All reviews creaky floors town centre high street old coaching inn garden room ideal location lots of parking four poster decent size bridal suite twin room full english breakfast a lovely stay stayed for one night following morning rear tlc
Reviewed 17 July 2018 via mobile

Just lovely hotel. Really enjoyed my stay all the staff members were absolutely amazing. The room was clean, spacious, and the bed was really comfy. Great location, just a walk to the city center. I was there to visit the Highclare castle, and it was about a 20 minute cab ride. I highly recommend this hotel.

Stayed: July 2018, travelled solo
Reviewed 16 July 2018

The hotel is located centrally and is five minutes from the main shopping street. The check-in was very quick and there's plenty of room to park the car (free). The room we had is not in the main hotel but in an annex which is next to the hotel. The room was large with very large bed which was very comfortable. The room while tidy and clean along with the bathroom does need some TLC, but having said that was very comfortable and serviced to our needs. We ate in the Oxford Kitchen restaurant and were overall happy with the meals and it has to be said the service was very attentive. Perhaps a little overpriced and it is possible we wouldn't have eaten there have we not been tired after the journey.

Room Tip: Possibly ask for one out the back of the hotel
  • Stayed: July 2018, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 July 2018

I was looking forward to staying at this recently renovated hotel. but I couldn't leave quick enough. A poor welcome from a mumbling receptionist who clearly didn't want to be there, very slow service at the bar and a room full of dust and stains all left me wanting to get out the moment I could. I stripped the duvet of it's cover and sat in a chair to sleep. I simply dropped my key card at the reception on the second morning and the two ladies standing there didn't even look up. I won't be returning.

• Stayed: June 2018, travelled on business
2  Thank Phil C
Reviewed 30 June 2018 via mobile

Been multiple time here, the hotel is nice with a good restaurant but service was not great and some room not good.
After the renewal I found a nicer setup, nicer room (at list at 1st floor) and a much better service. Only remarks about no lift and ac and no fan in the room so can be quite hot
The restaurant remain very good

Stayed: June 2018, travelled on business
Reviewed 25 June 2018 via mobile

We visited this Restuarant on Sunday 24th June after checking by phone and making a booking for traditonal Sunday lunch for £14.95
When we arrived at 12.15 they were
still clearing breakfast.
The service was terrible with 4 or 5 options out of stock. When the meals were served the portions were very small with cold plates and food. There were no Yorkshire puddings which had not been cooked that day.
Very poor.

Stayed: June 2018, travelled with family
Jon_G-HughesHotels, Group Operations Manager at Chequers Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 25 June 2018

Dear paulannewillmer

We were all disappointed to read you review, particularly that we weren't able to offer you certain items from our Menu. Having only recently re-opened we are still trying to understand our business trends. 'Homemade' is very important to us and
unfortunately on this occasion we were caught short following an incredibly busy weekend.

We understand that Sunday Lunch is a special meal, only serving the best Sirloin along with a selection of other Roasts from our local butcher and we always prepare the Roast potatoes and Vegetables that morning, normally along with the accompaniments.

I understand that we haven't met with your expectation on this occasion as a result, I shall certainly be speaking further with Yannick the Food & Beverage Manager and his team to understand how the matter was addressed at the time and how we ensure that the situation is not repeated in the future.

I am sorry that you didn't enjoy this recent visit, we'd love you to come back and give us another chance..Please let either Sophie the Manager or Yannick know and I'm sure you'll find the team on their usual top form, ensuring you have a great return visit!

Kind regards