All reviews kim peter bowd inn four poster bed private garden cooking lesson bedding and towels high standard excellent hosts nothing is too much trouble a fantastic place to stay wet room underfloor heating excellent breakfast evening meal first class feel very welcome b and b
Reviewed 16 August 2017

Kim & Peter were again good hosts. Good food, good humour & good service. Nothing was too much trouble, all we had to do was ask, but there was nothing to ask for, it was all there. (Well, a tea spoon was missing one morning, disgusting! (joke).
The location is ideal for touring the south coast, whether by car or by bus.
I cannot believe people could rate this place below '4'. And 2 or less, well, these people must have a malicious motive or a serious personality problem.
Also, if you get the opportunity for evening meal, take it. You will be hard pushed to find anywhere better.
No, we are not related to the proprietors, just satisfied customers.

Room Tip: Upstairs under the thatched roof id quaint, rooms 9 & 10 have 4-poster beds & private garden area. All the beds are top quality.
  • Stayed: August 2017, travelled as a couple
CurleyBubbles, Owner at The Barn and Pinn Cottage, responded to this reviewResponded 7 September 2017

Hi Phil & Gill, lovely as always to see you both again, it really must feel like home from home for you now. We do love to see our regulars and look forward to each and every visit from them. I am happily harvesting my lovely blackberries from my special plant thanks Phil, and Peter has starting a fresh batch of his blackberry gin! I may even make a crumble or two? Thank you for your continued appreciation of the work we loving do for all our guests to try and make each and everyone feel special and have a wonderful stay whether for only 1 night or a week or twos stay. No we are not related, but will be seeing your brother and his wife very soon, thanks for recommending us to them, they are great.
Take care, love Kim and Peter xx

Reviewed 9 August 2017 via mobile

My girlfriend and I recently visited the Barn and Pinn Cottage for a relaxing break with our new puppy. We were delighted when we pulled up to the beautiful thatched cottage and were greeted by Kim and a large umbrella (as it was raining heavily in the normal British fashion). Once she had showed us to our room under the shelter of her brolly, Peter carried our bags through and offered our pup a sausage (he was VERY grateful!!)

We stayed in room 7 which was very convenient for our pup, with a little kitchen and living room! Breakfast was brilliant each day and Kim and Peter couldn't do enough to help!

We thoroughly enjoyed our stay and will definitely be returning for one of Peter's breakfasts! Thank you for your hospitality Kim and Peter, it felt like home from home

Stayed: July 2017, travelled as a couple
2  Thank kieran l

Thank you so much for your great review. It was lovely to meet you all your new pup is a real sweetie :) and such a good boy. Room 7 was definitely the best choice for you with your young pup as you had the extra space and lounge area to relax with him and your girlfriend of course. We have such lovely walks right from the front door and a dog friendly pub at the end of the driveway. We look forward to your next visit and to see how much your dog has grown. He has lovely long legs that he needs to grow into a little :)
Take care, kind regards Kim and Peter x

Reviewed 6 August 2017 via mobile

Stayed for three nights and was made to feel like one of the family. Nothing too much trouble from the moment we parked up to the time we left.

Breakfast was excellent, be sure to also stay for the evening meal (which is great so don't have a heavy lunch!).

Such a lovely time, we'll be back for sure.

Stayed: July 2017, travelled as a couple

Thank you so much for your lovely review, we are so glad you enjoyed your stay with us and also our evening meal. Peter is the chef so does the starters and mains but I get to make the puddings! so yes no heavy lunch or cream tea in the afternoon if you have booked to eat dinner with us! Its so tasty you won't want to leave any :) We look forward to your next visit. Kind regards Kim and Peter

Reviewed 5 August 2017

Well where do I start?? Unfortunately, as my friend and I were double booked at Buckley Farmhouse we were given your contact number and immediately thought it looked amazing, and it is. We had a nice greeting but everything was to be done quickly, cases out and taken to our room and when we wanted to bring our bottles of water we were told we didn’t need them as it was supplied in the room. A two day stay with a 50ml of one bottle of water for 2 people in my opinion is ridiculous. We were shown downstairs and then handed 2 sets of keys by Kim, although we did think it a bit strange as one only had a room key on and as you need a key for the front door it seemed unnecessary.

