“Excellent Lunch”

Cuisines: International, British
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 17 August 2017 via mobile

Although I've lived in the area for quite some time I'd never got round to visiting the Queen's Head before now. After a wonderful lunch, however, it won't be long until I return!
The pub is decorated to give it a beautifully calm feeling. We received friendly greeting from the genial host as we walked in, immediately making us feel welcome. The beer was good (Woodfords Wherry when we visited, but I believe the guest ales change). All the tables are well spaced, so you don't feel like you're on top of the people next to you.
The lunch menu was good, with a board of specials to add to it. I chose the cottage pie with veg, whilst the OH had lamb steaks. The food came relatively quickly, and was fantastic, the cottage pie was made with chunks of braised beef, and the horseradish in the mash made it tasty without being overwhelming. It came with mixed veg that included a good portion of excellent spiced red cabbage (worth returning for on its own!). The lamb was a good portion, perfectly cooked for the OH.
We indulged in puddings, although I found making a choice difficult, since I wanted to try everything. I ended up with creme brûlée, which came with a delicious home made shortbread biscuit. The OH had a summer pudding from the specials menu that he pronounced 'excellent'.
The prices are reasonable for this area, especially given the generous nature of the portions. The two course meal for the two of us (with a pint each) came to just shy of £50.
I will definitely be going back soon.

1  Thank Blythspirit68

Reviewed 11 August 2017

We came here with family for an evening meal. Straightaway we were welcomed like long lost friends. We had 2 children with us one of which is dairy free and they went to great lengths to ensure they were catered for. The cottage pie was the best I had ever tasted with large pieces of braised beef, no mince in sight! The accompanying red cabbage and vegetables were delicious.

Reviewed 28 July 2017

I had a job where I was on the road for nearly 40 years and have used many gastro-pubs over the years. This one rates as one of the best. My family and I were on holiday close by for a week, after our first visit we returned on a number of occasions. The atmosphere and décor is very good with a very nice garden to the rear. This is a free house and during the week we enjoyed a number of different real ales which were perfectly kept. The staff were both very polite and attentive but the crowning glory was the food. All freshly cooked with both a very mixed printed menu and interesting blackboard specials. We enjoyed blade of beef, sea trout, breast of chicken in a delicious sauce, risotto and beef and lamb cottage pies. The deserts were also delicious, homemade lemon meringue pie with rhubarb compote and baked American style cheesecake with gooseberry compote were amongst my favourites.

Would thoroughly recommend a visit-we will be going back next time we are in the area.

1  Thank chrishyam
Reviewed 20 July 2017

The Queens Head is in the very pretty village of Bramfield, Suffolk. We visited the pub because there was a Shakespeare production in the garden that evening. It was great fun, sitting in the warm evening on benches around the courtyard watching a shortened version of Measure for Measure. The whole garden is beautiful and the lawned area overlooks the thatched Church.

We had decided to eat at the pub that evening so we booked a table. The food was really lovely and the service excellent. Lovely atmosphere and lots to choose from on the menu, with specials on the board.

Shakespeare or no Shakespeare we will definitely go back to the pub soon.

Reviewed 11 July 2017

On Saturday, a group of us went to the Queen's Head as part of our annual weekend reunion. The evening didn't get off to a good start as the taxi company (A2B) had ripped us off with a £55 charge for a 4 mile taxi ride, but the landlord told us to put it all behind us and enjoy our evening. He took the trouble to find us an alternative for our journey back to our accommodation. Many thanks for that!
In the meantime, we were very well looked after by Lyndsey and Abbie, our waitresses for the evening. The pub is lovely and the food was very good. We thoroughly enjoyed our evening, in spite of the inauspicious start. We'll definitely go back if we are in that part of Suffolk again.

1  Thank MichelleStaines