7 people are viewing this hotel
Lock in the lowest price from these sites
US$257
View deal
eDreamsUS$257
PricelineUS$257
FindHotelUS$257
TripadvisorUS$257
Travelocity
2,596 results
All reviews new forest superior room sauna and jacuzzi outdoor pool lovely hotel afternoon tea lounge area birthday celebration four poster bed short break relaxing break beautiful location waiting staff scones a lovely stay full english cricket
Selected filters
Reviewed 9 August 2021 via mobile

I don’t really write reviews but the service we received was outstanding. The food was brilliant as well! The staff were friendly and helpful and nothing was too much trouble. They were around when needed but not intrusive. They were also very patient waiting for people to leave tables so that they could clear them and set up for the evening. I would highly recommend for any family occasion. The the main two waiters that looked after us went out of their way to make it a great occasion. Thank you! For an industry that has been hit so hard you have definitely come back as good as before and I hope you remain as popular

Date of stay: August 2021
Trip type: Travelled with family
Chris Wilson, Owner at Balmer Lawn Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 9 August 2021

Dear mariaw874

Comments and reviews like this are inspirational - thank you. It means a huge amount to the entire team. We very much hope to welcome you back again in the very near future.

Reviewed 8 August 2021

We booked here as a lunch stopover on our way to and from West Dorset and it was such a great find. The staff were pleasant, we felt safe with their Covid measures (we visited before restrictions were eased) and the food was fantastic. We were lucky with the weather and loved sitting on the sunny terrace. We tried the wood-fire pizzas one day - and sandwiches the other. All fresh, tasty and nicely presented.

Dear anne_robinson82

What a fantastic review, delighted that you had a great time and enjoyed our offering.

Reviewed 6 August 2021

We were staying in the New Forest to celebrate my 60th birthday. Our room (no. 4) was very nice, but unfortunately overlooked other rooves with fans/generators etc so on hot nights with the window open it was very very noisy and difficult to sleep.

Overall service was poor. There is a system, which properly staffed could work well, so that even if you just want a very quick drink, you have to queue at a desk, be seated and hope that eventually a member of staff comes and takes an order. Given that ordering at the bar is now fine again it would seem that this system is over the top. In a well staffed situation it would be fine but absolutely was not whilst we were there .

On the night of my actual birthday the service in the restaurant was absolutely atrocious. Ages before anyone took an order. 35 mins between starter and main - and when it came out just luck warm - no idea now long it had been sitting - and this was pretty much the most expensive thing on the menu.

One thing became clear over the few days which was the priority given to wedding parties - they were clearly getting preferential treatment. I know that they are going to be essential to the recovery of some hotels but surely not at the expense of customers who would consider returning.

It could have been so much better.

Room tip: Definitely avoid Room 4
1  Thank anonofbiggs

Dear anonofbiggs

Sorry to read your comments here, to be honest we are struggling to recruit sufficient staff, this is in the news almost daily and it is causing a few problems. Regarding service at the bar, even pre-COVID our desire is to provide good quality "table service", we have not delivered on this occasion and please accept my apologies for this.

All our staff work exceptionally hard and are dedicated to always delivering the very best they can, clearly this was short of the mark on this occasion of your visit to the restaurant but to describe this as "absolutely atrocious" is not only disingenuous it is unnecessary and unkind.

We do not prioritise any one group over another, all our guests and clients are equally important to us.
I wish I could understand why some people are seemingly so angry at the moment, we have all suffered the pain inflicted by the pandemic, sadly forums like TripAdvisor give the “angry” a platform to vent that other industries don’t have to deal with.

Reviewed 4 August 2021

My wife and I stayed here recently as it’s local to us for our wedding anniversary without the kids. On arrival the staff were friendly and polite and gave us our room key from then on it all went downhill. Our ensuite had so many problems as soon as we opened the door I noticed the toilet continually running so called reception and after a while did sort the problem, then when getting ready for our evening meal we had no hot water to shower another phone call and they came and sorted it what else could go wrong!! Well over the cause of the night the ensuite water pump would come on and off, toilet decided to not flush at all and to top it off the room was hot even with a fan going and we had no cold water just hot from both sides of the tap!!
When checking out we mentioned our problems over the night and the fact we couldn’t sleep well because of the pump banging loudly , and although they did reduce the room rate a little the manager asked for us to email our issues direct to him, still waiting for a reply!!
Great food and friendly staff just not somewhere you would want to sleep especially as our view out the window was a scaffold tower.

Date of stay: August 2021
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Chris Wilson, Owner at Balmer Lawn Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 5 August 2021

Dear Phillip O

This does not make good reading, can you please contract me directly as I would like to know your room number and the date you stayed with us. I will do my best to sort this out to your satisfaction. I am sorry that you encountered such a plethora of plumbing issues and thank you for your positive comments about the reception team, friendly staff and the great food.

Reviewed 3 August 2021 via mobile

Me and my Wife stayed here the night after our wedding as a little Mini Moon. I couldn’t be more happy with the service. The staff were absolutely fantastic! The room was beautiful and the food was amazing!

They really made us feel special. The weather was great so we spent the day chilling round the pool and having some lovely cocktails before having a meal there. The steak was 10/10.

Balmer Lawn is one of our favourite hotels and holds a special place in our hearts as it was where I proposed to my partner 7 years ago.

We cannot recommend this beautiful hotel any higher.

Trip type: Travelled as a couple

Dear Neil K

What a fantastic review and thank you so much for expressing how special the hotel is to you and your partner. Your comments mean so much to everyone associated with the hotel.