Nithsdale Hotel(Sanquhar)
Free cancellation until 03/08
US$49
Savings alert! 17% below average rates

The price you found is 17% lower than this hotel's average rate of US$59/night.

Free cancellation until 04/08
Agoda.com
Free cancellation until 29/07
US$119
Savings alert! 13% below average rates

The price you found is 13% lower than this hotel's average rate of US$137/night.

US$79
US$76
Free cancellation until 02/08
US$109
  • Breakfast included
All reviewsfine diningian mcandrewpartridgesorbetpennefudgefantastic foodamuse bouchewine listbanks of the riverlocation is lovelythe table d'hote menucountry housecheeseboardcombination of flavoursjacuzzi bathsouthern upland way
Reviewed 13 October 2017 via mobile

Absolutely appalling! Yes the hotel it's self looks lovely . We booked a cottage for a weekend . Says it's pet friendly? Maybe if the pet is a gold fish?! The photographs on the website do not depict the true picture at all! The garden was very small and was wide open to a
road which leads to the main road which is not dog friendly at all! I told the woman Jane my concerns to which she said can't you just chain them up (charming) and then she started verbally abusing me shouting and swearing she didn't care what the pictures showed (funny that you would think you would want the pictures to show a true representation) demanding I leave the hotel. And proceeded to then call the Police informing them
She had an irate customer refusing to leave . She then proceeded to push me out the door shouting at me and then my partner before locking the door.
The woman had no people skills at all and I would definitely not recommend any one to stay there! Woman was a ridiculous representation of a welcoming host !!
Now I'm back home having had to give statements to police and out of pocket. Awful!!! Appalling!! Only reason I have given one star is it would not let me give none.

Stayed: October 2017, travelled as a couple
10  Thank ashleighcolman
Ian M, Owner at Blackaddie Country House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 14 October 2017

These people did not stay with us, they checked in and because the garden was not a private one (we have never claimed it as such) they decided they would not stay but before going wanted their deposit back which we refuised to return. The gentleman (and I use this term in its loosest possible sense) then began to be threatening and abusive to my wife who was understanably very scared but held her own. The police were called and they esccorted him away but not before he threatened us by promising to ruin our business in any way shape or form that he could and then thumping the door. A few hours later he sent us the most vile threatening and abusive email I have ever had the misfortune to read. Subsequently we called the police again and complained about the email and the threats he has made to us and our business. He is a nasty perverted person and the whole matter is now in police hands and we expect to prosecute him for the way he has behaved.

Reviewed 13 October 2017

We stayed in the Grouse, a luxuriously appointed over-sized room with pleasant views of the countryside. The owners have spared no expense here -- king bed (rare in Scotland), super-comfortable mattress, contemporary bathroom with excellent shower and Jacuzzi tub. Ian's mastery of the kitchen was apparent with every course at dinner, and it's so nice to be able to indulge in a couple of glasses of wine without worrying how to get home safely (well, you do need to climb the stairs.) Jane is so helpful, ready to answer any question and enhance your stay. There's not much to do in Sanquhar*, but this place is such a gem that it's worth the hour trip from Glasgow. (*The new Multiverse, a landscape architect's vision of the universe, is 5 min away and spectacular -- for those interested in art, architecture, or an hour's walk.)

• Stayed: October 2017, travelled as a couple
Ian M, Owner at Blackaddie Country House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 15 October 2017

Thank you and we look forward to you returning to us one day

Reviewed 9 October 2017

A real chill out place which is really comfortable to stay in with ample public areas despite being a small hotel. Whilst we had one of the hotel rooms (spotless) our friends had one of the lodges which were extremely spacious and comfortable. The dinner was outstanding and the breakfast was magnificent.
If we didn't live so far away, I'd have it on my regular once a quarter visits but I will go back some day.

• Stayed: October 2017, travelled with family

Thank you so much, you were a lovely group and it was a pleasure to look after you.

Reviewed 5 October 2017

I've been to Blackaddie a number of times, both with my husband and with friends. It is always welcoming and pleasant. The rooms are excellent, and I have stayed in a number of them , including the River Suite. They are all beautifully presented, very comfortable and there is homemade tablet ( a Scottish speciality) and shortbread. No supermarket junk here! Then we come to the bit which makes me salivate.... the food! Unbelievable food, beautifully presented with lots of little extras which are a joy. Ian, the chef, is happy to tell you about anything you ask. I even tried his "chef for a day" once and was amazed at the way I was treated. I was made welcome, all questions answered, given inspiration to learn to cook better and had a fabulous insight into the workings of a professional kitchen. In conclusion, if you like to eat truly exceptional food in beautiful, comfortable surroundings, this is the place for you.

Room Tip: all excellent depends just how much luxury you want - discuss your needs with Jane. She's very helpful.
  • Stayed: September 2017, travelled with friends
Ian M, Owner at Blackaddie Country House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 7 October 2017

Wow! THank you for a great review, hopefully see youa gian soon.

Reviewed 4 October 2017 via mobile

Visited the hotel as a stop off point before travelling further North the following day. Food was lovely, some would say fussy but still very nice; the bedrooms were beautifully presented and very clean. The only let down was the 'lady of the house' who did not have very good people skills to say the least; she wondered why we were confused we couldn't lock our bedroom door as locking doors from the inside was very normal in an old house... okay then. Upon check-out she noticed one of the keys on the room keys was broken and accused us of breaking it, even when we said no she still asked 'are you sure?'. Just no words. At breakfast I managed to totally blow her mind by asking for two rashes of bacon with my boiled eggs, as she wasn't sure how to present it... on a plate would do just fine. To top it off we ordered extra toast which was forgotten, which meant we had to eat our eggs cold and on their own. Over priced and staff need to attend a course on people skill, however a lovely house and location,

Stayed: September 2017, travelled as a couple
4  Thank sallyhall2015
Ian M, Owner at Blackaddie Country House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 5 October 2017

How very bizarre? If you did not break the key then who did? Did we do it ourselves while you were not looking? All you had to do was to say sorry it snapped rather than deny the fact but to deny it is strange at least, no one was saying you did it on purpose, it took nearly 2 hours to fix the problem you will be pleased to know.

As for breakfast I think you must have misunderstood as after 521 weeks of doing breakfasts almost every day very little surprises or phases us. But having said all that thank yoiu for coming I'm sure you will try somewhere else next time.