“Fab-u-lous”

Cuisines: British
Good for: Business meetings, Special Occasion Dining, Romantic, Local cuisine
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed 9 July 2017 via mobile

La Gendarmerie continues to delight on our return to the area! A family business, that has been listed in the Michelin Guide for many years, provides consistently exceptional cuisine and attentive service - de même mesure à mon expérience en France.

My partner and I commend Mike and Sarah for their commitment and high standards to gastronomy. Thoroughly recommended and well worth a visit - so much so we went back twice during this holiday!!

1  Thank Cybernaut1

Reviewed 3 July 2017

Been here a few times and food is always outstanding. I don't agree with comments about small portions- it's about amazing ingredients put together in a way you sit an appreciate every mouthful. You don't here for quantity over quality. We certainly don't leave hungry anyway... Good wine choice. Service is seamless and professional. It's not cheap, but don't mind for a special occasion.
We will be back when we're next in ilfracombe.

1  Thank Katie1986406
Reviewed 25 June 2017 via mobile

I have an outside catering company so am pretty fussy when I eat out. However the food at la Gendarmerie was spot on. Seasoning perfectly balanced and presentation superb. Paul and Sarah are lovely people - I would thoroughly recommend this place!

2  Thank Caroline G
Reviewed 6 May 2017 via mobile

We love this restaurant. From the moment you walk in everything is just right. The atmosphere and ambience are perfect. The service is attentive and friendly, but unobtrusive. The food is second to none in Ilfracombe. Everything is cooked to perfection and beautifully presented. We cannot recommend this restaurant highly enough.

2  Thank KernowkidEngland
Reviewed 18 April 2017 via mobile

We have eaten here 5 times in past years.
Paul and Sarah will really treat you with their superb food.

It is quite simply miles better than anything else in Ilfracombe.
Not cheap by Ilfracombe standards around £60 per head including wine but the food here is brilliant. It is cooked perfectly and the quality of the beef or hake or lamb is top class.
Puddings are ALWAYS sublime here. So treat yourselves. Eat well and enjoy life. Food in this part of the World doesn't' get any better. Eat here. You will love it!

2  Thank Savagemushrooms
lagendar, Owner at La Gendarmerie, responded to this reviewResponded 18 April 2017

Thank you for your review, always a pleasure to see you guys, I'm hoping I got the right customers, but if I do remember you sure play a mean pinball and your the spitting image of billy joel ;)))))