“A Disappointing Foray into Spanish Food”
Review of El Barral

El Barral
Ranked #34 of 148 Restaurants in Envigado
Cuisines: Spanish
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 12 July 2017

Passing by El Barral one afternoon I noticed a sign outside announcing 'flamenco night tonight'. This had some appeal so I went in and asked for a reservation for 1 (I was staying in Envigado by myself). I was told that there were no available tables but that I could sit in the bar. This was fine by me. Later, when I returned for dinner, I took my seat at a high table and chair from which I could peer into the main dining room and possibly catch some of the flamenco show. The other restaurant guests, a lively, well-dressed crowd, streamed in. The menu mainly offered various versions of paella. I ordered a classic paella Valenciana and a glass of white wine. I sipped my wine, guests continued to come in, greet one another and socialize. My paella arrived. It was just okay: dry-ish chunks of chicken; pieces of bone attached to mystery meat; rather oily rice. There was no 'socarrat', the crunchy rice that lines the bottom of the pan when a paella is properly made (it's really the best part of a paella). So, the meal was disappointing. I ate, waiting for the show to begin. Alas, there were no tell-tale signs that it was going to and, ultimately, it never did, as long as I was there. Finally, I simply gave up, finished my wine, paid the cuenta and left. I wish anybody who wants to try El Barral better luck than I had.

1  Thank Madmonk_13

Reviewed 1 March 2017

If you fancy Spanish Food, you go to Barcal Restaurant. It is delicious!! The Paella is in the perfect moisture point and the Black Rice or Rice with Squid in its Ink is just amazing. Also ask for the shrimp with garlic.....wow!!!

1  Thank Amuribes
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 6 January 2017 via mobile

Overpriced, and a Spaniard chef never got near their kitchen.
The octopus was rubbery, the tortilla was dry, and the mashed potatoes accompanying my dish were served in a tiny desert plate, as though they were a precious exotic concoction.
The wine list is like everything else, mediocre and overpriced.
Don't take friends from Spain there.

Reviewed 26 July 2016

I love this restaurant, the service is very good, food is amazing, specially the black paella, good selection of wine, somehow expensive, worth the visit

Reviewed 28 June 2016 via mobile

The food was nice - not excellent - and it has a very good service. The restaurant is very warm and offers a nice environment, although there is a lot of echo if you are going with a big group.

Maybe the food could be a little better for the price, since we had a "family size" paella, in which the flavor was ok but you might take into account that there was plenty of seafood in it!