“I'm torn here , some dishes excellent , but a some not, and a very noisy place”
Review of Sum Yung Guys

Sum Yung Guys
Price range: US$7 - US$38
Description: Sum Yung Guys is a modern Asian restaurant with a twist. Located in Sunshine Beach, Noosa. Serving lunch and dinner 7 days a week. The four owners have put their own personality into this restaurant in order to bring the Sunshine Coast something new and fresh! Whether you are after an afternoon snack and tap beer, or a group dinner in our beautiful courtyard. We can't wait to see you soon!
Reviewed 21 August 2017

We really wanted this to be excellent , as we'd been booked for weeks , with friends , and they'd been here previously for lunch and had a great time.

We did arrive later than the booking , and our table had been given to others , so we were inside this time , and it was very noisy. Place was already very busy by 6pm , a good sign generally.

The waitstaff were friendly , but one had to almost shout to be understood. Water was very prompt , other beverages orders taken , and menu's perused. We simply could not hear much of our waiters conversation about the menu , but as friends had been previously , knew the main deal.

Now , our table consisted of 2 very experienced Chef's , a Commercial cook and my wife , a very worldly experienced cook. We're a tough crowd to please by any standard , so if we thought it was good , it was most likely fabulous , and even if we did not approve , likely others might like it lots.

We ordered 2 serves of the Pork Skewers , the Swordfish, the Pork & Prawn Dumplings & the Beef Tartare to start.

The 2 cold starters arrived quite promptly , and that was good , as our table was small , followed by the 2 hot dishes. That made for an interesting amount of table management , but we coped.

The Swordfish was quite good , was wolfed down happily , the Beef Tartare was a quite spicy version and all enjoyed this variation.

The Pork skewers were slightly overcooked , were good , but not great. Flavour profile a little lacking , in our opinion. The Pork & Prawn dumplings were excellent , the accompanying sauce a perfect match , excellent depth.

We (as both couples) ordered the Beef Cheeks , a perennial favourite of mine , and many a Chef I know , slow cooked and nestled on a bed of noodles cooked like a Roesti , with Pickled Onions.

My wife and I also ordered a Roti , and a Som Tam salad , but both of these arrived after the Cheeks , did make the experience possibly less than fully excellent.

We all gave full marks to the Cheeks , a truly excellent rendition of Fusion cuisine , if we'd have had the space , would have had them for dessert !

The Roti , when it came , was excellent , a very good example of the famous bread.

The same could not be said for the Som Tam though , it came very late to the table , we'd all almost finished the Cheeks , but the first taste did not go down well. I've cooked often in Thailand , and this is a staple there used for many functions and is a simple , but often complex dish to get right.

The dish was overly vinigary , with barely any crunch and few additional ingredients. There was little evidence of Lime juice or Fish sauce and I could find no dried Shrimp.

That said , others may well have enjoyed it , but we did not.

We then chose some desserts , a Coconut Panna Cotta and the Banana pudding with a Rum caramel and Vanilla Gelato.

The Panna Cotta was very well recieved , and was excellent ,as was the Banana Pudding , initially , but after a mouthful of it's intense flavours , we thought it a touch too sweet , and a little on the large side. A good effort , maybe excellent with a little refinement.

Wait staff were very good , esp. given the difficult circumstance of the noisy environment, from that aspect everything was fairly smooth and professional.

So , what did we all think after returning home and dissecting the experience ?

Well , we'd all go back , that should tell you plenty , we'd probably stick to lunch though , less crowded and noisy , and we'd possible have some more in depth discussion with our waiter prior to ordering.

Overall , a very good experience , and one we'd recommend to anyone who loves Fusion food , it's a very good example , especially for the Sunny Coast.

1  Thank fred s

Reviewed 19 August 2017

Visited in August with family for evening meal - packed out restaurant (which is a good sign I think). From UK so wasn't really aware of SYG credentials so review isn't tainted by stardust! Overall this is definitely an interesting concept and the food generally doesn't disappoint so worth a visit - in fact it would be churlish to complain on the quality of the food. Some of the dishes were superb. My only question here would be on portion size - and here I'm trying to be succinct as SYG support a sharing philosophy and with 6 of us this gave great opportunity to try many dishes. Whilst we definitely didn't over-order (we tried I think 4small, 4 medium and 2 large - following waiter recommendation) I did feel that there just wasn't quite enough for 6 adult eaters. Equally I'd suggest this isn't a place for deserts which were limited (3 on menu - which we tried and they probably don't match the other food). The four star review therefore relates more to overall value for money rather than food quality nor indeed service (which was great, friendly etc.). It is at the mid to upper price range.

Reviewed 19 August 2017

This place embodies everything we like about dining out: great food, a varied menu and fun drinks list, cool vibe, friendly staff, awesome location. This restaurant has it all.
We (2 couples) had to book a week in advance – it is very popular – and managed to reserve a table for 4 on a Sunday evening at 8 pm. This turned out to be the perfect time slot as we could stay until closing around 10 pm. In the 2 hours we managed to munch our way through entrees – pork skewers, dumplings, fish and the ever-so-delicious roti – then proceeded to mains. We all chose different dishes and no-one was disappointed.
I had the beef cheeks which was a fantastic package full of succulent meat and well balanced flavours. Others around the table had the bugs, the fish curry and the duck and everyone was super impressed with their dishes. For dessert I had the choc mousse which looked and tasted spectacular. We were all so full after eating and drinking our way through the menu that were was no room for coffee after. The boys reckon the local ale was the best beer ever!
We would love to come here more frequently but as we live in Canberra that’s not going to happen very often – sigh.

1  Thank CanTravel6611
Reviewed 19 August 2017

We went for lunch, The Salmon , the mushrooms and the Tom Kha Mussels in a fragrant coconut broth was so good. The S.Y.G Pina Colada was so good too. Would highly recommend . Was also a pleasure to meet Matt Sinclair. He was my favourite in Masterchef 2016.

1  Thank stephf1955
Reviewed 19 August 2017 via mobile

Visited SYG on a regular Tuesday night and thank goodness we had made a booking as they were completely booked out for that evening (well done guys!).
The menu is broken up into: small, medium, large and side plates, with a small dessert menu also available. Thankfully not too many options in each section as we had a tough time deciding as it was!
For the small plate we went for pork and prawn dumplings ($11) which were absolutely delicious.
Medium plate of fried rice with crispy shrimp ($18).. I am not a fried rice fan normally, but I could have eaten two plates of this, an absolute winner for me!
Confit duck red curry with eggplant for the larger plate ($34), delicious. Probably more of a subtle red curry flavour than I am used to, and I would have enjoyed a slightly large serving, but great nonetheless.
Recently back from south east Asia I had to try their take on the morning glory ($11) and it was definitely worth it, flavours on point!
Unfortunately we were too full for dessert but the offerings looked fantastic.
We also tried two wines from the Yarra as the winemaker was on hand that night. But otherwise would have picked any of their cocktails!!
Funky fit out, very attentive staff and great atmosphere.
Book ahead and go enjoy, we'll be heading back soon!

1  Thank Alannah T