See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 25 May 2012

My friend and I arrived to a warm, friendly greeting and the apartment looked clean and tidy. Unfortunately I wish the same could have been said for the mattress's, They must have been in excess of 30 years old and my friend, who was also staying said the only time he has experienced mattress's to that standard was off the beaten track in Vietnam, The one on the double bed was heavily stained and the padding had completely worn away leaving bare springs. The bunk mattress's were the old thick plastic ones which are not manufactured now. The shower was luke warm and the internet access as advertised did not reach the apartment.
I did not think to check the mattress's when we arrived and if I had I would not have even stayed the one night. After a sleepless night I told the owner that we were going to check into a hotel as I could not sleep on the mattress or my friend on the futon and wanted a refund. She accused me of stealing a tea towel and after much ranting and making excuses only offered to refund half of the rent, so it was an extremely expensive and uncomfortable night. For the owner it was just about the money and she kept me waiting two days before she would discuss it with me. She had absolutely no concern for customer satisfaction or the fact that it was her responsibility to make sure that the apartment was fit for purpose for our arrival. Instead she just made excuses for all of the problems and said she could provide a mattress topper. Needless to say, what should have been a relaxing break was ruined by the state of the beds and the fact that I came home with an unexplained rash on my back. I would not recommend Guy's Cliffe to anyone. J.B. W. Yorkshire.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with friends
16  Thank Jeanette B
OceanQueen5, Owner at Guy's Cliffe Holiday Apartments, responded to this reviewResponded 25 March 2013

Jeanette B and guest arrived to us Friday afternoon, and seemed to be very happy with the apartment. We were not approached until after 6 pm on the Saturday night with any complaints, even though we had spoken to them in passing on several occasions during the daytime, and they had ample prior opportunity to let us know of any problems.

Unfortunately we had a prior social engagement (which takes place just once a year), so were just going out and not returning until late on the Sunday night. I had let Jeanette B know on their arrival on Friday that we would be away from teatime on Saturday for the night but that my daughter and son-in-law would be looking after things while we were absent.

On receiving the initial complaint (which was about the shower), this was straight away looked in to. On inspection of the shower the problem appeared to be that the electricity on the meter had run out, and was fully operational when the electricity supply was reinstated.

A further complaint was then made about the double futon bed settee not being very comfortable and at that point a thicker feather mattress topper was offered. As further complaints were then made about the double bed being uncomfortable and the WiFi not reaching to the second floor, and the customers did not seem happy with the apartment, we then offered them a larger apartment on the first floor but this was also refused.

At this point we were told that they had already decided to move out to stay at the home of a family member who was away and the house was vacant. They had brought a further family member with them, whom they had come to visit and who lived locally. As it was getting quite late and they had already made up their minds to move out beforehand, It was then agreed that we would discuss the problems on our return when we had had a chance to investigate. As we were away for the next day, a later appointment was made for the following day, and all 3 returned for the later interview. No mention was made of them having moved out to a hotel either Saturday night or Monday.

Mattresses are purchased from our local hotel contract bed supplier to British Standards (BS) 7177. They are subject to a regular maintenance programme of both vacuuming and steam cleaning, with regular replacement as required. All mattresses are covered with both a mattress protector and then a topper (which was not mentioned in the review by JB). On the smaller children size bunks, which are in 2 of our apartments, the bottom mattress protector is a thicker plastic one as sometimes the younger children do have accidents and this then gives the mattresses that extra protection that is required. We do not have any beds that have plastic mattresses (although I do believe that these can be purchased to British Standards BS7177 2008). All bedding used on all beds is freshly laundered using a hot wash and then steam pressed before use. Yearly regulatory inspections are made to the property.

The WiFi internet was a new more advanced and powerful system that had been installed that week. I did explain to Jeanette B and friend on their arrival that we had had some teething problems, but that we would reboot the system if they could not gain access. As no complaint was made until the customers were leaving we were not able to investigate this problem further for them. The system settled down and has been working well since that time.

All of our apartments are equipped with a tea towel, j cloth, washing up brush and pan scourer on arrival. The missing tea towel was mentioned at our final interview (in passing) as not being in the apartment when it was cleaned and inspected, and a request was made for it to be returned if it should be found. No accusation was made of it “having been stolen”, sometimes items are packed away by mistake and are returned either by post or when a guest returns at a later date.

The apartments are thoroughly cleaned and set up before our guests arrive, and we endeavour to make it comfortable and relaxing during their stay. We had not had any complaints regarding any of these problems from customers prior to this, and have not received any since.

We do have customers who suffer from allergies and make special provision during the cleaning and preparation of the apartments, including special arrangements for bed linen. These customers do return to us each year because of our attention to detail.

Although Jeanette B was unhappy with our facilities, we did try to address all the complaints made to us, and a refund was given as agreed by both parties. The review that has been left by her is not a fair review of either the situation as it was or the facilities that were provided to her.