1,078 results
All reviews murder mystery weekend tower room theatre company great weekend saturday night four poster bed set menu both nights weekend break sea view visited this hotel dining room great value for money coach party single room waiting staff food was lovely
Reviewed 26 July 2018 via mobile

So I paid too much for this Hotel. I had forgot how much or I would have complained on site. I thought it was a cheap overnight for work & I got a reasonable sized room, so said nothing. Unfortunately when I checked out I realised I’d paid more than I thought. There wasn’t much availability due to the dates. The room did have great views but was like a sauna as it had windows all round but only one that opened. The Hotel needs to invest in new vacuum cleaners (or retrain the actual cleaners). The room had a portable fan & when I switched it on I got covered in dust, it was filthy. I unpacked and foolishly placed my work trousers on the window ledge and they got covered in dust. God alone knows when they were last cleaned. Old sweet papers behind the bed and a quick look below confirmed the lack of proper cleaning. Corridors were musty and the lift was the slowest I’ve ever used. Stairs are tight only one person at a time. Breakfast was poor, very cheap ingredients and I was asked to move as ‘the coach party like the sea view’. Well that tells you everything! The restaurant floor and my seat were covered in last nights crumbs. Won’t be back. I’m amazed that Scotland gets away with this shoddy accommodation, just about everywhere, & it’s not as if it’s cheap. Visit Scotland and their ilk need a rocket! I stay all over Europe and for the money we pay here, you get really spotless hotels & great food!

Trip type: Travelled solo
2  Thank CraigiefortScotland
Sher G, Guest Relations Manager at Argyll Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 26 July 2018

Good morning

Firstly i would like to thank you for taking the time to leave your review after your recent stay us with.

Secondly i would like to apologise for all the inconveniences that you had to deal with during your stay.

We take comments like this very seriously and i can assure you that we are already retraining our house keeping and waiting teams to make sure they are working to a very high standard.

I only wish we had been given the opportunity to rectify these issues whilst you were staying with us. We would have gladly moved you room if it was possible or had your room re serviced.

I am sorry to read that you wont return, but should you decide to do we would gladly show you the Argyll at it's finest.

Reviewed 23 July 2018 via mobile

Arrived just after lunch room was ready and available for checking in time. Receptionist was polite and friendly.
Our room was on 1st floor above main street it was large and roomy with king size and single beds.plenty of storage space ect.
Beds comfortable and clean.Bathroom was fine with good poewr shower over deep bath towels and toiletries were ready for use.Maid was in on Saturday to clean room which was done well.Our meals in the restuarant were excellent both at breakfast and evening dinner well served by efficient and friendly staff.The food could not be bettered in quality and with very full plates.
All in we had no complaints in our time spent in the argyll and look forward to returning soon.
I would recommend the Argyll to anyone spending a short time in
Dunoon. I could not fault it.
Stuart from Renfrew.

Trip type: Travelled as a couple

Hello there!

Many thanks for taking the time to leave your great review!

I am so pleased that you had such a superb stay with us! I will be sure to pass on all your kind comments to the team!

I do hope you will come back and visit us again in the not so distant future.

Reviewed 16 July 2018

I spent two years in Dunoon as a child and this hotel was always part of that memory because of it's location close to the ferries (then). So for me this was a nostalgic trip, and my review is probably kinder accordingly.

We arrived around 11 AM, well before check in time, and the hotel staff graciously accommodated us. We stayed in the Tower Room on the third floor--it was well appointed and I appreciated its unique charm. The room has a four poster bed, an armoir, a vanity table--probably way too much furniture for the room actually. You walk in the door, pass the bath and then go up several stairs to get to the bedroom. It is windows on three sides--so the views are amazing. Unfortunately for us, we arrived just a few days after Scotland experienced its hottest day on record, and so the room with all its windows was warm (no air conditioning and the small fan wasn't cutting it). Also, going in summer when the sun rises early and set rather late (ie 10:30pm!) made it interesting to sleep. All in all, the room was clean and had everything you would typically need.

We enjoyed breakfast each morning in the restaurant downstairs--the service was warm and quick. We also enjoyed a dinner at the Rio restaurant downstairs. The food was good and the service was also acceptable.

I hope Dunoon will invest more in tourism--almost every shop closes early (ie by 5) and even then some are closed on Monday or Tuesday--it's not consistent. So if you're staying here, have a plan for dinner and for accessing any stores you might need for snacks, etc.

• Trip type: Travelled as a couple
1  Thank TheRonsWife

Good morning

Many thanks for taking the time to leave your review.

I am so please that you decided to choose the Argyll Hotel for your stay during your return to Dunoon.

I am delighted you got to experience the Tower Room - probably the most famous room in Dunoon. I am disappointed though to read that you were uncomfortable with the heat - i do hope this didn't distract you from views that the rooms has to offer.

I do hope you come and stay with us again if you are ever back in the area.

Reviewed 15 July 2018

Initially booked a single room which was more like a prison cell so paid extra to move to a larger room which was much better. My view was the street behind hotel which was very noisy. Looked onto an all night kebab shop so could here lots of chat etc from their customers into the early hours. Hotel could do with a make over as very dated and a bit run down. Breakfast was very disappointing though staff were pleasant and helpful. Sorry to say I wouldn’t come back.

Trip type: Travelled solo
1  Thank CarolB04
Reviewed 15 July 2018 via mobile

Had a lovely couple of days here. The room was good, at the top of the hotel. We were using it as a base, so it didn't need to be spacious.

The staff at the hotel were very helpful. When enquiring about parking, they informed us of the FREE parking in part of the car park over the road. The first half you pay for, but go further along, it is free.

Breakfast was your usual start of the day, and the service was very prompt.

All in all a lovely stay and reasonably priced. Book direct rather than through hotel value sites as you get a better service.

Date of stay: May 2018
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
2  Thank DonnySwanny

Good afternoon

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave such a lovely review.

I am so pleased that you had such an enjoyable stay with us while visiting the town.

I do hope you come and stay with us again should you ever be back in the area.