All reviewshotel dogchesil beachlistening serviceresident dogclimbing walltable tenniscinema roombaby listeninglounge areas areluxury family hotelsskittle alleyindoor play areafamily friendly hotelswimming pooltennis courtsplay barnthe main house
Reviewed 11 August 2016

My dad was visiting me in London from NYC and wanted to have a typical English seaside experience so we landed on Dorset. The hotel's location was beautiful with the green countryside on one side with an archipelago type beach in the front. Horses are grazing and there are some lovely walks. You can NOT walk to the proper beach nor swim in the water in front of the hotel. We had taken the train to Weymouth and there is a great seaside 5 minutes walk away. It is geared for kids with movies played during dinner, a listening service, 3 indoor pools for all ages and a kids club but the house is shabby and worn-which some may see as charming but it depends how much you are paying. There is no evening turn down service and you do lug your own bags up the stairs. But the staff are all warm and welcoming! they even have a house dog. I think where the hotel really lets itself down is the restaurant. The crab linguine was drenched in cream and the bouillabaisse was tasteless. They did replace it though. Also, they seem to favour process over customer service like when I wanted to turn a 2 seater into a 3- but eventually they did and they were charming! I ordered a dessert that didn't come for 45 minutes and it turned out it wasnt ordered! But Vio did a great job in managing it so we didn't feel too bad. All in in all, we enjoyed our stay there but wouldn't come for a whole week.

Room Tip: The regular double is TINY!
  • Stayed: August 2016, travelled with family
Neil C, General Manager at Moonfleet Manor Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 29 August 2016

Dear abcd123londonuk,

Thank you very much for your comments. Please do be assured that we do use guest feedback to keep improving our guest experience.

I am sorry to hear that your dinner experience was not as slick as it should have been, but I am glad that Vio sorted it out for you.

We do very much look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Reviewed 10 August 2016

We spent a long weekend here, desperately in need of relaxation. The old house is lovely: drawing rooms and lounges with huge squishy sofas, quirky knick knacks and ornate mirrors. The pool area is great, not huge but clean and well maintained. Lovely open playing area for our little one to toddle about in. We ate in the restaurant for breakfast and dinner. Food was brilliant....but not everything was available. In the three days we were there, we requested five separate dishes to be be told they were unavailable. And service can seem a bit chaotic. Staff all lovely but can seem overwhelmed when the restaurant is only half full.
This place is truly family friendly and the rooms have everything you need for travelling with a toddler. But...the sound proofing in the new wing is pretty poor. As we tried to get our toddler to sleep, we were foiled by tipsy shrieky middle class mum next door having handstand competition against our party wall with her young children (?!). Best advice is to stay in the old part of the house.
Great views, there's a lovely walk through the fields to L.Herring, where you'll find a pub that has a lovely outside area and does good lunches.
The good far outweighs the bad here, we'd love to revisit.

Room Tip: For soundproofing, go in the old house.

Dear SilverLadyLondon,

Thank you for taking the time to let us have your feedback.

It is really great to hear that you had such a lovely time and that you would love to revisit - I hope it is very soon!

Naturally, there are always things that we can do better, but we can't do much about other guests in their rooms!

We look forward to welcoming you back to Moonfleet in the very near future.

Reviewed 10 August 2016 via mobile

Positives:
-Beautiful setting (horses in a field, rural beach, secluded, etc)
- Great for families with small children (playground, children movie screenings, tissues, pads, creams in toilets for nappy changing, etc). There are few 'baby related' pages in a hotel guide, and overall that seemed to be the 'common theme of the hotel' (my guess is that the owners are new parents/grandparents- this would explain the enthusiasm).
- pretty garden with sun loungers

Things to improve:
- waiting times for food!!! At dinner we waited for a starter for over an hour. 2 hours after seating we still haven't had our main! At breakfast they have run out of hot buffet food 1h before the breakfast supposed to finish and they didn't replace it. We then ordered of the menu, and again, had to wait for eggs for more than an hour! Many people were complaining over it. (My guess is that the kitchen doesn't have enough staff, or maybe requires a better management).
- Last spa treatment on a Saturday was at 16:30, now this might be ok for people with young children but for a couple on a romantic break it's too early.
- Reception/ welcome and goodbye manners. For a start, reception is located in a cupboard, very small and weird set up. At the check out, both receptionists were talking to another guest about places to visit, all while taking our card, charging it, passing it back to us without even looking at us (or saying anything), and carried on talking to other guest. In my opinion one of the receptionists should have given us full attention. We felt a bit 'used' and unwelcome at this point.
- I got woken up by screaming children and cooing parents 3 times during the night/ early morning. So no Sunday morning lie in. My suggestion is that people without children be put in a deferent wing to those with, so everyone is happy.
- Extraction fan in the bathroom was broken and made noise when not in use.

