De Vere Staverton Estate
The Red Lion(Hellidon)
  • Restaurant
Marston House(Southam)
1,913 results
All reviewsgolf coursestaverton parkbiscuitsswimming poolleisure facilitiesbuffet stylesteam roomtea coffeecourse mealgolf breakplenty of choicewowcher dealhot drinksdriving rangeshort breakthe main hoteltwo night stay
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 16 November 2016

Attended for a conference overnight.

Venue is in a very rural location, on a busy road with no street lighting. Therefore the walk to the pub in the next village (necessary due to the ridiculously high prices and lack of any hand pumped ale in the bar), is extremely dangerous.

Conference facilities were acceptable, although insufficient water bottles provided for each table in my opinion.

After our afternoon session was completed we were given keys. Ventured to my room. Pretty basic, tired and outdated. No air con. Heater was not switched on but room was way too hot - this being November (don't know what it must be like in August. Even with the window open - not ideal being on a ground floor - the room did not cool sufficiently.

Didn't use or really look at the bathroom at this stage as we all had to assemble pre dinner, so dump the bags and off I went.

When the venue was booked by my employers we were all sent a menu from which to choose our evening meal. Although unanimously not greatly impressed with the choices on offer colleagues and I made our choices. We were then told that the venue had said no, our whole party had to have the same, and that these were the choices from which the party as a whole had to chose.

Rather odd then that at lunch on day 1 there was a choice of several dishes for the cafeteria style lunch!

Anyway, evening meal - there is a reason I have never previously eaten butter nut squash soup - it is unpleasant and this version particularly so. Chicken as the main course - very small cuts of breast, overcooked vegetables and a watery sauce - unimpressive. Dessert? Supposed to be a creme brulée - there was creme but definitely no brulée, soft soggy and flacid on top, with fruit mixed into the creme! Oh did I mention the bar prices?

I returned to my room and went to use the shower. I stopped and looked on in horror. All around the bath taps there was a thick layer of ingrained black mould - see photo I have added above. This was not small traces, this was serious black mould all around and between the taps and the wall. There was even mould running down the bath from the overflow point. Closer inspection of the shower head revealed that it looked rather unpleasant as well.

I returned to reception and asked for a room change showing a photo of the mould to the two receptionists. Rather than looking horrified they reacted more as if this was the norm. "Sorry but there are no other rooms available" I was told.

I was then told that maybe they could sort out some reduction the next morning - not much use when I was not paying - I was then asked how long I was staying - one night is not much usr for the implied incentives fillowing the question.

Well the manager is not here right now he'll be back shortly, he may give you a free drink in the bar! A free drink !!! I explained I was going to my room. I expected at least a knock at the door from the manager, to come and examine the problem at least. Nothing - no further contact from anyone at all.

I spent an unpleasant night in a room I did not consider clean. I would AVOID this venue at all costs

• Stayed: November 2016, travelled on business
Tony F, General Manager at De Vere Staverton Estate, responded to this reviewResponded 17 November 2016

Dear DesdinovaUK

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of Trip Advisor following on from you recent stay at Staverton Park. I have recently joined the team at Staverton Park as General Manager and your review concerns me greatly. I would welcome an opportunity to discuss this off line with you if i can ask you to contact my PA helene.ballinger@principal-hayley.com with further contact details she will arrange this for you.

Please accept my sincerest apologies for this very disappointing stay and I look forward to hearing from you.

Reviewed 15 November 2016

The meeting rooms were clean and tidy, the food and refreshements provided throughout the day were above expectations.
All members of staff were helpful, and of the parts of the hotel i saw the decor and facilities were fine.
The only thing i would comment on would be the selection of food available in the retaurant at lunch time could have been a little better.

• Stayed: November 2016, travelled on business
Tony F, General Manager at De Vere Staverton Estate, responded to this reviewResponded 16 November 2016

Dear Hannah T

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on Trip Advisor following on from your recent conference visit. We really do appreciate your kind comments that we exceeded your expectations!. I will of course pass on your constructive feedback regarding the choice of food.
We look forward to welcoming your back again in the very near future.

Reviewed 14 November 2016 via mobile

We stayed here for 1 night as we were attending a wedding near the area. Check in was good as we were allowed to check in early. The rooms had a bit of a musty smell which is a bit off putting when walking into a hotel room. Rooms were average for the price of over £80 per night, I would expect much better for this price range. Breakfast was below average, food was not fresh, we asked for tea/coffee and felt like we were ignored, need to work on customer service skills. Didn't use the spa/swimming pool so can't comment. Reception desk staff were very good.

Stayed: November 2016, travelled with family
Tony F, General Manager at De Vere Staverton Estate, responded to this reviewResponded 15 November 2016

Dear xlaurzx

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on Trip Advisor following on from your recent visit to Staverton Estate.

Firstly please accept my apologies that the breakfast offerings were not to the standard you or I would expect, I have already passed your feedback onto the Chef and the Restaurant Manager for action.

Finally thank you for your kind comments regarding the reception team, they are the first and last point of contact for guests so I know they will be pleased to read that they made a difference to your stay.

I do hope that we will be able to welcome you back to Staverton Estate in the very near future.

Reviewed 12 November 2016 via mobile

Firstly, front of house was a key selling point - polite and efficient. The restaurant was clean and well staffed with ample food from a buffet. Again, staff were helpful and plenty of people on hand to clear tables. The food was made to a really good standard.

The room, however, needs some investment - it's starting to look quite run down. The bathroom in particular needs more attention with mould around the taps and shower head. The rest of the room was nicely set out with tea and coffee facilities. Wifi was hit and miss in my room when trying to work, but better in the reception area.

The bar was quite expensive at £5.10 for a pint of Stella, but nicely set out with ample seating and TV screens.

Stayed: November 2016, travelled on business
Tony F, General Manager at De Vere Staverton Estate, responded to this reviewResponded 14 November 2016

Dear Martin B

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on Trip Advisor following on from your recent stay at Staverton Park. I have recently joined the team at Staverton Park as General Manager and I am thrilled about your comments regarding the reception team, it is the first and last point of contact at a hotel. So therefore key to enhancing the guests experience.
Thank you for your comments regarding the cleanliness of the bedroom, I have tasked the Housekeeping Manager with checking all the bathrooms and concentrating on those which need attention.
The bar prices are set by Head Office but I will of course pass this feedback onto them.
I do look forward to welcoming you back again in the very near future.

Reviewed 12 November 2016

Decent works event hotel which ticks all of the boxes.

Bedrooms nice and comfy, lively bar, good food, plenty of parking, easy to find, efficient check in, good meeting rooms and free wifi through out.

Dear mallyduk

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on Trip Advisor following on form your recent visit to Staverton Park. I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay, we look forward to welcoming you back again very soon.