All reviews harbour view four poster free upgrade tea and coffee out of season stayed one night twin room quay dog seagulls devon
Reviewed 26 September 2018 via mobile

We just visited this hotel with a groupon deal for 2 nights ,after booking read some bad reviews and was a bit worried however the room was nice and clean very comfy bed and powerful shower. Had full English breakfast with unlimited toast and cereal and had the jungle curry with free glass of wine was very nice,would definitely stay again.

Stayed: September 2018, travelled as a couple
2  Thank markbryan33
Reviewed 25 September 2018 via mobile

Wi-fi is terrible...waited 20 mins to order breakfast which my company had paid for ended up going to a nearby cafe as all I heard of the guy was...ooooh it's getting crowded...everyone's come down at once...AYE MATE BREAKFAST TIME YOU WEAPON...employ an extra staff member at busy times SHAMBLES...I was also on night shift so don't really need delays in getting my breakfast...woulndnt come back if I was paid

Stayed: September 2018, travelled on business
Reviewed 30 August 2018 via mobile

Worst hotel I've ever stayed in. Room tiny no en suite no wardrobe paint chipped and cracked window repaired with a peice of wood only thing good about it was the bed was comfy. The hotel needs a complete overhaul

Stayed: August 2018, travelled with family
4  Thank jls838690
Reviewed 28 August 2018 via mobile

Visited on a few occasions last week on a family holiday. Very friendly staff and good value for money. Certain areas are dog friendly which is good in a seaside resort. Sunday carvers is one of the best I’ve ever tasted.

Stayed: August 2018, travelled with family
Reviewed 23 August 2018

My family of four stayed at the Royal after having spent a very pleasant overnight stay two years ago. Generally, my travel reviews on Tripadvisor are very positive, so it is with regret that my review for my second stay at this bed and breakfast is negative.

We were very excited to stay at the hotel to break up our journey from Birmingham to Cornwall. After four hours of motorway jams, we arrived at the Royal, weary!

When we checked in we were told that our family room was in fact a twin room. I was rather puzzled as we are a family of four! The receptionist showed me their Booking.com receipt which stated that the booking was for a twin room and two people.

However, my Booking.com receipt (attached) clearly showed a booking for four people. It seems that when I typed in my requirements for four people, Booking.com took me to all available rooms at the hotel. Should it be that the navigation automatically does this? It then adds that children can sleep in existing beds – this may be fine for toddlers, but my search stated my children’s ages, 12! This is incredibly misleading when the room is clearly not suitable.

The receptionist was insistent that I had made a booking for two (despite my Booking.com receipt clearly stating the party was four people). He kept dismissing this, talking over me and generally doing little to solve the situation in front of my children.

He kept repeating that two people were on his receipt. Yet four were on mine – why would a family of four book for two?

We all agreed that Booking.com had made a mistake regarding the party side, but the condescending response from the Royal was unnecessary, when he stated that Booking.com covers thousands of hotels (I know, I have had dozens of successful bookings over a decade or so!) distancing the b&b and refusing to accept what my booking said.

The receptionist said the mistake was “nothing to do with them.” But surely a hotel bases its reputation on customer experience and would at least look into this?
The hotel was full and we were too tired to drive several more hours to our final destination with no other accommodation booked until the following day.
We agreed to sleep in the twin room. My two 12-year-old sons would share a single bed; I would sleep in the other single bed and my husband on the floor. We asked if the hotel had any spare bedding to accommodate this.

The hotel provided a mattress. However, as you will see from the photograph it was worn and heavily stained with what appears to be excrement/blood. We put the mattress on the landing as it was so disgusting, after letting a member of staff know, but it remained blocking the landing all night.

As you can imagine, we had a terrible night’s sleep, leaving us tired for our journey the next day. It ruined the start of our holiday.

Before posting this review I contacted the hotel to raise my concerns. Although my communication was addressed to the manager, it was picked up by the same attendant who once again insisted that this was not the hotel’s problem.

I also raised my issues with Booking.com, who said it did not have time to call me, but stated in an email that a twin bed was booked. It never answered the question as to why my booking receipt states a booking for four, yet the hotel’s states a booking for two. Perhaps if the hotel had realised four people were coming we may have been able to do something about this.

I do believe the situation could have been handled more thoughtfully. I appreciate the Royal’s position, but to dismiss a customer like that was not the hospitality I expected. I found the young male attendant sexist and ageist. There was an inference that there was no problem for people pushing 50 to just bunk down on the floor. Tell that to my sciatica!

I am disappointed by this attitude and have never had the opportunity to speak to the manager, either at the time or via email, which was also answered by the attendant.

• Stayed: August 2018, travelled with family