“1st ever cream tea - loved it”

Tyme Restaurant at Trimstone Manor
Reserve with OpenTable
Tyme Restaurant at Trimstone Manor is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #64 of 122 Restaurants in Ilfracombe
Price range: US$10 - US$48
Cuisines: American, French, Contemporary
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 5 May 2017 via mobile

Just out for a random drive saw a sign for cream teas just popped in and nothing was too much trouble. Scones were great and a very reasonable price. I think the selling point for the Manor is Sue she is still relatively new but you would think she had been there for years! She took time to show us around we saw the baby ostrich, then into the swimming pool where the big water wheel still remains and is a feature of the building. The Manor has so many different types of rooms and you can even stay with dogs. Sue showed us the doggy friendly rooms and then a lovely room in the main building. It was lovely to look around and afforded so much time! In the summer it will be different again the gardens with the peacocks are beautiful. We will definitely be visiting again but next time we will be staying for a couple of days and that's all down to Sue. The owners of the Manor need to know just what an absolute star Sue is xx

Reviewed 10 April 2017

We came here for a celebration meal and wanted to go somewhere a little different to a traditional pub or bistro, plus this place was only a short distance from where we staying on holiday.

The manor is a lovely place, set in beautiful grounds. The manor is very traditional, which was very relaxing.

When we first arrived, we sat in the bar/lounge area while we waited for our food which was cooked and served in a timely manner. The food was of good quality and we very enjoyable.

What we appreciated, was a follow up phone call earlier in the day checking that we were still coming and do we have any dietary requirements, which shows attention to detail.

They also have an excellent selection of wines.

The lady who served us and cooked the food, was very friendly and helpful and at the end of the evening provided us with a selection of taxi numbers.

QualityControlNDevon, Owner at Tyme Restaurant at Trimstone Manor, responded to this reviewResponded 17 April 2017

Dear Guests Thank yo very much for taking the time to post a review. We really appreciate that and are so pleased that you had a good time with us - we enjoyed having you for dinner! Do come again - thank you once more for taking the time to leave your comments.

Reviewed 2 October 2016

Last night my family and I went to the Tyme Restaurant at Trimstone Manor for my birthday. We booked a table for four. Arrived a little early, found a space in the back car park and admired the beautiful garden around the property. We were greeted by Joe in the Reception area. She was courteous and friendly. We sat in a lovely and comfortable living room full of interesting local features and had a drink before dinner. We felt completely at ease. We then moved on to the Dining area. The menu offered choices, the products were local and fresh. The round table we sat at was by the window and we had ample space to sit and chat. Debbie helped us with the menu and the wine. Our son is not easy to please but Debbie cooked him a beautiful steak and some fries that he enjoyed very much. She was very professional and we all had a pleasant little chat with her too. Overall, we all loved it. You both made my birthday very special. Thank you for the experience. We will come back again.

1  Thank brambleway
Reviewed 30 September 2016

Average meal, not worthy of £30 per head. Shame as the surroundings are lovely. If you stay, probably best not to dine in - there was only 1 other couple there when we went and they did tell us that the chef had left!

2  Thank scoutstig
Reviewed 18 September 2016

My husband and I were travelling on the a361 looking for somewhere nice to have lunch. We saw the incredibly detailed signs by the side of the road and although we were not able to pull over and read the complete and very long essay that was the advertising board we got the gist that it was a restaurant and cream tea gardens so turned with great excitement at the prospect of lunch in the countryside into the long windy road that led to this strange place. - Having now seen the other trip advisor reviews I now know realise we were stepping into the twilight zone ! just like in a horror film where the unsuspecting victims turn into the drive of the creepy house! Cue the creepy music!
We went in to the main entrance which struck me as a reception area of a 1970s budget hotel ( old carpets, dead things on the walls) but could not really see a restaurant, we wondered past an unmanned reception desk into a little bar area situated in a room that I could only describe as being like a deserted old peoples home.
We wondered around shouting 'hello' and finding nobody around decided to quit this place as it was obviously not the country restaurant we anticipated. We had barely reached the front door when a man came out of a side door . He was a strange looking character with an ill fitting suit and a large satchel. ( cue the 'jaws' music) He asked us if he could help us - we explained we were looking for the restaurant and he pointed to a door and said agitatedly its 'there' but what do you want - its not open. I expressed surprise as it was lunchtime and his reply was its closed because there are no customers today. I asked if perhaps then we could partake of the delicious cream tea as advertised at the road side and he said no you cant the chefs gone home. When I again expressed a little surprise he retort was thus - ' look, we are not open you cant have a cream tea if I havent got the staff in the kitchen obviously, I suggest if you want something to eat you go to Ifracombe where I am sure you will find lots of cheap cafes and tea rooms (and at this he did the inverted commas with his fingers) and a wetherspoons. If you want to have lunch here you have to book , now please can you move your car you are blocking the drive !
I realise in hindsight now having spoke to the locals in the pub that we had had a run-in with the infamous owner of this establishment and had been one of the lucky ones who managed to escape relatively unscathed and lived to tell the tale. One wonders why this man is in the hospitality industry in the first place ? The restaurant is in a lovely setting and could be such a nice venue if some money and thought and customer service were invested into it - but wouldnt have missed this experience for the world as we always have an amusing tale to tell at dinner parties.
I cannot imagine the diatribe of a response that will follow this review. But I will say I now know where the ideas for the characters in Royston Vaisey came from.What a waste of a lovely place and this sort of behaivour gives Devon a bad name. It is no surprise there were no customers there.

