3,412 results
All reviews sauna and steam room grand old hotel grand staircase sweeping staircase groupon deal course meal buffet style bit dated opera house short break lovely view full english grandeur chandeliers character derbyshire
Reviewed 5 weeks ago

We were in the area to climb and were struggling to find accommodation so decided to stay at the Palace even though it was quite expensive thinking that we would treat ourselves but that illusion faded as soon as we arrived.

When you arrive the first problem is trying to park, the hotel was built before motor cars were invented and hasn't upgraded it's parking to cope with the current demand.

There was a mix up with our booking, I'm not sure if it was the hotel's fault or the booking site but either way after 20 mins or so they managed to get it sorted.

The hotel has a musty smell which I thought was just old age but it turns out they let dogs stay so unsurprisingly it smells a bit of wet dog.

The room we had wasn't set up for 2 people, there was only 1 towel rail in the bathroom so I left my towel hanging over the chair to dry, when we got back there were 2 fresh towels folded all nice on my bed, or so I thought, it turns out they had folded up my damp towel and put it on the bed so not only was my towel still damp but I now had a damp patch on the bed! Which wasn't very comfortable in the first place.
The shower wasn't up to much either.

Breakfast was chaos, loads of staff but they didn't seem to have much of a clue. They were constantly running out of one thing or another meaning crowds of people milling around waiting for the next batch of sausages or bacon, our table hadn't been properly set after the previous diners so we had no sugar after asking 3 members of staff if they could bring me some or at least point me in the right direction I ended up being given the sugar from a neighbouring table.

About the only good thing was the bar staff who were a bit of a laugh.

• Stayed: August 2018, travelled with friends
2  Thank shortshank2015
Reviewed 5 weeks ago

We had a spa morning and the staff were very friendly and patient while painting our nails, and repainted them when we knocked one! Also had lunch which was two courses of soup and a roll then a sandwich and crisps very nice

Stayed: August 2018, travelled with family
1  Thank P9738FQjanew
Reviewed 5 weeks ago

This beautiful facade hides a hotel in desperate need of investment. Every single area is falling down. How they can continue to charge the prices they do is beyond me. The staff are very much the same as the building probably through having to cope with the continuous complaints.

Stayed: August 2018
2  Thank Paul B

I stayed here with work, I WOULD NOT STAY HERE IF I HAD A CHOICE,
The room was large but dirty, old and worn out as is all of the hotel, I would guess in the 1960's it would fit the name The Palace Hotel, but 100% not a palace now.
On checking out the grumpy old man was under pressure and he told me it was not his problem shortly as he was clocking off, not good customer service. the whole place needs as dam good clean, perhaps they don't have the money to spend, the lift worked as and when it wanted, I used the stars in case it stuck mid floors.
Would I stay here again?
100% NO

• Stayed: June 2018, travelled on business
3  Thank Peter H
Reviewed 14 September 2018

We have stayed at the Palace Hotel many many times over many years but this four night stay was the first since Britannia took it over. What a shock we had. We requested a room overlooking the front but were given room 229. This overlooked nothing of importance at the back, separate toilet but no means of washing your hands only by walking through the bedroom to the bathroom. Only one chair, otherwise sit on the bed. We returned to reception and complained and were given room 331, big bigger, good views over Buxton but it wanted a real deep clean, the bathroom was terrible for wants of cleaning. The corridors, the antiquated lift all really dirty.
Food not bad, breakfast was good but plates were always cold. Evening meals were just about passable, choices could have been better.
We were charged £3.50 for a cup of horrible coffee.
Anyone smoking obviously could go outside on the main steps, the amount of cigarette rubbish mounted up all week and was never removed or the steps brushed etc,
To top it all we spent £517 for the four night stay and they had the audacity to include a car park charge of 4 @ £4.50.
So having known The Palace as a very smart prestigious hotel and seeing the down trodden mess it is now we certainly won't be staying there again.

Room Tip: Do not accept room 229, room 331 has lovely views over Buxton
Stayed: September 2018, travelled as a couple