since last year. I was torn!

1  Thank Francesca F
Reviewed 2 December 2019 via mobile

Since John Lewis made all their chefs redundant, their standards have gone down and down. The menus are very in different. Over priced and cheap quality. Soup and rolls are expensive and indifferent quality. Waitrose do some very good fresh soups such as Thai green chicken curry or hearty Italian inspired bean soup but these are never on the menu. The chicken vegetable soup they serve up is disgusting. Cakes are expensive and and not very good. Had a Sunday roast beef lunch at £12.95. Over priced small portions and very poor quality heated up processed food. The MD of John Lewis may be saving partners money but standards are going down and not making it a pleasant place to eat and drink.

Reviewed 24 November 2019 via mobile

This place looks like a throw back from the 1980's restaurants with bad customer service to go with it. Tea stains on tables,mud on the floor,staff chatting while customers waiting,bad customer care,it smells. Come on John Lewis this place needs updating and the staff either needs to go on customer care course or need new ones! Just Awlful.

Date of visit: November 2019
1  Thank 868sallye
Reviewed 21 August 2019 via mobile

So I went, last week for a coffee and a cake with my mother and I was very surprised by how unpleasant a sales assistant named Ester was.

It started from the moment I came in, her audacious manor that was conceived as intimidating and abrupt to many fellow customers. She asked what drink I would want and that I need to hurry up with my decision as her break started soon? I was confused and so surprised that I would have been met with such rudeness from someone that is getting paid to serve the public!

So I chose my drink and moved on, however she did the same to my mother whom was behind me in the queue. After hearing the fact that she is running late in a negative manor, to my mother, I wanted a manager to report this. However I couldn’t find anyone on site! So I asked a partner called Micheal to tell a manger, whom was a polite young boy.

I trust Micheal has, but I just wanted to reiterate how rude this lady truly was and I really really really do not want any customers experiencing this level of disgusting customer service.

John Lewis should be ashamed of employing someone with such manor and I really hope she gets sacked or some type of discipline for this. John Lewis has been totally let down and I NEVER want to have to deal with this lady again.

Kind regards