“An awful experience”

Blackaddie Country House Hotel
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Sanquhar
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 15 October 2017

After booking direct with the hotel for an upgraded room, talking through dietary requirements , we were so bitterly disappointed on our arrival. We were met by Jane , shown to our room, but quickly pointed out that it wasn't quite what we expected. Jane wasn't happy , but said all her suites were full, but as we were staying for three nights, she could show us another. She went and collected keys, showed us another room, which we thought so much nicer, and we then brought in our luggage and felt happier. Rather surprised we had no dressing gowns or slippers, but were informed they were not provided. No biscuit to have with your coffe, certainly no shortbread tablet we had read about. Back down to reception, hopefully to get some sort of snack to eat.we had been travelling for four hours. We were begrudgingly served coffee, four squares of cake about the size of a ten pencepiece. We paid £15-00 for that,for which we have the receipt. We were asked if we wanted dinner. Oh yes please we said. We were shown a menu , that was £62-50 per head. It wasn't the cost, but the food I couldn't of eaten as I do not eat meat, and my husband wouldn't of eaten several courses. I would say that the food was very good, but the Chef / owner in his baggy track suit bottoms and decidedly off white whites, looked very grubby. We were told at the time of booking, we should of said the menu we wanted to eat from. However after some discussion we managed to agree with Jane who liaised with the Chef of food we could have. when we came down for dinner, Jane was nowhere to be seen, and we were looked after by a very nice young man. We had an excellent meal, a glass of wine, then back to our room for a cup of coffee. There was a notice to say, nothing should be consumed within the room. Certainly no biscuits. We went down for breakfast. Food was good , served by stony faced Jane. She asked would we be eating in the restaurant. My husband asked if the Chef could cook the same as the previous evening for us. Plain and simple. Jane said she would ask the chef, and it was agreed he would. Booked in for seven o'clock , after a lovely day exploring we went down to reception. We were completely ignored, but as there was another couple in the reception area, we waited until they had been served drinks ect, and Ian my husband asked if we could have a couple of glasses of wine , after we had managed to find the wine list. After about 15 minutes , Jane approached us, picked up our wine glasses and showed us to a table. It was the only one that wasn't laid . There were two small plates, two serviettes but no cutlery. I said to Jane when she brought us a bread roll, we don't have any cutlery. She went to a side table, picked up cutlery, came within an inch of my face , banged the cutlery down so hard that sh broke the side plate, and said, I am only hear to serve you. I said to her, How dare you speak to me like that, I was so upset and my husband said , right, let's ago. She made us feel very nervous and uncomfortable. We went to our room and packed, the phone rang , it was Ian the chef asking if we were coming down for our dinner. My husband said no, the situation was unbearable , we were leaving. We were then accused of being difficult and rude. We certainly were not, we were on holiday for goodness sake, and Visiting our daughter and grandchildren who live near Dumfries.
My husband took our luggage to the car, we paid our bill and left. It was now dark, we didn't know where we were and had to find another hotel to stay in for the night. It was now gone eight o'clock. Never have we experienced such rudeness in any hotels that we have stayed in world wide. Also the wet towels in our room and bath mat were not changed, but hung back over the radiator .

Room Tip: Couldn't possibly
  • Stayed: September 2017, travelled as a couple
4  Thank lindasmith146
Ian M, Owner at Blackaddie Country House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 16 October 2017

Thank you for your feedback.
You were basically rude to us throughout, from the moment you arrived blatantley ignoring me in the process while I held the door open for you and tried to greet you, even the nice young man thought so too. This may be a hotel to you but it is our home to us. We like to treat our guests as friends in our home but within a few minutes of your arrival I said to my wife that if you are not happy with the room we should say we have no others available and to ask you to leave as I could see the type of people you were. Sadly she did not as she would try - in vain as it happens - to bring you round. On this occasion it was an impossible and thankless task. The other guests all gave a sigh of relief when you left. I hope we do not see you again.
There are so many omissions in your review with regards the many conversations my wife had with you so making this only your version of what actually happened and I have no intention of going into further lengthy details.

