“Disappointing.”

The Walton Arms
Ranked #86 of 514 Restaurants in Warrington
Cuisines: British
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Whether you're looking for a long, lazy lunch with family, or a spontaneous mid-week treat with friends, we've got you covered. Our beautiful pub and restaurant combines the cosy, rustic features of the countryside with delicious, contemporary food and drink. And when it comes to refreshment, our fridges are fully stocked with plenty to choose from, including countryside ciders, cask ales, prosecco and carefully selected wines. The Walton Arms dates back to the 1800's when it was once used as a halt for horse-drawn buses. Today, we've tried to preserve some of the original features, such as our tall chimneys, stone mullion windows and grand entrance way. We like to think it's this attention to detail which sets us aside from your average pub. After a bite to eat with us, why not make a day of it and discover what's beyond our walls, including the Cheshire Ring Canal Walk, Walton Hall and Moore Nature Reserve. As part of the Vintage Inns family, we're proud of our countryside heritage and welcoming service which ensures you'll always receive the Vintage treatment. So, sit back and relax while we take care of the rest. The countryside is calling.
Reviewed 30 March 2018 via mobile

We've eaten here before and have been very satisfied with food cooked to a good standard. This is also a dog friendly pub so we like to support it as much as possible. We called in for a late lunch after a morning at Walton Hall Gardens with our dog. The staff were welcoming and friendly. It was also good to see that the chef had added a Good Friday fish menu in recognition that many would not wish to eat meat on this day. Well done! Although one of the fish dishes included Chorizo - er, Chorizo is meat. Schoolboy error. We ordered Seafood risotto and Sea Bass off the special menu. My wife enjoyed the risotto. I had a taste and it was excellent. The Sea Bass? Oh dear. It was very overcooked, dry and chewy. The dog however enjoyed it. The Sea Bass came with baby boiled potatoes. I don't know how chef managed it as some were cooked perfectly and others were raw. A little like Russian Roulette with potatoes! The staff also failed to deal with z family who allowed their children (not toddlers but older) to run shouting around the pub. Not a good environment to pay premium prices (over £30 for the food). Such a pity.

General Manager A, Manager at The Walton Arms, responded to this reviewResponded 2 April 2018

So you didn't enjoy your seabass, we would have been happy to have replaced it for an alternative dish or a fresh one

Reviewed 22 March 2018 via mobile

Popped into the Walton Arms on a nice long winter walk the past week. Just had a couple of drinks it was lovely inside, nicely renovated and spacious. It also allows dogs in which is brilliant!

The staff were tentative, and really polite. We didn’t stop for food, but it felt like such a nice place, that I would certainly return for scran!

Check it out, it’s got a warm and relaxing ambiance. Great for a lazy afternoon.

General Manager A, Manager at The Walton Arms, responded to this reviewResponded 31 March 2018

Thanks so much for your review. Really hope to see you again soon

Reviewed 15 March 2018 via mobile

I can't recall the last time I was presented with such dreadful, overlooked, poor quality, cheap and nasty food. My husband had fish and chips or should I say batter and chips. Over cooked and pitifully poor fish. I had fish cake. Over cooked, mostly some sort of thick crumb coating and a little fish type filling. Truly dreadful in both cases. The fish cake was served with over cooked, barely warm, soggy broccoli, carrots on one side of the plate and salad on the other. The fish cake sat on two supermarket bought chilli cream cheese stuffed tiny bell peppers - how bizarre and inappropriate. Got the impression the cook (can't bring myself to use the term chef) was just piling food into on the plate to position the sad fish cake on. Both meals were absolutely appalling.

Because we were part of a group we chose not to spoil the occasion by complaining but under other circumstances we would have sent the lot back, paid for the drinks and left.

Truly disgusting. Never again.

General Manager A, Manager at The Walton Arms, responded to this reviewResponded 22 March 2018

Thanks so much for your review. We would have been more than to have changed your meals or resolved it in the pub for you

Reviewed 12 March 2018

Ate here with a large party of family and friends following a funeral. We were pre-booked and being midweek and after the normal lunchtime period they were not packed. Service was slow and they had run out of some items on the menu.

I ordered the Aubergine Roll and was offered a substitute accompanying salad as they had run out of the one on the menu. Was expecting a roll of sliced aubergine around a spicy filling with a large salad on the side, but what came was like a ratatouille in a large ciabatta and no salad. There was no mention of bread in this dish on the menu, and although the tomato-based sauce was very tasty it was no where near what I was expecting from the description on the menu and the waiter. As I was with a large party, and we had had to wait so long for the food to arrive, I didn't feel that I they could do any better if I sent it back. Most other meals looked ok, but I noticed that not all were eaten.

Would advise anyone eating here to thoroughly check what your choice consists of before ordering.

General Manager A, Manager at The Walton Arms, responded to this reviewResponded 16 March 2018

Thanks for taking the time to leave this review. We are sorry that you were not satisfied with your aubergine roll, if we had known at the time we would have been more than happy to have swapped it for something else for you

Reviewed 5 March 2018 via mobile

I came here with my family, including my little niece (toddler age) for lunch after a visit to Walton Gardens. The inside is lovely, nice decor, fairly well spaced out and light, not dark like some places.

We all ordered sandwiches, other than my niece who had sausages and mash. We really enjoyed the sandwiches, my mum has some dietary requirements and changed a few things on her order, the staff were attentive and accommodating; the made the changes no problem.
My niece loved her lunch and ate the lot! The only downside was that the coffee tasted a bit burnt, as though the beans had been over roasted.

Other than that, it was a great meal, I look forward to my next visit.

General Manager A, Manager at The Walton Arms, responded to this reviewResponded 6 March 2018

Thank you so much for your lovely review. We are so glad you and your family enjoyed your lunch