“Wonderful staff contributing to a great experience.”

The Lock Bar and Kitchen
Ranked #6 of 51 Restaurants in Egham
Price range: US$24 - US$43
Cuisines: Gastropub
Good for: View details
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Description: The Lock Bar & Kitchen located on the banks of the River Thames right beside the 'Bell Weir Lock' offers a sense of occasion without pretence, in a relaxed and informal setting, perfect to enjoy with friends and family. Expect home style cooking with dishes that are well known and loved; nothing fussy or complicated, just straightforward hearty dishes, prepared daily from the highest quality, fresh ingredients. The menu changes regularly to reflect the tastiest seasonal produce available with daily specials featured on the blackboard. Alongside the regular menu, every Sunday lunch the restaurant will be offering three courses for £25 which includes a starter and dessert and the roast of the day!*
Reviewed 19 May 2021 via mobile

The hotel had only recently re opened. Very COVID aware so felt safe. We had champagne afternoon tea in the Lock bar and kitchen. Luckily we had a table next to a window with river view. Beautifully dressed tables with good linens and China crockery. Very attentive staff. Delicious finger sandwiches and good selection of cakes / scones with clotted cream and jam. A wonderful experience after a difficult year.

Date of visit: May 2021
Runnymede_Manager, Guest Relations Manager at The Lock Bar and Kitchen, responded to this reviewResponded 21 May 2021

Thank you for your great review of the Runnymede on Thames. I am delighted that you found the hotel very Covid aware and that you felt safe.
I am pleased that you enjoyed the views of the River Thames from your table and that you thought the tables were dressed beautifully with nice linen and crockery. I am also pleased that you found the sandwiches delicious and the selection of cakes good.
I have passed on your kind feedback regarding the attentive team members as it is always nice for the team to receive positive comments.
I am delighted that you had a wonderful experience after such a difficult year and we look forward to welcoming you back soon.
Resident Manager

Write a reviewReviews (405)

Reviewed 11 August 2020

Thought it would be lovely to have lunch outside whilst we were staying in the area. It was a very hot day and there was very few parasols. The are fixed and couldn't be moved, so we were in the blazing sun. Sadly we left so cannot comment on the food. Although I would say that the staff were not very helpful. Maybe just a hot sticky day for everone.

Date of visit: August 2020
1  Thank PaulaW03
Runnymede_Manager, Guest Relations Manager at The Lock Bar and Kitchen, responded to this reviewResponded 12 August 2020

Thank you for your review of the Runnymede on Thames. I am sorry that you decided to leave the hotel rather than enjoy something to eat on the terrace or in the lounge area. Regretfully all of our tables with parasols have been very popular recently due to the heatwave we are experiencing and the team would not have been able to move tables into the shade due to the social distancing to which we have to adhere.
I do hope this won’t deter you from revisiting the hotel in the near future.

Reviewed 7 March 2020 via mobile

Loved the hot chocolate made by lovely Gemma x had lovely food once again. Nan loved the fish dish she ordered. Our server Lorenzo was so very helpful with my nan question and very attentive towards all the other guests.

Was having pdd Lorenzo brought menus up to us in bar area so it gives my Nan a chance to look at menu before going to the restaurant.

Date of visit: March 2020
2  Thank livvyb2020
Runnymede_Manager, General Manager at The Lock Bar and Kitchen, responded to this reviewResponded 9 March 2020

Thank you for your lovely review of The Lock Bar & Kitchen. I am delighted you loved the hot chocolate made by Gemma and enjoyed the meals you ordered. Also, I am glad that Lorenzo was very helpful & attentive towards you and all the other guests. I will pass your compliments onto him as he will be happy to hear your feedback.
We look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Reviewed 24 February 2020 via mobile

Would highly recommend the lock bar & kitchen at the Runnymede hotel, good choice of food you can have popular Sunday lunch or choose something else. Good value & lovely food & service. They also have a child’s menu

Date of visit: February 2020
1  Thank S1054AMannp
Runnymede_Manager, General Manager at The Lock Bar and Kitchen, responded to this reviewResponded 3 March 2020

Thank you for your wonderful review of The Lock Bar & Kitchen. I am happy you enjoyed Sunday Lunch with us and I am glad you think we have a good choice of food on the menu which caters for adults and children. Thank you for your recommendation.
We look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Reviewed 21 February 2020

We were in Egham in late December and dropped in for an early lunch. I had a delicious sweet potato and black bean burger, with big chips (£14.95), and my husband enjoyed his huge fish and chips. The puddings were perfect – my husband chose the tasty crumble, and my blueberry and apple tart was to die for – best pastry and luscious filling! They were very accommodating, kindly making me a nice passionfruit martini with vodka instead of gin, and providing all the burger’s dressings etc on the side. This was good for me as I found the vegan dips a bit odd.

Although one of the wait staff treated me as if I was a naughty child when I reminded her that I'd ordered a glass of prosecco, overall we were very well looked after by a friendly and efficient manager. We will return in better weather, to enjoy river views as we indulge in a very good lunch.

Date of visit: December 2019
3  Thank JanieM

Thank you for your great review of The Lock Bar & Kitchen. I am glad you enjoyed your lunch with us and thank you for dropping by. I am happy you thought the sweet potato & black bean burger was delicious while your husband enjoyed his huge fish and chips. Additionally, I am pleased you loved the blueberry and apple tart while your husband chose the tasty crumble. Furthermore, I am happy the team was very accommodating and kindly made you a passionfruit martini with vodka instead of gin and provided dressings for your burgers. I will pass on your compliments to The Lock Manager as he will be delighted to learn of your feedback. We look forward to your return in warmer weather to enjoy the view of The Thames over a lovely lunch.