“Disappointed ”

Cuisines: Mexican
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

We had a family meal on Good Friday but were disappointed with the very slow service (no dig intended at the waiters who worked as fast as they could but there were not enough staff serving). There was also a regular unpleasant sewage type smell, the air con unit was leaking on our table and our heads and the restaurant was not warm enough. Food was average at best. Drinks were fine but a bit over-priced. All in all we won’t be rushing back.

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

Went here this week looking to grab a bite to eat before watching a film at the cinema next door. When we arrived we told the supervisor on the door we were just looking for literally a quick bite to eat - would an hour be enough time- we were told it was - so fair enough.

Our waitress turned up within 5 minutes to take our drinks order and at the same time our food order - which was a number of street food dishes, the drinks turned up --quickly so far so good.

It then takes 3/4 of an hour on a not especially busy night to send out 6 tapas style dishes where the cold stuff was warm and the hot stuff was cold, To add insult to injury it was clear that some of the dishes were not quite as fresh as they could be as where they had been sat under a heat lamp they had dried out and baked themselves onto the dishes. This did leave us wondering what was taking so long?

Obviously sensing our displeasure at having to effectively stuff our meal in less than 10 minutes to avoid missing the start of the film the restaurant kindly knocked 20% off the bill.

It is said that you get what you pay for and in essence this is true. Chiquitos is a Plastic Mexican outlet mass producing overpriced, average facsimiles of an amazing type of food. The price we eventually paid was fair for what we were served and nothing more.

Reviewed 13 March 2018 via mobile

I’ve always liked Chiquito and I have to say the food we had eventually was reasonable. Like one or two others on here we had pretty cheeky service from in our case a blonde haired lady who forgot drinks and the bill ( 25 minutes we waited and they never arrived so got the bill) and it wasn’t that busy midweek. Full of excuses she was. The companies owners TRG are in enough hot water right now financially and don’t need servers like her destroying what is a pretty good branded restaurant.

Reviewed 5 March 2018 via mobile

I adore Mexican food. I cook it at home a lot. It's not hard. But somehow this place fails.

The place was hardly busy and we waited to be sat down for ages. Staff never looked towards us at the door. After about 5 staff had either walked past or ignored us finally a guy comes over to sit us down. At no point did anyone make any attempt to even say someone would be with us shortly. It really took too long as some staff were not actually busy. We were close to walking out!

The menu has no indication if allergens any where (it's not hard to do). You either have to ask (which is hard if there's no waiters looking) or just plump for something safe. When the food came after a moderate wait it looked good. But the cheese is either really bad quality or is fake cheese. That stuff made from vegetable fat. It's odd and spoils the experience and has no place in any establishment except chip shops! I had a rib eye steak which was like tasty boot leather. I requested medium. But got rare. After too long I managed to catch the attention of a waiter (this took a long time and no waiting staff look up as they walk about making it really hard). I complained pleasantly and he took it away. I got back a new meal but this time the steak was over cooked. They don't know how to cook it! Again the steak was tough and impossible to chew. I've never had steak that bad even in a road side cafe. The taste was pleasant but it has to be really poor quality meat. The waiter halved the price if my dish without question as it was too late to do anything and my daughter had finished her meal. My daughter had a burrito. She enjoyed it but agreed it wasn't as good as at home possibly due to the fake cheese. She tried the sauces and said the hot was not even slightly hot and disappointing.

The look of the place is great but the food is not. The service is poor in relation to waiters being available and returning to tables. But they are pleasant and friendly when you get one. I won't be returning I only eat out at places that cook as well as I do if not better. If they can't cook steak correctly and can't source decent meat or cheese it's just expensive take out food.

Reviewed 4 March 2018 via mobile

Ok food but not very good service. The lady who served us need to lose the attitude and learn manners ! And also not talk about us to her boss when we ask for something removing from the bill that we haven’t eaten !! Not happy