Reviewed 13 October 2017 via mobile

Absolutely appalling! Yes the hotel it's self looks lovely . We booked a cottage for a weekend . Says it's pet friendly? Maybe if the pet is a gold fish?! The photographs on the website do not depict the true picture at all! The garden was very small and was wide open to a
road which leads to the main road which is not dog friendly at all! I told the woman Jane my concerns to which she said can't you just chain them up (charming) and then she started verbally abusing me shouting and swearing she didn't care what the pictures showed (funny that you would think you would want the pictures to show a true representation) demanding I leave the hotel. And proceeded to then call the Police informing them
She had an irate customer refusing to leave . She then proceeded to push me out the door shouting at me and then my partner before locking the door.
The woman had no people skills at all and I would definitely not recommend any one to stay there! Woman was a ridiculous representation of a welcoming host !!
Now I'm back home having had to give statements to police and out of pocket. Awful!!! Appalling!! Only reason I have given one star is it would not let me give none.

Stayed: October 2017, travelled as a couple
5  Thank ashleighcolman
Ian M, Owner at Blackaddie Country House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 14 October 2017

These people did not stay with us, they checked in and because the garden was not a private one (we have never claimed it as such) they decided they would not stay but before going wanted their deposit back which we refuised to return. The gentleman (and I use this term in its loosest possible sense) then began to be threatening and abusive to my wife who was understanably very scared but held her own. The police were called and they esccorted him away but not before he threatened us by promising to ruin our business in any way shape or form that he could and then thumping the door. A few hours later he sent us the most vile threatening and abusive email I have ever had the misfortune to read. Subsequently we called the police again and complained about the email and the threats he has made to us and our business. He is a nasty perverted person and the whole matter is now in police hands and we expect to prosecute him for the way he has behaved.

Reviewed 13 October 2017

We stayed in the Grouse, a luxuriously appointed over-sized room with pleasant views of the countryside. The owners have spared no expense here -- king bed (rare in Scotland), super-comfortable mattress, contemporary bathroom with excellent shower and Jacuzzi tub. Ian's mastery of the kitchen was apparent with every course at dinner, and it's so nice to be able to indulge in a couple of glasses of wine without worrying how to get home safely (well, you do need to climb the stairs.) Jane is so helpful, ready to answer any question and enhance your stay. There's not much to do in Sanquhar*, but this place is such a gem that it's worth the hour trip from Glasgow. (*The new Multiverse, a landscape architect's vision of the universe, is 5 min away and spectacular -- for those interested in art, architecture, or an hour's walk.)

• Stayed: October 2017, travelled as a couple
Ian M, Owner at Blackaddie Country House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 15 October 2017

Thank you and we look forward to you returning to us one day

Reviewed 9 October 2017

A real chill out place which is really comfortable to stay in with ample public areas despite being a small hotel. Whilst we had one of the hotel rooms (spotless) our friends had one of the lodges which were extremely spacious and comfortable. The dinner was outstanding and the breakfast was magnificent.
If we didn't live so far away, I'd have it on my regular once a quarter visits but I will go back some day.

• Stayed: October 2017, travelled with family

Thank you so much, you were a lovely group and it was a pleasure to look after you.

Reviewed 5 October 2017

I've been to Blackaddie a number of times, both with my husband and with friends. It is always welcoming and pleasant. The rooms are excellent, and I have stayed in a number of them , including the River Suite. They are all beautifully presented, very comfortable and there is homemade tablet ( a Scottish speciality) and shortbread. No supermarket junk here! Then we come to the bit which makes me salivate.... the food! Unbelievable food, beautifully presented with lots of little extras which are a joy. Ian, the chef, is happy to tell you about anything you ask. I even tried his "chef for a day" once and was amazed at the way I was treated. I was made welcome, all questions answered, given inspiration to learn to cook better and had a fabulous insight into the workings of a professional kitchen. In conclusion, if you like to eat truly exceptional food in beautiful, comfortable surroundings, this is the place for you.

Room Tip: all excellent depends just how much luxury you want - discuss your needs with Jane. She's very h...
  • Stayed: September 2017, travelled with friends
Ian M, Owner at Blackaddie Country House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 7 October 2017

Wow! THank you for a great review, hopefully see youa gian soon.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Sanquhar
29.1 km away
Balmoral Hotel
#3 of 4 in Moffat
37.1 km away
Days Inn Lockerbie Annandale Water

Been to Blackaddie Country House Hotel? Share your experiences!