“A classy hotel & restaurant in stunning surroundings”
Review of Kinloch House

Kinloch House
Ranked #3 of 6 Hotels in Blairgowrie
Reviewed 8 August 2017 via mobile

The attentive & charming hotel staff know my friend as she has been coming to the restaurant for years, so we received a very warm welcome. We were the only diners in the restaurant until towards the end of our meal, so service couldn't have been more attentive. We selected our 3 courses from a menu that had a choice of 3 options for each course. The food was delicious & beautifully presented. It's pretty obvious that this is an upmarket venue & I'm sure the prices reflect it (I didn't see the bill). The decor in the hotel is very elegant & interesting. At the same time it looks comfortable. As we made our way up the drive to the entrance, we drove past some 'wee hairy coos' - very Scottish! This would be an amazing place to dine or stay for a special occasion.

Stayed: August 2017, travelled with friends

Reviewed 19 July 2017

Kinloch House is the Platonic ideal of a Scottish country house hotel. Terrific in every way. Beautiful inside and out (great walled garden), superb service, great comfort throughout, good dinner and breakfast. What more is there to say?

• Stayed: July 2017, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Relais & Chateaux
Reviewed 10 July 2017 via mobile

The hotel is old fashioned but none the worse for that I suppose. However the decorations are very 1980's and could do with some upgrading. We had several problems:
Our large room with a lovely view was all we wanted. However on the first night my husband ended up using the cushions from the sofas to sleep on the floor as the mattresses was so soft and on a spring base that had seen better times. When we complained the next morning we were offered a board for the bed which definitely helped but an older lady at the reception came out and basically told us that other people love the beds and that it was our fault. I have been married to my husband for 37 years and we travel extensively in the world and it was definitely one of the most ghastly uncomfortable beds I have ever slept in and unworthy of Relais and Chateaux!
The second problem was the bathroom... carpeted ( unhygienic) and lacking a shower, so we had to run a bath and sit in it and use the hand shower. The hot and cold on the hand shower was very difficult to regulate and water went all over the floor ( no glass partition) Also the basin was very low as was the toilet. The bathroom needed serious renovation which the manager told me was upcoming.
My most serious beef however was with the food. The cooking was very good in the hearty Scottish mould but no vegetarian or lighter options were provided. When I spoke to one of the chefs who was manning the front desk on our departure he told me they are " not interested " in vegetarians or cooking with vegetables. When I persisted by saying that the set menu had no vegetarian options ( and that is why in the second night we did not eat at the hotel) and that vegetable options are now mainstream in most hotels and restaurants around the world he became very aggressive and repeated over and over again "we are not interested ok? Thank you" in such a rude manner I thought he might give me a right hook! Very strange reaction and DEFINITELY not worthy of the Relais and Chateau marque.
However other staff who came from all around the world were very helpful notably those in the dining room.
My overall impression was of owners/ managers who do things their way and are not open to any suggestions as to improvements.Sadly I won't be recommending this place.

Stayed: July 2017, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Caryl R
Reviewed 17 June 2017 via mobile

My boyfriend and I booked a suite for the night here after hearing good reports. Have to say it was all we hoped it would be. The suite wasn't particularly modern but very in keeping with the country house look. The bed was extremely comfortable. The suite was a good size and a lovely big bath to relax in. We ate in for dinner. Delightful menu and perfectly cooked food. Service was fantastic. We needed to be out early the next morning and staff were happy to serve us before the restaurant officially opened.
We enjoyed it so much we have re booked for 2 nights in a couple of weeks. Looking forward to it

Stayed: May 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Sue H
Reviewed 29 May 2017

the hotel is situated in pretty and tranquil farmland. Staff very friendly and helpful, many from other European countries who spoke really good English. Cuisine of a high standard but feel the choice could have been more varied. Walled garden most peaceful with good views of nearby loch. Access to the lochside could have been signed posted. Ideas for other local walks could have been advertised at reception. Room we stayed up in well equipped except for tea and coffee making facilities.

Room Tip: Tea and coffee making facilities old add to the quality offered.