“Simple and straightforward”
Review of Hare & Hounds

Hare & Hounds
Ranked #8 of 11 Restaurants in Godstone
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Pub centrally located in Godstone village, Surrey. Wide range of bar snacks and pub grub restaurant food
Reviewed 15 July 2017

A slightly tired looking pub on the village green. The menu is sensibly short, totally British and all clearly cooked in house. There is a wide variety of good local beers and a genuinely pubby atmosphere. The food, when it arrived, was generous and, like its whole presentation, straightforward,unpretentious, wholesome tasty and good. Desserts, all tarts of one sort or another and, again, clearly made in house are excellent. The service, today, a quiet Saturday, was friendliness, efficiency and charm personified. Prices are really good value. its not Cordon Bleu but,then,it doesn't pretend to be. If you want somewhere simple, good value and reasonable then this is your place.

Reviewed 12 July 2017

My wife and I were visiting Godstone for a walk and popped in here for lunch. It looked fine inside and I have no complaints over the service, however the sandwiches that we ordered were extremely disappointing. While the bread used was not actually stale, it certainly did not taste particularly fresh either. My sandwich was supposed to be cheddar and caramelised onions but in fact they had used chutney instead. By wife's bacon and brie sandwich was so poor that she left half of it. On the positive side, the chips served with it were quite reasonable.

Reviewed 25 May 2017 via mobile

I visited this pub to meet a business colleague for lunch last week & walked in to find it fairly quiet with just a couple of middle aged chaps sitting at the bar.

The decor is very traditional & the barmaid was pleasant & chatty and I was served quickly.

There is a good menu with an additional specials board - we both had ham, egg & chips and the portions were big and the food well cooked.

Parking is a bit tricky but I managed ok as it wasn't busy at the time.

I would recommend & would definitely pop in again if passing.

Reviewed 8 May 2017

What a day to visit a pub run by a Newcastle fan when you are a Reading supporter. Newcastle had just won the League so they let me in. Lots of locals who all seemed to know each other, but friendly enough. TV sports and a pool table. Food not being served when I visited, but a small separate eating area at the end of the building.

Reviewed 16 April 2017

Came here today for Sunday lunch and was really impressed. We brought our dog which meant we ate in the pub rather than the restaurant section - not a problem.
There is plenty to choose from on the menu and all our food was home cooked and very tasty. The portions were big and the prices so reasonable compared to other pubs and restaurants.
We found the staff friendly and the service efficient.
This is a proper local pub, good value and great food. Highly recommended.

1  Thank Burt68