“Lovely atmosphere, warm service”
Review of Linthwaite House

Linthwaite House
Price range: US$47 - US$60
Cuisines: European, British
Good for: Romantic, Special Occasion Dining, Business meetings, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Description: Linthwaite House Hotel restaurant overlooking Lake Windermere in the sublime Lake District is a very special place indeed. With views that would have thrilled Wordsworth, Linthwaite House Hotel has chosen luxurious, tasteful interiors to please even the most jaded urbanite and the kitchen, under chef Simon Bolsover, is daring and modern too. Fresh, local ingredients conspire in a signature dish like 60 Degree Herdwick Lamb with braised neck kataifi, cep and kidney risotto. Choose from light lunch menu on the terrace, daily changing table d’hote menu or simpler a la carte in the elegant dining room, with its vast mirror collection, in the evenings, vegetarian menu, or trad Sunday lunch, all accompanied by a blistering global wine list.
Reviewed 26 October 2016 via mobile

The staff were wonderful, they greeted us by name (we were the last reservation to arrive) and got us settled in the sitting room with drinks within minutes of arrival. We had a good 20 minutes to enjoy our drinks and peruse the menu, while enjoy an amuse-bouche, and then they took our order, and brought us through to the dining room.

The wine menu includes a good selection of wines by the glass, as well as the half bottle/carafe. Since we had the car, we couldn't take advantage of the wine pairing, but were able to get a very nice half bottle of Bordeaux.

The meal itself was excellent, soup, then starter, mains and finally dessert, and lasted about 2hours. The portions were suitable small to allow us to enjoy all four courses without feeling overly full.

We really enjoyed it, I'd love to come back during the long summer nights in late June, and spend the night so we can enjoy a wine pairing with a tasting menu!

I've included a couple of photos: the mushroom soup, tiramisu, and baked apple and custard.

Reviewed 8 October 2016

Had afternoon tea there today
Sat in the conservatory very nice but tables a little on the small size for teapots, water jugs etc as well as the cake stand but we managed ok.
Fresh tea brought with fresh cups and saucers
Food very nice and we enjoyed it but nothing out the ordinary.

Reviewed 2 October 2016

We are staying for two weeks in Bowness, in the English Lake District. For the first week, the weather has been awful - dark clouds and heavy rain, relentlessly. Then, on Day 9, the clouds parted and we had the most beautiful sunny day with blue skies and the odd fluffy cloud. We had booked for Sunday Lunch here because the forecast was good, and we had read they had a nice terrace garden with nice views overlooking the lake.
We decided to arrive early and enjoyed a wine spritzer whilst we perused the menu.
£29.95 for a 3-course Sunday Lunch is not cheap, but not a lot more than average prices for the area.
The gardens are beautiful, and the view sublime. We sipped our spritzer and enjoyed the creamy, salmony, appetizer until the waiter collected us and our drinks and led us to our table.
I had the Rabbit Terrine to start. I've never tasted a better terrine. It was so moist, and the blend of flavours was exquisite. My wife, who always has a problem with starters, had a fruit plate with melon and fresh berries, which was prepared specially for her, and she declared to be unbelievable.
For the main course, I had Turbot. I have always loved Turbot, but you seldom ever see it these days. I'm sorry, I'm running out of superlatives, so I'm going to have to start repeating myself. It was just sublime, served with mussels in a delicate cream sauce with several roasted vegetables and stuff that I didn't recognise.
My wife is a connoisseur of roast beef, but she declared hers to be cooked to perfection, as were the vegetables. I asked how the chef managed to get his Yorkshire Pudding to rise in such a spectacular fashion - apparently, the shape of the dish helps.
The wine wasn't exactly cheap, but I can heartily recommend the Argentinian Malbec. Malbec starts with a lot of tannins, but this had been aged beautifully to be wonderfully smooth with a complex taste.
I couldn't resist the Cheese Board for pudding. Five excellent cheeses with a great description of each. I like strong cheese, so I particularly enjoyed the Lancashire Bomb, the Swaledale Blue and the smokey one, from a place which I forget.
Since I had been put in such a good mood by the success of the meal so far, I thought I'd have a glass of port to go with it. Our waiter, Alyn, (Hope that's how it's spelt - He's from Romania) was a font of information on the Ports available, as he had been on pretty much everything else. He was great.
My wife, Yvonne, - Desserts are her specialty - chose an Amalfi lemon dish, and was totally captivated with the different tastes and textures of the various components.
We were so enamoured of the whole thing, that we chose to have coffee in the lounge as well, so we could tell the restaurant manager how much we'd enjoyed it.
On another day, I would have baulked at the cost of the coffee, but it was excellent.
The total cost, including all the frivolous extras was a smidgen over £100, but it was worth every penny.
For such fine dining, this was great value, and we could have had just the 3-course meal for £60 which, for the quality, is amazing.
We're coming here again - every time we visit the Lakes.
Can't remember the last time we had such a wonderful meal!!

1  Thank GRWright
Reviewed 29 September 2016

We were gifted a champagne afternoon tea and chose this location it being en route to our holiday home. We were offered a table in the conservatory which gave extensive views of Windermere in the distance. After enjoying a glass of bubbly, sandwiches and a savoury option were served, followed by a selection of cakes and tea. Both the food and service were excellent and the cakes we couldn't devour, were boxed up for us to take, for consumption later! An extremely pleasing experience.

Reviewed 26 August 2016

This is my third visit to Linthwaite House Hotel. As usual the meal was outstanding. Canapes are served before the meal, then a nice cup of soup followed by Duck with all the trimmings. To finish I had the chocolate ball with orange sauce. There was no room left for a cup of coffee.