“Beautiful afternoon tea and cakes”

Hargreaves Edwardian Tea Rooms
Ranked #39 of 116 Restaurants in Buxton
Description: Situated on the first floor of our Department Store selling gifts and cookware is our beautiful Edwardian Tea Rooms. Relax in the peaceful setting browsing our antique displays of years gone by whilst enjoying teas, coffees, cakes, snacks and main meals.
Reviewed 24 October 2017 via mobile

We visited the Tearooms on a wet & cold Sunday. We were welcomed by an array of homemade cakes, cakes and more cakes. The choice was amazing. My husband and I chose a Victoria sponge and lemon drizzle, the portions were very generous. The setting is a typical tearoom with tablecloths and lots of old tea sets on display.
We had a really lovely experience here. Highly recommend.

1  Thank MrsPreston2015
Heather S, Manager at Hargreaves Edwardian Tea Rooms, responded to this reviewResponded 28 October 2017

Reviewed 19 October 2017

After what seemed an age to find 'something substantial' in Buxton - the pubs mostly had loud football on, we came across this delightful tea room. It was very busy, always a good sign! After finding a table we had the exhausting task of WHAT TO CHOOSE! So much....my friend chose the cheese topped cottage pie, I opted for the apple and prawn salad. Like other reviewers have mentioned, we thought 'hot and warming' to see us thro till dinner, a relative light lunch.
Huh, all I can say is after chomping thro delicious food, all we were able to manage for dinner was a little cheese and light biscuits!! The cottage pie was served with salad - not trimming - salad; a pot of coleslaw AND chips!! Wow.....my salad was overflowing with prawns and apple and served with a good dressing.
Fortunately for me my friend Christine does not eat as much as I do.....so guess who ate the chips............
Cannot wait for return trip to Buxton. We are lucky as we both live just outside Loughborough, Leics. so we can do lunch and maybe squeeze in tea (those rock buns, drool) on a day trip! See you soon and Thank You for a great experience, Kriss

3  Thank KrissAndChris

Reviewed 19 October 2017

We only had a short time in Buxton to explore a little and have a morning snack before moving on. We avoided any 'fast food' outlets as we prefer to visit local places, so we have something different to remind us of our visit.
Hargreaves will certainly stay in our memories.
It is situated above an attractive kitchenware shop (in itself worth a browse) but we went up the stairs and back into a bygone scene. It most attractively retains its Edwardian style overlooking the street below, but that view took second place to the beautiful décor and the impressive huge glass cabinets filled with a collector's dream of china, glass and curios.
Our short visit was long enough for us to appreciate their delicious parsnip and apple soup with a soft bread roll and butter and welcome tea and coffee.
A very pleasant and memorable visit. Thank you.

2  Thank Carole S

Reviewed 10 October 2017

I wanted a decent breakfast in Buxton, to fuel me for some walking in the Peak District National Park.  There’s lots of choices in this lovely old spa town, but I chose the Hargreaves Edwardian Tea Rooms as it presented itself as a delightful spot in a historic room setting, with very reasonable prices.

The dining room setting, on the first floor above the family business, is very pleasant.  The Edwardian setting is dominated by two huge antique  glass cabinets filled with old china, crystal wares, and antique curiosities relating to the history of the company business.  It looks classy, but to me that’s about all that was first class about the dining experience.

Food service as akin to canteen service:  queue up to order, place your order, take a number, find a seat, and wait for your number to be called.  Service was charmless, with ‘That will cost you extra’ repeated to me a number of times with the order I was placing.  The restaurant was busy, and people were sitting at uncleared tables from previous diners (the dishes from previous diners at my table were not removed until I had almost finished my meal).

My fry-up of eggs, sausage, bacon and tomato (albeit a very green tomato rather than a plump ripe tomato) was nothing more than bog-standard average.  My double espresso, however, was good.

The dining room offers free wifi, and is easily located in Spring Gardens  in the pedestrianised shopping precinct of Buxton.  It looks a lovely place, but to me it has some way to go to present a first class dining experience.

3  Thank Brian T
Reviewed 23 September 2017

A traditional tea room setting and atmosphere. This time round we had scampi and chips and as always the food was delicious. Decent choice on the menu. The tea room itself is on the first floor of a homeware shop. They have a lovely choice of cakes so it's always a pleasure to call in!

2  Thank Carol391