14  Thank flossy231062
QualityControlNDevon, Owner at Tyme Restaurant at Trimstone Manor, responded to this reviewResponded 27 September 2016

Dear Reviewer

You clearly have a high opinion of yourselves and your capabilities and yet cannot spell and have poor Grammar (let’s start with the title – ‘non’ has no ‘e’). Even when you try to insult, you cannot spell the name of the TV character to whom you try to refer. How embarrassing for you.

You think it is ‘funny’ to insult people and to lie in your ‘recollections’ to embellish the style of your comments – as seems to be the case for all of the comments you have left for establishments. You are a disgrace to the integrity of TripAdvisor and indeed TripAdvisor itself is a disgrace to allow such diatribe to be published and with a ‘terrible’ ranking.

I am struggling to remember your visit – it was so remarkable. I believe I popped-out only because I had seen a car parked carelessly right outside the front door and for some little time so no-one could pass and I wondered what was happening. Why use of the ‘carpark’ has escaped your imagination I am not quite sure but your selfish lack of general consideration might have something to do with it I suppose, as you feel you are so important.

The Road from the A361 can hardly be described as ‘long’. It is 1/3rd of a mile. It is a beautiful, country lane just as many other such roads in tranquil rural Devon are – what on earth are you doing straying from form flat in suburbia if that is not what you come to see? Still, if these lanes deter people like you, so much the better I have to say. The lane over which you travelled has been used by visitors and locals alike for well over 1000 years as they travel down to an historic, Domesday-mentioned property with fantastic vistas and setting – what ignorance you demonstrate about anything of quality and nature.

I can’t recall exactly what time you popped-in. I think it was mid-late-afternoon and I had to apologise to you that a Restaurant service was not available. In fact, our policy is pre-bookings for lunch (at lunch time too) of a minimum of eight guests to be sure. I was not rude to you. I did not ask you to move your car despite it blocking the drive. Have you been introduced to the telephone? The sign to which you refer notes ‘please ring to check availability’. Oh I forgot – you don’t read too well.

We are really appreciative that we do not have lower class rabble coming to our Hotel and home. We have antique furnishings, antique collections of local pottery and taxidermy birds and a pike for guests to enjoy (you’ll have to look that word up, I can tell!). Trouble is, your type wouldn’t be able to differentiate between a blackbird and a crow I suppose…

You say you could not find anyone. Reception has a very clear sign – ‘for attention ring both bells’. Clearly reading is not something in which you engage well. The staff have plenty of tasks to do all the time and cannot afford to be sitting at Reception all the time just waiting for delightful people like you to turn-up! You have even suggested I was wearing a suit – actually it was a jacket and trousers but again – your capacity for observation is somewhat lacking.

Based on the style of your comments I should indeed have directed you to ‘cheap cafes and tea rooms’ but actually I am very fond of Ilfracombe and frequent it much ourselves as there are some great eateries there so your quotation is as false as you are. I never refer to Weatherspoon’s (which has been good for Ilfracombe) and indeed have never been there myself, preferring to support the local family hostelries instead and certainly do not use trait ‘inverted commas’ as anyone who knows me will attest. Probably the reality is that I suggested you tried the local pub and I gave you directions – as you seem to suggest that is where you went. Wonder why I wasted my time helping you – couldn’t have been as rude as you portray after all – that’s odd.

You will be pleased to learn that we shall not be investing money in our lovely establishment if that was designed to attract the plastique likes of you to it – we shouldn’t want to subject our really lovely guests to the misfortune of having to endure you. So all you lovely, normal and nice people out there who appreciate homely, characterful comfortable surroundings and happy and personal service and fare, feel free to visit as you know you won’t meet these people nor their likes as we try hard to discourage them! We are certainly not desperate t=for their trade I can tell you and I don’t care how much money they may have - they are not welcome.

Meantime we shall continue to enjoy our ‘lovely setting’ and our ‘lovely place‘ and so too our many very satisfied guests, both regulars and casuals alike. You stick meantime to your transport caff and don’t inflict yourselves on nice establishments hosted by nice people, and stop wasting their valuable time. We want to enjoy the quality places in Devon hosted by genuine people and to share them with guests we want to see here.

Yours sincerely