After unpacking we settled to read the “Welcome pack”, which I think should be called “Rules & Regulations”. I have never read so much negativity and felt this is not about being a relaxing break but more of you will do as we say; it is not dog friendly for dog owners in my opinion so beware! The most offensive comment was from Peter saying that we have CCTV and can see you if you are hooligans and it could end up on youtube (he may have been laughing about it, but we did not think this funny one bit and extremely intrusive so we felt we were being watched all the time) and to be told the next day in front of other guests in the breakfast room that they saw us “staggering” up the path was downright rude and I was furious at this and something that could be taken further, so take note.

Don’t get me started on the smoking either, the first thing on the “Welcome pack” before you even get to read anything was about smoking and that you could stand in the middle of the car park where there is a metal bin to put your cigarette out…O by the way, the umbrella which was supposed to be outside the door if it was raining was not to be seen. Turn over the page and lo and behold, in bold red about the smoking again!!

Now the breakfast, can I suggest Kim and Peter, when guests are still eating or literally just finished before everything is taken off your table is that guests DO NOT need is to be asked what they want for breakfast the next day! Kim was in such a hurry to clear your plates, clear all the cereals whilst people were still sitting there, unbelievably rude and absolutely no way was that relaxing. My friend who is a vegetarian had to decide as to what she wanted, because if she wanted a veggie sausage they obviously needed 24 hours’ notice to take it out the freezer; if this was made from scratch, fine, but it was a frozen sausage!! On our second morning, I did ask that although the sausage tasted lovely would you mind if it was browned and not look like it was raw as it was unappealing. I then had from Peter that the skin was made of seaweed, was gluten free etc. and he would see if he could grill it, I didn’t want the “in’s and out’s, I just wanted my sausage cooked more! Thank you, Peter it was perfectly cooked and tasted lovely; the breakfast was lovely.

On your website you state “Pub with WiFi at end of drive”, may I correct you on this as we asked and they don’t have Wifi; they were not overly impressed we had been told they do, but more notably whilst in my car by your home I suddenly had Wifi!

Kim, you mentioned you were quite obsessive with cleaning, well may I suggest you get rid of cobwebs, notably the one my friend, when she dropped her knife and went to retrieve it from the floor in the breakfast room had cobwebs covering her hand!!! Behind the beds need cleaning with dust and perhaps rub your hands over the pictures in the bedroom and I think a bit more cleaning attention could be done.

The final upset was that we couldn’t find the second set of keys and as you so kindly put in your “welcome pack” that if keys were lost there was a fine of something like £30-40. We overturned our room until I said I to my friend l must let you know, only to be told by you Kim that you took them yesterday when you were cleaning our room as they were the cleaning room keys; ah so that’s why you gave them to us then? On our departure, you both looked uptight and then Kim you said to us “why didn’t you ask”, well we did after looking for them for over an hour, surely it would have been courteous to tell us that you had taken them and not make us feel like we had lost them and not turn it around as though we had taken them! It was not a nice send off from either of you and we couldn’t wait to drive out of your CCTV driveway.

Would I stay here again?? Not a hope in hell as when I am paying to stay somewhere no matter how much the cost is, I want to be able to relax and come and go without feeling I am being watched, rushed or behaving like some naughty child!

The positives, close to Sidmouth and a wonderful pub at the end of the road. The accommodation was superb and the breakfast, but sadly letting it down was the hosting, and as you said Kim it was a hobby….it is not a hobby when people are paying to stay with you so that needs to be taken on board.

I am sure our comments will be turned around to suit, but I do say, whoever is thinking of booking don’t think you are having a comfortable easy stay unless you feel like you are being watched.

