“Christmas do”

White Swan
Ranked #24 of 68 Restaurants in Pickering
Price range: US$0 - US$74
Cuisines: British
Good for: Business meetings, Child-friendly, Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining, Romantic
Dining options: After-hours, Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: The kitchen at the White Swan is focused on doing very little to excellent local ingredients with very rarely more than three flavours on a plate. We make just about everything from scratch in cluding the ketchup and we charge more for it than we would need to if everything came out of a freezer via a microwave.If you are looking for prissy and plastic fine dining then don't expect that here. If you are looking for mountains of cheap food and you don't care where it came from then there are better places to get it.However if you love proper food then I also promise you service from people who are genuinely pleased to be working in our lovely Inn. The AA deems our food good enough for 2 rosettes - and that is without a single smear, smudge or froth in sight. At the other end of the scale, we don't do wrapped butter portions or packets of sauce either (or piped musak). If you want real food in a relaxed experience with great service and a happy atmosphere then come on down. If you want something else - then don't say I didn't warn you.Victor Buchanan - Owner
Reviewed 21 November 2017 via mobile

We went here as part of a Christmas do. It's a lovely rustic country pub with a warm inviting feel. The food is top-notch and reasonably priced. The function room is something special and the service is fantastic.

1  Thank James H
Anna S, Marketing at White Swan, responded to this reviewResponded 23 November 2017

Really pleased you enjoyed it! Thank you for your kind comments. We look forward to welcoming you back. From The Team at The White Swan

Reviewed 18 November 2017

Called in recently for a drink with my wife & ordered a pint of bitter & a gin and tonic. Having been charged £8.05 for the same drinks at a pub 2 doors away which I thought was a big rip off, at the White Horse the same drinks were £10.50. I could not believe the price so I asked them to double check. No, it was right, then to add insult to injury, my bitter was off, so I asked for a new pint & they couldn't get me the same again, so I had to have something else.

Won't be returning.

1  Thank Frequenttaveller_9
Reviewed 15 November 2017 via mobile

Came for lunch while visiting Pickering. Great menu and service for food was fast. The only let down was they took ages to come with our bill (over 20 mins) after it being requested. Our car parking was running out and resulted us going to the bar to pay.

Reviewed 31 October 2017 via mobile

On arrival it was rather confusing, we walked up some stairs to be greeted by a rather disintrested (I presume) manager.

She told to sit down and we would be seen to. Her attitude towards the job was poor.

We was debating to eat and she told us we only had a few minutes to order, which is fine. What isn't fine is her attitude towards us regarding it.

I ordered a pint of Stella which I thought smelt funny and so did my partner. To what I can only describe to be eggy/metallic taste which as a business owner my self, gives good Indication the lines are not clean. Fair enough they changed my pint to Becks and you guessed it. Same thing.. I was close to feeling sick.

I do have to give some amount of credit to the young waitress who was lovely and the most helpful out of everyone.

All in All, service was very poor and reading other reviews I would seriously advise the owner sorting it.

Such a shame as it looked promising from the outside.

@MrFoodyLover

4  Thank MrFoodyLover94
Reviewed 31 October 2017 via mobile

We were staying in Pickering for a few days, we were eating out and early for our booking, so dropped it to the hotel bar for a quick pre meal drink. The front bar was quite full, it's small and very comfortable, but no staff, we waited for a few minutes then I went off to find staff, it looked as if there was a problem as the bar man who eventually served us was also serving food in the restaurant. Not his fault, a lovely guy. We enjoyed a very nice, though we thought expensive drink nearly 10.00 pounds for a pint of bitter and a small bacardi and coke! But we enjoyed the comfort, we might return....