Lowest prices for your stay
Lock in the lowest price from these sites
Hotels.comUS$36
PricelineUS$36
Agoda.comUS$36
TripadvisorUS$36
StayForLong
Travelocity
All reviews friendly locals double room rooms were very clean the main street top floor cooked breakfast mohr
Selected filters
Reviewed 28 July 2021 via mobile

We stayed at the Ben Mhor for 3 nights on a room only basis, although they do offer breakfast if you would like it. Check in was quick and easy and there is a car park at the rear with free parking. We had a double room. Decor was lovely and it looked like the bathroom had just been refurbished. The staff were really friendly and helpful especially the chef/barman. The bar at the hotel opens around lunchtime with last orders at 10.30. Lovely atmosphere and got chatting to a few of the locals too. There is a Thai restaurant right next to the hotel, also a few others on the main street.
The hotel was a great place to stay and Aviemore, The Cairngorms etc were only a short drive away. Would definitely stay again if we are up that way in the future.

Date of stay: July 2021
Trip type: Travelled with friends
Reviewed 25 May 2021 via mobile

The hotel is a little dated and the rooms had very thin walls with creaky floor boards. Not the most comfortable place to stay but it was fine for one night.

The bar and restaurant weren't open when we visited so it may have more atmosphere when covid isn't a concern.

Date of stay: May 2021
Trip type: Travelled with friends
Reviewed 4 May 2021 via mobile

We’d set off from Aberdeen to do the North Coast 500 by motorbike, despite the weather forecast being distinctly unpromising. Very wet and windy coming over the Lecht, nothing open in Tomintoul so we were pleased to get to Grantown.

Lots of places closed, particularly as it’s a Monday, but the Ben Mhor had a sign out the front saying the beer garden was open. A slightly tortuous route through to the back, but once there nicely sheltered benches, a log brazier and a group of friendly locals. Gary and Ann the owners were very welcoming and we enjoyed a drink and a chat before heading off to our B&B.

Date of stay: May 2021
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
1  Thank TorphinsTim
Reviewed 5 October 2020

Excellent value for money, we had a superior king room with new furniture and a new bathroom. The room came with a heater that was very effective. We kept our bikes in the function room, very kind of the owner to let us do so. Bit cold for us in September but the beer garden could be a sun trap in the summer. Location is ideal with its private parking. Looked like work was continuing to improve the hotel.

Date of stay: September 2020
Reviewed 23 September 2020

I am struggling to review the Ben Mhor to be honest - not because it was a disaster, or the people were unfriendly or the room wasn’t clean - because actually the people are lovely and it is clean so therefore by no means a disaster - it’s just - well - different. I will try to explain.

I booked it on a whim - a 3 night stay in a “superior room “ for £85 - already I was slightly nervous - it’s a long time since I managed to secure a room for less than £30 a night let alone a superior room - a very long time in fact but curiosity got the better of me so off we set.

Let’s do a list - I think that’s the easiest and fairest way :

Positives :

Nice people
Clean
Refurbished rooms on the higher floor ( not superior but the equal of a small Premier Inn room I would say)
Comfortable King Size bed
Free parking
Covid aware and everything in place.

I don’t want to say negatives ( cos they are really nice ) so let’s call it “ the other stuff” :

It doesn’t feel like a hotel - there are literally no facilities apart from a bar and occasionally a Thai restaurant which seems to be run by someone wholly unconnected with the hotel and has unpredicatable opening times.

There is no breakfast - plenty of cafes around though to be fair very close by. There was coffee, tea and sugar and a full size kettle but no milk in the room. This was probably an oversight to be fair and we don’t use milk so not a problem.

Whilst money has obviously been spent on the rooms on the upper floors ( can’t comment on the lower floors ) - little things have been missed : eg - no pillow protectors, dreadful noisy floorboards have been overlaid with lovely new carpets - the strangest shower cubicle and shower I have ever encountered ( ladies - take a shower cap or prepare to blow dry your hair every morning - take a hairdryer too for this purpose as one is not provided )

The whole place is just a little bit soulless too despite the best efforts of the staff and the bar not properly equipped - saw two men turned away who had asked for a cup of tea each - not an unreasonable request in a hotel surely ? Also never any lemon for a G and T - little things I know, but important.

The single glazing in the bedrooms makes the room cold - again to be fair there was a small fan heater in the room. No offer of a change of towels either.

I don’t think I would book again - however if I was a person looking for a walking holiday and didn’t fancy the “bunk house” / hostel option I probably would as actually despite the shortcomings mentioned the Ben Mhor does represent excellent value for money and is comfortable and friendly.

Date of stay: September 2020