• Stayed: August 2017, travelled with friends
3  Thank Jan M
CurleyBubbles, Owner at The Barn and Pinn Cottage, responded to this reviewResponded 9 August 2017

In response to this ridiculous review, I will respond to each point in turn.
On arrival, if we hear or see guests arriving we actually go to meet them in the car park so that we can greet them and help them with their bags to their rooms. If they have upstairs rooms we take the bags up the stairs for them and again downstairs on departure.
The point about the water bottles, what was actually said was that all our water is good and safe to drink as we have renewed all the water pipes from the main road down to our property and it was therefore not necessary to bring them all in. We also supply a bottle of water on the tray in the rooms on arrival which can be refilled during your stay. If you wanted an extra bottle you only had to ask.
The ‘Keys’ I did not hand you 2 sets of keys! Our guest keys have lovely Brass Key fobs engraved with the room number and our name and address together with the key to your room and one for the front door so that you may come and go as you please once you have checked in.
The other key which must have been left in the door to your room after your room was serviced from the last guest, before your arrival, is black, plastic and has the room number on it and only one key. This is our cleaning key. I am surprised you did not mention that you found it and give it back. The next morning when we went to service your room we had to use our spare set to enter and found the black key on the side. Knowing you had your set of keys and thinking you had left it for us as it is so not the standard that we would give to our guests and obviously the cleaning key, we removed it and put it back on our secure hook in the area not accessible to the guests.
The welcome pack does make you aware of our smoking policy, at the top of the first page.
We are a 500 year old thatched property, we have totally renovated and from a crumbling old damp building which was literally falling down, we have lovingly transformed it into the beautiful building that it is now and it will hopefully stand for another 500 years. We are insured by the NFU who have very strict rules on all fire related safety for the building. This includes an exclusion area with regard to smoking which means the only area is the middle of the car park. They also insisted we have CCTV. We have put a slate seat and tin bucket for your use and we do have a red and black umbrella which is left by the front door for use by the guests.
The first paragraph in our welcome folder is as follows:
Peter and Kim welcome you to The Barn and Pinn Cottage.We hope you enjoy your stay with us in our beautiful 15th Century thatched cottage. We would like you and all our guests to have a really wonderful relaxing holiday/break with us and feel that we are ‘home’ while you are with us.
If there is anything you need please ask and we will see if we can help.
This is basically our ethos. We explain in the folder what time breakfast is and any details which we think the guests may find helpful, including some of our favourite places to eat, local petrol station, chemist etc.
As for dogs, we love them and are very dog friendly. If you look through the other reviews you will see this. Our dog policy is detailed and has been extended as we have encountered some guests who are not good dog owners. But quoting from our policy:
‘We really love dogs. We have many, many repeat guests with their dogs who have no problem with our policies, we love to see them back again.
We want everyone who stays here to have a truly wonderful relaxing, stress free break. By understanding our policies hopefully everyone will.’
With regard to Peter joking about the CCTV, not saying about hooligans but joking about seeing the guests weaving their way back from the pub! He said this on your arrival, not aware that you would be drinking copious amounts in your room, before and after you went to the pub and you were actually ‘staggering’ around on your return to the cottage. If he knew you had a drinking problem he would definitely not have mentioned it. Each morning we had to clear the debris of your drinking from your room and ventilate it as it smelt so strong of alcohol. The guests staying in the room next to you did mention how noisy you were, but as you were only here for 2 nights they were ok with us not saying anything to possibly upset you. The guests who he joking commented in front of you were the ones who were disturbed by your drunken behaviour, he was trying to make light so they would not push the issue of your disturbing them.
I see we are back to the smoking again, if the umbrella was not in its usual place then a guest must have borrowed it, it is back there again now. The other mention of the smoking further in the welcome folder is on the fire instructions on page 3. Totally relevant and necessary to have on that page.