Overall I would say this hotel is nice for families, not so nice for adults only.

Stayed: August 2016, travelled as a couple
1  Thank AnaG2011

Dear AnaG2011,

Thank you very much for taking the time to leave us your feedback. Whilst it would seem that you had a good time with us, there are some things that we can do better and we will use your feedback to ensure that we keep on improving.

I am aware about the breakfast that you mention (which was mostly about exceptional levels of consumption) and we have subsequently put in place remedial plans that work very well. Please do accept my apologies for the extended wait.

I am disappointed about your departure experience and will be discussing this with our front of house team. This is not acceptable and I do apologise.

We do hope to see you again in the future and I would be delighted to be able to make your next stay extra special, so please do contact me personally and I will make arrangements.

Reviewed 8 August 2016

Arrived very early so went to breakfast (paid separately as room wasn't ready but wasn't a problem) Hot food was laid out in warming trays - Food wasn't hot and had to be returned to be heated up - The building its self is lovely but its not looked after and is in dire need of a good clean ! - Unfortunately, aro 4/5pm there was no hot water - I tried again later in the evening and still none (the lady on reception did reduce the bill).
I would not call this a luxury hotel as all the info/leaflets states ! but it could be !!

1  Thank LIZA G
Neil C, General Manager at Moonfleet Manor Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 11 August 2016

Dear LIZA G,

Thank you very much for your feedback.

Please do accept my apologies for the problem with Hot water. I do understand how terribly frustrating this is and I am pleased that my colleague took the initiative at check-out. The problem has been resolved, but it is unclear whether you reported this to us. Please do not hesitate to feedback further to me personally.

We do look forward to welcoming you back to Moonfleet in the near future.

Reviewed 6 August 2016

What a lovely birthday surprise from my husband booking Moonfleet and the hotel followed through with excellent service, attention to detail, beautiful setting & everything you need for your family. The team really went out their way to make us welcome- putting little gifts in the room, towels created into a birthday cake tower etc. Ok so we did splash out and get a luxury room (Elsevier) but it did mean we had 2 large rooms for us & our 2 girls and a big bathroom with change mat, potty and step stool. I'd call it more of a luxury mini resort centred around making a family feel comfortable (love the little touches like baby wipes and nappy bags in the ladies)... We are grateful for that! Mealtime can be stressful with a 3 & 1 year old but the Moonfleet team don't make it so at all. We enjoyed luxurious top class food with our children who ate their fave foods, made mess, made noise but was always made to feel welcome by the team. It's a real credit to everyone front of house. We recommend the steaks for definite (fillet and rump) and the child's pizza and spaghetti meatballs :) The waitresses at lunch service were so attentive, they even packaged up leftovers in little foil handbags which my 3 year old thought was amazing. The service in the evening was also so friendly and welcoming. However my only small criticism is the dinner service was a bit slow and we did have to wait for drinks & remind about bringing crudités for the girls but we always received an apology in these situations before we said anything. The only thing I'd say is just watch the kids tablecloths... Ours weren't changed before pudding so they were still eating next courses within the mess from main. The price of all drinks and children's food is a little dear so checkout was a shocker! Maybe a child's meal deal like £5.95 for 2 courses & squash would be appreciated! However these are minor points and were totally outweighed by our overall fantastic experience. We felt like we were in a bubble. We had everything at hand and didn't really need to leave... lovely 3 phase Swimming pool- splash, toddler & normal, cinema room, an amazing soft play/ games room where my 3 & 1 year old could roam safely, tv room, plush relaxing lounges & so much more. The outside sandpit and play area overlooking Chesil beach and the horses is just beautiful. The spa was lovely...Thanks Caroline for my mani/pedi. I would recommend listing Shellac/gel for pedicures and manicures though, any busy mum would really appreciate something long lasting & child proof :) overall I can't praise Moonfleet enough- thank you Sam for your welcome and help answering questions, thank you to the entire team for the small touches which made our stay chilled and enjoyable.