Storrs Hall(Bowness-on-Windermere)
  • Breakfast included
Linthwaite House(Bowness-on-Windermere)
US$343
US$333
The Burn How Garden House Hotel(Bowness-on-Windermere)
US$292
US$217
The Hydro Hotel(Bowness-on-Windermere)
US$278
US$250
  • Pool
Macdonald Old England Hotel & Spa(Bowness-on-Windermere)
US$322
US$443
Lindeth Howe(Bowness-on-Windermere)
US$298
US$175
Virginia Cottage Guest House(Bowness-on-Windermere)
US$116
US$113
Hotels.com
Elim House(Bowness-on-Windermere)
1,116 results
All reviewshipping hallevening mealcream teatravelzoo offerlovely hotelthe ground floorwhirlpool bathvenisonlake districthomemade biscuitscheese boardafternoon teastandard roomsmall portionstasting menucomfortable loungelake view room
Reviewed 19 February 2018 via mobile

Perfect hotel for a weekend getaway. My partner and I have just enjoyed a fantastic weekend at The Ryebeck. We booked an upgraded double room which was clean and spacious with excellent facilities. The staff were very helpful and polite.
We booked an evening meal in the hotels restaurant and was very impressed with the food. We both had the scallops starter and the pork main course. The scallops were cooked to perfection and the pork main was beautiful. The presentation was very professional and the quality was second to none.
A cream tea for two was included in the price of the room and was very enjoyable. We were just expecting a scone or two but was presented with sandwiches and a large variety of small desserts.
The cooked breakfast was very nice indeed with quality bacon and sausage. Even the bread was of a high end thick slice granary type. Just perfect.
The only slight disappointment was the room next door had a very noisy extractor fan and shower however this was a minor detail on an otherwise very enjoyable stay.
We will definitely recommend and stay again.

Reviewed 18 February 2018 via mobile

A very good hotel.
I booked a superb room (No 19 looking out toward the entrance and Car park). Which was very clean and up to a good standard. The bath room with bath over shower . Not ideal for elderly person as bath had a big side step . Plenty hot water and good shower.
Food was good but portions were very small for the money which in my opinion was not value for money.
Evening food service very good.
Breakfast service a little slow.
Overall stay was good
Shame about the meal.

Reviewed 17 February 2018

I booked the Hotel as i used to live and work in the local area over 15 years ago, the break was for my wife who's birthday it was on 13th Feb 2018 the booking was two nights at the Rate of £217.01 for two nights bed and breakfast. as I noticed the hotel seemed to have a good rep, having two rosettes and 3 star recommendation from the AA

I book the hotel and email the hotel a week before and told that my wife as a dietary requirement e.g Gluten Free, So could the receptionist could inform the Kitchen Brigade of this, I received a prompt email from Roxie as she confirm that the Kitchen could accommodate her / use..

So on the 13th February I attempted to checked into the Hotel at around 2.30pm, I met the receptionist and she was on the phone in the back office talking about rotas for over 10 mins, at this point I kept on coughing to get her to hang up the phone and check us in and after soom time she did hang up, She did say sorry and explained that she was talking to her manager about the rota, as she his leaving to go to a better Hotel in Barrow in Furness. I could not believe with what I was hearing.. this alone should have rang alarm bells for me but as I had drove and was tried I just wanted to have a coffee and relax so on check in I asked for a room upgrade but was told that there didn't have one available at the time as housekeeping had left but she told me and my wife that she would get in touch with me later once another room was available, well I am still waiting for her to get in touch with about a upgrade..

on the first night we had decided to dine out at another restaurant so we did, but we came back to the hotel at around 8pm and was met by a Polish assistant Manager was the nice to be honest she made use welcome and I asked for a Bottle of wine in the Lounge area, whilst we where drinking our wine I asked about the afternoon tea for the next day and explained yet again that my wife is gluten free, she then told me that the hotel could cater for my wife so we booked it for 3pm as we would be out and about in the lakes on the 14th February 2018. myself and my wife decided to then go to our room which may I add was walking right passed the kitchen service entrance we took the wine bucket and wine to our room to finish off.

14th February first breakfast was quite good staff where nice. I cleaned the bedroom up and emptied the wine bucket and left it near the door for the staff to remove.

So when we came back to the hotel at 2.50pm we went to the room and noticed that the staff hadn't taken the wine bucket away nor did there replenish the soap / tea & Coffee, I was going to mention it the Receptionist but bless her she was on her own with arrivals and our afternoon tea and other afternoon tea to serve,

Our afternoon tea was absolutely terrible, the kitchen was aware that my wife was gluten free but I wasnt the we could not eat it the cakes where dry and you could tell that it was all bought in, not good from a kitchen that have Two Rosettes ??

so we went back to our bedroom and at this point I just wanted to cancel our meal in the restaurant but due to the bad weather and we both decided to give then another go ( Bad Mistake )

We where booked for 7.30pm we where at 6.30pm to have aperitif before being seated, whilst in the bar area we met by a maître d my wife asked him if he had a separate menu for gluten free option as his answer was that he could tell what she could have, so we looked at the menu for a short time and to be honest I would have thought for a two rosette kitchen that there would have been more on the menu and a TDH menu as the menu we where presented with was lacking in choice and creativity from kitchen I have seen more option from a one rosette gastro pub.