Now onto breakfast, I am aware when guests have finished eating and ask if I may clear their plates for them, I also ask if I can get them any more tea, coffee or toast. When they have had sufficient to eat and drink, I ask if there are any requests for the following day. This is for any fish, porridge or vegetarian options required. The fish we get in fresh as required, the porridge is soaked overnight so that it is delicious and the vegetarian is if they wish for a ‘veggie’ sausage as they are brushed with oil and baked in our vegetarian only bake ware and takes 25-30 to cook, we don’t want the guests to have to wait this length of time for their breakfast so we need to know beforehand. I ask this as soon as they have finished as it is not helpful if the guest leaves the breakfast room before I have had a chance to ask them. The trolley is cleared only when everyone has finished with it.
How you find any of this in any way stressful is a little confusing.
The sausage! We have recently tried a new sausage, which is really meaty, and tasty, it does not brown as much as our other sausages as it has a seaweed casing which basically disappears as it is cooked. These are also gluten free, which is good for all our guests. The sausage was perfectly cooked, but as you told us yourself, when you cook all your cooking is burnt and when you fry an egg it has crispy edges. We on the other hand actually cook our breakfasts properly and proudly win the breakfast award each year.
If the pub has stopped doing Wi-fi then I will look into removing this from my website. It has done wi-fi for the last few years which is why they were happy to have it on our website. We have a very good relationship with the pub and they welcome our guests over, although not so much the drunken loud ones of thankfully we have few.
If you picked up wi-fi near our house then that is our home one and not for use by the guests. Wi-fi for commercial is charged.
If your ‘friend’ had dropped a knife firstly I would have heard it as we have porcelain tiles in the breakfast room and would have got her another knife and secondly the breakfast room is hoovered daily and mopped regularly too. If a spider had got in overnight it would be gone by lunchtime on our next hoover through. We are 500 years old – they come in they get dealt with. With reference to dust on the pictures in your room. The four pictures that are up on your tall wall over the door are at least 8-9 foot up, the only way you could have checked them is if you stood on the chest of drawers!!
Lost Keys
There will be a charge of £40 in the event that you are unable to surrender the keys to your room on departure.
If upon your return home and within 2 days of your departure the keys are found, please ring us. Upon receipt of the keys within 1 week of your departure we will refund the charge.
This is our keys policy, as I have already said we have lovely Brass engraved Key fobs and as we have 10 bedrooms each with a front door key, if keys were lost we would have to change the front door lock, get 13 keys cut, change the lock for the room and get an extra couple of keys cut and get a new brass key fob engraved.
The total cost and inconvenience for this is more than £40 but it is a good incentive for guests to not lose them. Or if they are mislaid or packed in luggage then they are returned promptly.
My “why didn’t you just ask” comment, as you like to quote from our welcome pack then so shall I. On the first page at the bottom it reads:
‘If you do have any problems/accidents/breakages please inform us as soon as possible as they can then be remedied quickly’
Would you stay here again? No! We welcome our nice guests back, ones that appreciate the hard work and love that we have for this beautiful property and the wonderful guests it brings to us. Yes it is our hobby, we own The Barn and Pinn Cottage. We welcome guests to share with us what we have worked hard for. Thankfully we only very occasionally get guests like you, and you are not welcome back!
For anyone who has read all of this, look at our excellent reviews from our lovely guests which actually shows a truer picture. We win the Certificate of excellence each year for our hospitality and care of our guests.

Reviewed 21 July 2017

Kim and Peter were fantastic hosts to say the least, excellent communication from start of booking to check out and we were made to feel welcome as if it was our own from arrival. Given early starts at Bicton arena which resulted in missing breakfast, Peter offered and made breakfast sandwiches to go which he didn't need to do. Went above and beyond, a big thank you to you both for your hospitality and we will be returning on future weekends no doubt. Rooms were spacious, clean and comfortable, what a beautiful cottage and surroundings. Ended up booking multiple rooms for both my fiancée and I, in addition to my parents.

Thanks again, Pete Edwards from Cornwall.

• Stayed: July 2017, travelled with family

Hello Pete, thank you for your great review, it was good to meet you and your family and happy to do your sandwiches for you, after all breakfast is the most important meal of the day and it would be a shame to miss out on Peters breakfasts! Glad you liked your rooms we aim to please. Bicton Park is only a short distance from here and has beautiful gardens to visit even if there are not events on that you are involved in. Take care, Kim and Peter