7 people are viewing this hotel
Lock in the lowest price from these sites
US$202
View deal
eDreamsUS$202
PricelineUS$202
Agoda.comUS$202
TripadvisorUS$202
Travelocity
2,570 results
All reviews new forest superior room sauna and jacuzzi outdoor pool lovely hotel afternoon tea lounge area birthday celebration four poster bed short break relaxing break beautiful location waiting staff scones a lovely stay full english cricket
Selected filters
Reviewed 13 August 2021

First of all - the staff and service was fantastic.. however..

The hotel was pretty run down to be honest, for £175 a night expected some stylish rooms and spa facilities. The rooms were very tired, the spa was no better than a leisure centre. Additionally - we wanted to park our car in the car park before checkin and were told no.

Breakfast an extortionate price - also should be included in room rate given how expensive it is .

Wouldn't stay here again

Date of stay: July 2021
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
2  Thank qwarchyarch
Chris Wilson, Owner at Balmer Lawn Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 15 August 2021

Dear qwarchyarch

Sorry by what a load of rubbish, we had one day when we monitored the car park as it was an exceptionally busy day, there is no way you would have not been allowed to park you car as a resident.

You are confusing the indoor pool and our Saltus Spa facilities they are two different things in different areas.

Had you booked directly with the hotel all our rates are fully inclusive of breakfast, you clearly booked with a third party like Booking.com and then breakfast is charged as an extra. I for one am pleased to hear that you will not be returning.

Reviewed 13 August 2021

Really comfortable and friendly hotel. Great staff, some of whom have worked here for years. Well appointed rooms with modern decor. Excellent Beresford's restaurant and The Lodge for more relaxed dining, quality and presentation of food is appealing. Amazing location and close to many New Forest attractions.
Indoor and outdoor pool, sauna and well equipped gymnasium.
Nothing seemed too much trouble for the staff.

Dear Marmalade64

Thank you so much for these lovely positive comments, delighted to read that you enjoyed all aspects of your stay with us, Your comments mean so much to our hard working and dedicated teams.

Reviewed 10 August 2021

We had a dreadful supper at a hotel near Silverstone the previous night, so needed a proper Sunday lunch. The Balmer Lawn provided it. Although we arrived early, they settled us in the Snug for a drink before lunch and the service throughout was on the button. A request for extra gravy to go with our Roast was swifly satisfied and the deserts were outstanding.

Dear wightgt

Thank you for this great review, it means so much to everyone working at the hotel. Delighted to read that you enjoyed your Sunday Lunch with us and we hope you will return soon.

Reviewed 9 August 2021

A poor experience and we have raised these items on the night and subsequently in an email to the venue and been ignored - AVOID, there are much better places nearby.

We visited as part of a booked group, we were dismayed that no effort had been made to accommodate the group booking. We were split between two tables with a walk-way between these which made conversing difficult. It was frustrating that the table beside us was un-used, therefore both tables could have easily been placed together on one side of the walkway, to sit us together and give our party booking more of a “party” feel.

We ordered drinks and soon came to order from the menu. Both myself and my partner were uninspired by the menu, which appeared quite bland and without much local provenance compared to other local venues. I ordered the veggie burger and my partner ordered the meat one. On receipt I made the mistake of making up the burger as dispatched – while happy with more spicy foods, the salsa was inedible – making the burger difficult and painful experience to eat. My partner described his burger as “nothing special” and luckily had accidently eaten some salsa, so was able to exclude this.

During our meal three times we had waiting staff come up to try and drain bottles and gain more drink ordered. While they might be encouraged, this was excessive. On one of these visits we commented about the table outside that were smoking (directly adjacent to the tent sides). Our waitresses solution; to pull the sliding door closed a little bit, the door with a big notice on it saying it must stay open due to Covid requirements! Meanwhile the cigarette smoke wafted up the tent sides and in over the top and around the sides. This continued during our meal and afterwards, despite making the observation.

The dessert menu was presented to us “expensive side up”, therefore most of our party declined to order a £9 dessert. We decided to have a sharing dessert for two, though unsure whether this was coming from the expensive or cheaper side. After a wait we were presented with a pizza with bananas on it and a jug full of cream. This wasn’t the sharing dessert mentioned (with samples of each of the desserts listed above) and the pizza was black at the edges.

All in all a very poor experience, it is the first time in many years that we went home both feeling the food was poor quality, not sufficient portion size, not even with a side salad and over-priced (for what it was), feel the waiting staff were more interested in selling drink orders and with sore throats from the cigarette smoke.

Room tip: Avoid the service and the food...
1  Thank E4013FZclarec

Dear E4013FZclarec

It is not clear when you visited, if it was during the COVID 19 restrictions this would explain why your party could not sit at the same table. If a table was vacant that you wanted to use why not ask and it would have been accommodated.

You do seem very angry and disappointed, wines being topped up, dessert menus expensive side up, accidently eaten salsa, to be honest I am struggling to make much sense of your comments. You clearly did not like our offering, fortunately many do. I will leave it there.

Reviewed 9 August 2021 via mobile

Not impressed, unfortunately. We stopped for food because we had stayed at the hotel a couple of times pre Covid and enjoyed our stay.

The good point was that the staff were polite and friendly.
Although I know it’s no longer legally required, I was very concerned that there appeared to be no safety measures in place.

Not one member of staff we saw wore a mask and no social distancing in place. Even the young staff members bringing our food and drink did not wear masks and members of the public were walking past our table with barely 1m space.

I was surprised at this and felt unsafe, so much so, that we didn’t eat our meals although we paid for them.

Disappointed that very basic safety measures are not in place to potentially protect those that are more vulnerable.

I did not intend to share this to Trip Advisor but I have had no reply to my email or Twitter request directly to Balmer lawn.

The worst part of this is that we have had ZERO response from the management team to the e mail or Twitter. If they can’t be bothered to reply to a complaint if this nature, how are they ever going to deal with any other complaint. Seems like they do not care.

Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Chris Wilson, Owner at Balmer Lawn Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 9 August 2021

Dear 1RDavido

Thank you for your review, as the owner of the Hotel I am very frustrated that we have failed to respond to you before now. As I am sure you are aware the entire industry is struggling with staffing and everyone is under pressure to keep the wheels turning, however, there is no excuse for not responding to e-mails highlighting a concern like this.

I will be following up to find out why we did not respond to you and please accept my apology for this.

Moving on to your points raised. As you rightly say there is now no longer a requirement for masks or social distancing. Our covered dining area The Lodge is very well ventilated as large sections are totally open. If you were in this area I am sure you would have felt safe.

Regarding staff and mask-wearing, we have left this entire at the choice of each individual staff member. I think this is right and fair I am sorry that as a more vulnerable person this made you feel uncomfortable. I am sure if you had bought this to our attention at the time, we could have seated you in quiet area of the Hotel.

I do not accept your comment "Disappointed that very basic safety measures are not in place...." this is untrue and inaccurate, we have multiple hand sanitiser points all over the ground floor areas, extensive/additional cleaning of the public areas and toilets.

Finally, to say "Seems like they do not care", this could not be further from the truth we have at all times taken the COVID 19 regulations and fulfilled or surpassed them at all times. We care greatly, but we cannot enforce restrictions like mask wearing and social distancing when the regulations are no longer in force as you acknowledge yourself.

I hope that you will reconsider your review in light of my reply although I have to accept that your comments were posted more on the basis that we failed to respond to your e-mail and Twitter post, and I am genuinely sorry that we failed in this regard.