“Drive past this one”
1 of 5 bubbles Review of The Filly Inn

The Filly Inn
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Brockenhurst
The Filly Inn
Ranked #20 of 34 Brockenhurst B&B and Inns
portsmouth
“Drive past this one”
Reviewed 1 October 2011

Its a shame, we have fequently used this place for our meal when visting this area, however this was the first time since the place has come under new ownership.
We were initally surprised at the prices which had taken quite a hike. OK so some restaurants are pricey, when you expect it, but we did not think for instance, that £3.50 for a side order of veg was reasonable.
We arrived early and were happy to have a drink while waiting. I noted one of the staff had a filthy apron on and hoped she would not be working in the kitchen....... i hoped wrong.
There were two young guys serving and they were very polite in service. I did expect, from the information i was given my meal would have had vegetables with it and was disappointed when i didnt get these. This was a 'special' and it turned out that veg was 'only' £2 per portion with the meal.
The food, to be fair was good, however the service left a bit to be desired. The projected ambience of the place was spoilt by the sullen and abrupt nature of the girl (with the filthy apron) who was serving (a loose defintion). Our side dish was removed before being finished, we weren't even asked if we had finished, she lacked any customer service skills and we felt she was rude. We were regaled to her loud stories and laughter while chatting with the other staff behind the bar.
The table we sat at was wobbly, this could have been fixed in minutes by owners, one of the chairs was falling apart..
Not going to waste any more time detailing more, Sorry guys you have lost regular customers and need to train your staff.

Room Tip: Drive by this place
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank PortsmouthNorman
Claire L, Manager at The Filly Inn, responded to this review, 26 September 2012
**Please note that The Filly Inn is now under new ownership. With a fresh new team of friendly staff, great chefs and a sizable investment in the buildings and large gardens we hope to vastly improve this beautifully located country pub. In particular our guest rooms have been completely revamped to make them warm, bright and cosy. We have contacted Trip Advisor to make them aware of this change but please note that these comments no longer relate to the current business.**

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
Trowbridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 September 2011

We ate in this pub on our trip to The New Forest after finding out about it online. When we walked into the pub we felt immediately uncomfortable and weren't made to feel very welcome. It was almost too much of an effort for the waitress to show us to our table. We had a steak from the 2 for 1 menu which was lovely, couldn't fault the food at all. One of the waitresses spent most of the time chatting to some friends that were in the pub rather than serving people which was very unprofessional. This place could be so good as it's in a good location in the New Forest and serves some lovely food but it's let down by the young untrained staff and their unprofessional attitudes. It seemed more like a bar in a town rather than the traditional country pub that I was expecting.

Isle of Wight, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 September 2011

We booked the Filly as a base for looking round the Forest and for a birthday meal one of the 2 nights we stayed.The room was clean and decorated nicely though basic. Dinner the night we arrived however was not good. My savoury starter was served in a sweet pastry case and when I pointed this out was met with not much interest. My main course was burnt and on returning it was given a free drink by the waiter who was very apologetic. When I received the dinner freshly cooked the chips were revolting. Therefore the birthday meal the next night was eaten elsewhere and was excellent.Both breakfasts were okay. The Pub is in a nice setting though traffic noise may disturb some.

Bedfordshire
Reviewed 21 September 2011

I stayed for two nights recently with my husband and dog.

As we were meeting friends for lunch on the day of our arrival I had asked if it would be possible to check-in a little earlier so that we could leave the dog in our room whilst dining. I received an email back stating that check-in could be no earlier than 3.00 pm and in any event we would not be able to leave the dog unattended in our room. I thought this was a little unaccommodating of them, but accepted that if that was their policy then fair enough. However, on the day we arrived and whilst waiting in the bar for our friends, a couple turned up and checked-in straight away - it was 1.30 pm!

We enjoyed the pub and the food on offer (one side of the bar is dog-friendly). Regarding the accommodation, the room we stayed in was very basic, but this was expected after reading previous reviews. We had in fact been moved to a bigger room (which we were told is not usually rented out) because I'd mentioned that our dog was on the large side. As it turned out, the size of the room was ideal for the three of us. Although it was terribly outdated, obviously not in regular use and not very clean, the bed linen and towels were clean and fresh and the shower, although somewhat mouldy, did work and did provide hot water.

I did also request by email if it would be possible on the second night of our stay to reserve a table and have a bottle of champagne waiting for us as it was my husband's birthday. I received a reply stating "no problem, we will organise that for you" and when I saw the manager that morning she asked if we would still be dining that night and said she would arrange it for us. Sadly, the table we asked for hadn't been reserved when we came into the bar that evening and the champagne never arrived. To rub salt into the wound, the couple at the next table did have champagne on their table, upon which my husband commented "you could have done that for me". I was very disappointed and confessed to my husband that I had indeed made an unsuccessful attempt at surprising him with some bubbly.

I came away with the impression that there is a lack of communication, not only between the inn and their guests, but also between the management and the staff who are actually handling the day-to-day running of the inn.

Apart from these things, we did still enjoy our stay. If you want a pleasant meal in pleasant surroundings, I don't think you'd be disappointed. Likewise, if you just wanted a bed for the night and weren't too fussy about your surroundings, it would be fine. However, if you want somewhere a bit more comfortable to stay and expect a certain level of service, then I would suggest you look elsewhere.

Reviewed 18 August 2011

Poped in, after seeing reviews, for Georges 5 th birthday tea. Everything was fine and the food enjoyed by all, took a little while to arrive, but ok as the had 49er on tap.

• Stayed August 2011
Also consider these accommodations in or near Brockenhurst
1.9 km away
8.1 km away
Ormonde House Hotel
Ormonde House Hotel
#3 of 8 in Lyndhurst

Been to The Filly Inn? Share your experiences!