My wife decided to have a the mackerel starter, but was told no as it was wrapped in bread, I asked he the chefs could adapted it and the answer was No, so she then deicide to have a twice baked cheese & chive souffle, so then again he went off to speak to the kitchen and we where told No, at this Point I asked How the kitchen I making the souffle as the Rue used to make that base is often used Corn flour, he confirm this with chefs and I told him that Corn flour is Corn flour and nor wheat. At this point I should have got up and walked out how can a chef not know the difference between corn flour and Flour?? So it was agreed that the kitchen would make fresh souffle I wish I had made sure that the kitchen staff hadn't at coated the ramkin with bread crumbs either as this is a breach of cross contamination,

So we had souffle as a starter each and she Halibut which was also lacking in flavour and I had Rack of Lamb which was not even seasoned and lacking in decoration on the plate and in flavour

Bread Course. Well my bread was on the same platter as my wife's gluten free bread and slice of butter to share. So yet again cross contamination.

I also ordered a Bottle of Chablis, which was put on the table with cork still in it I had to asked three times for the bottle to be opened and it was when were where on our main course not good.

I noticed the table behind us was complaining about the Bread course as their did not receive one.!!

The desert I decided to give up at this point but my wife decided to try the amaretto chocolate parfair, but regretted it, the plate was warm and mango puree was warm and there no amaretto in is. Was a joke. Of all my years of working in the trade this is the worst by far.

At 12.30am my wife was very ill being sick I called reception but No answer so I go changed and went looking for a member of staff, I found the same maître d appeared from the lounge. I explained what was wrong he didn't ask if she was ok and if she needed a doctor he cot me a bottle of Mineral water, ( great )

so sleep deprived as my wife was ill all night and I was feeling very angry about the whole ordeal so I didn't sleep much at all.

When it came to the morning we decided to Not have breakfast as my wife was still very ill and was as white a sheet. So I arrange to have a coffee and glass of orange juice in the lounge and I went to reception to ask for a manager and I was greated by the same maître d who it turned out to be the Hotel General Manager... He proceeded to put his hand out to shake my hand, I refused point blank to shake his hand. I thought to myself are you having a laugh I haven't slept, my wife his ill, the bedroom is flithy, and you want me to shake your Hand lol....!!!

He followed me in to the lounge where I discussed the whole ordeal of our break away, at this point I asked a few question, when did you get your rosettes and how long have you worked here , he went onto to tell me that he as been here for 2 years and the rosettes where issued in the 2016.
we discussed the complaints and filled in a incident report due to my wife been given food poisoning by the kitchen, due to the fact that there are incompetent..

I then asked for the Kitchen Matrix which I was not given, I was our ever given some information on the inspection from the AA

Now I would like to bring to your attention Mr Duncan the Hotel GM. The facts you failed to mention that from January 2018 you have a new chef and a New Menu, So the information alone contradicts your own words that you have Rosettes as you aware fully aware to gain Rosettes for food its works on 50/50 basis excellent food & excellent service which we never got and by the looks of it the hotel as seen hasn't seen for quite some time, What I think as happened here he like to state you started work two years ago when there had a good kitchen team and front of house but as the catering industry people to move on and the hotel food and service as declined since 2016, I will be report the issue to AA as the Hotel is miss leading customers and as you can clearly see from all your discounted offers on breaks in the lakes google, the hotel is suffering.

Summing up our stay at your hotel.

I would have had a better say in a Travelodge. the room was filthy the shower was far to hot and you can see from the photo's I have uploaded. The Food his poor for the location. The service poor and staff not trained. So bad management again.

I would like a Full Refund from the Management / Owners as I just feel ripped off...

Would I return No...

Would I recommend No....

Room Tip: Save your money go else where...
  • Stayed: February 2018, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Neil C
Reviewed 12 February 2018 via mobile

My boyfriend purchased me a night at the rybeck for my christmas present. We had an amazing time. Room was lovely and the view of the lake was beautiful. The corner bath was great for relaxing. The food in the restaurant was beautiful and the breakfast was perfect. Would definition stay here again and would greatly recommend.

4  Thank Rachel B
Reviewed 8 February 2018 via mobile

Stayed for 3 nights at the beginning of January. The room was very nice with a great view of the lake (room 21), the bathroom was a bit small but adequate with lovely toiletries provided. It was kept very clean and the tea/coffee was refilled daily. There is no safe in the room which I was surprised at and this meant that you couldn't leave your valuables in it.

The breakfast was great and we also had the Chateaubriand one evening which was superb.

All the staff were very helpful and friendly, especially the young man in the restaurant who remembered our name which was a nice touch. I don't know his name but I think he may have been French.

A great stay and we will return.

Stayed: January 2018, travelled as a couple