“New restaurant”
Review of The Old Duke

The Old Duke
Ranked #200 of 387 Restaurants in Southport
Price range: US$8 - US$20
Description: The Old Duke is a Marston's pub operating a Grill & Pizza menu. Our steaks are chargrilled to perfection, and our pizza bases are hand stretched and stone baked with your favourite toppings! We are family friendly and have both an indoor and an outdoors play areas. We take bookings and walk-ins are always welcome.
Reviewed 4 February 2018 via mobile

It’s fairly new so hopefully when it’s been going longer it will improve on the small points hen more people are trained and more attention to detail. The food we had was ok nothing special steak with some toppings in etc was a nice steak service ok but slow at times. The refillable drinks are expensive if you only normally drink one drink and don’t refill them so a bit of a money making scheme going on here for the company. Some nice staff. I will be back to try it again as it has so much potential.

OldDukeSouthport, Manager at The Old Duke, responded to this reviewResponded 6 February 2018

Hi Mandy,

Thank you for your feedback. We appreciate your comments and use them to help us improve our service.
We do offer refillable Pepsi, Diet Pepsi and Lemonade for an additional 85p. If you are only likely to have the one drink then I would recommend being a regular one (you can always ask to upgrade to a refillable if you decide to have another one).

We look forward to seeing you back again soon.

Reviewed 3 February 2018

This is the second review I'm leaving on here and yet again its not the most positive of reviews.

Visited last weekend with friends that were visiting and there was a group of 6 of us. Arrived around 6pm to an very uninterested looking manager and when asked if there was any chance of a table, we were turned away. As we were stood there, one of our group saw that there were no bookings due in so we took this as a positive. We saw a large round table in the middle of the restaurant that had just been vacated and assumed they would sit us here. Nope! They told us there was no room and that we'd have to leave. We weren't even offered the option of sitting on two separate tables or waiting to see if anything became available. In the past we have rang ahead and tried to book tables and are always told that they cannot do that but then on arrival they always ask if you have booked?!?

Just disappointed again at the level of service and after having a couple of disappointing visits, we will not be returning again.

1  Thank Dr1zz

Hi,

Thank you for your feedback. I am sorry to hear you didn't enjoy your experience with us.
We do like to encourage bookings, however on busy nights when we have reached our booking capacity then we cannot always take more bookings. This seems to have been the case on your visit, and we apologise that we couldn't accommodate you..

We hope to see you again soon, and if you would like to book then please call us on 01704 322180.

Reviewed 2 February 2018 via mobile

Been open a couple of months so feel the dust has probably settled and the new novelty has worn off. We rarely go for a pub tea but I’m glad we did tonight. Superb choice of food all at good prices. We had nachos to share then ribs and a pizza. All really nice, obviously not restaurant quality but then it’s not Restaurant prices. Service was excellent and decor very good and contemporary . There is a children’s area and a little safe enclosed playground to front. Will I return ? Oh yes .

1  Thank ElleBee14

Hi,

Thank you for your lovely review. I am really pleased to hear you enjoyed your visit with us.
I agree there is a great choice on the menu, we like to hope we have something for everyone at a reasonable price!

We look forward to seeing you again soon.

Thanks!

Reviewed 1 February 2018

I went with my partner as we knew there were some vegan options on the menu to check it out.
We ordered two vegan options and after started I had a bite of my pizza and realised that it had meat on it! Absolutely shocking - after telling waitress we received no apology also the replacement pizza arrived with no rocket on it (but it should according to the menu) Also we got garlic mayo with both meaty and vegan pizza and never been asked if we need one at all (having ordered vegan meals). Not coming back.
If you do not care about vegetarians and vegans do not put options in your menu.

1  Thank Cyn M

Hi,

Thank you for your feedback. I am sorry to hear that you were not happy with the food on your visit with us.
I would like to reassure you that we care greatly about all of our customers and any special requirement they have. I can only apologise for the mistake with your pizza, and we will look into this to ensure our team fully understand the importance of these requirements.

We hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed 1 February 2018 via mobile

Visited the old duke on a Sunday about 2 o’clock in the afternoon. We sat towards the back of the restaurant as it was quiet in that part of the restaurant. Nobody came to take our order to we went up to the bar and were told it was table service. We got our food promptly but we waited 20 minutes after we had finished our meal until someone came and took our plates and then waited 30 minutes trying to pay and in the end went up to the bar to pay. I think because we were at the back of the restaurant the waiters weren’t checking that area as much as the other areas.
The menu looked good but I think the menu is more suited to the evening as they seem to be big dishes. However we shared a starter share platter and put a side and another starter together to make a light lunch. Would go again but probably want to go in the evening.

Hi Lauren,

Thank you for your feedback. I am sorry to hear about the delays you had in being served. We appreciate all comments as these help us to improve the service we give.

We would love to have you back one evening, Wednesdays we offer a pizza and free drinks from 5pm, Thursdays we offer a grill and free drink from 5pm!

We look forward to seeing you again soon!