Chalet della Guida(Bardonecchia)
  • Restaurant
Hotel La Pigna(Bardonecchia)
TripAdvisor
TripAdvisor
All reviewsschool triphelpful and friendly staffolympic villagegreat facilitiesskiing areacampo smithbalconiessittingsoscaranimators
Reviewed 30 May 2015

I came to this place at 17:33:02 on 18th February 2015 it was nice but there are a few things I feel as though I aught to bring up. First of all, I read on-line that this was a summer resort as well as a winter one, and I feel like I only got half of the package (after intense negotiations with the maniger, he still didn't seem to understand my position; I did not receive a 50 percent discount; but I feel cheated; there seemed to be no summer section of the resort, with snow seeming to cover the entire area; what's that all about? In the end, we were forced to rent skis; it is apparently the only way to enjoy the mountain. My three-year-old took to skiing like a duck to water, speed-skiing down Vallon Cros after just 15 minutes of skiing. Unfortunately, he broke 3 of his four limbs, but he was happy dangling from the fifth-floor balcony on his remaining hand for the rest of the holiday (he has an impressive set of biceps); it was character-building.

As for the hotel:

When I arrived, I was slightly chilly in my shorts, but the hotel dressing gown sorted that out! The mini-fridge was a very nice toutch, as I could chill my collection of cider (my youngest son's favourite!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!). I was also extreemely impressed by the way in witch the insulation tiles of the ceiling could be lifted up! That provided a great sleeping place for my 4 children, giving myself and Angel, my wife, sister and step-granddaughter (same person) a break from their horseplay, so that we could engage in our own. I was also unsure if I was aloud to bring in a dog, so I also kept him in the improvised attic, dosed up on my finest (RS)-2-(2-Chlorophenyl)-2-(methylamino)cyclohexanone; he was no trouble at all. The railings on the balcony provided a great platform for steeplechase and the snow below provided optimum cushioning for my 5 year old - he didn't cry so I took that as a promising sign and he seemed completely fine when he woke up 3 days later.

The endless, labrynthine corridors of the hotel proved to be an issue for my other 5 year old who got hopelessly lost. We agreed to buy another one when we got home but luckily we found him on the slopes. He didn't speak good English and was half a foot shorter but I attribute this to the trauma of being lost.

The chair lifts proved a minor hassle; they seemed to have 2 seats which was hardly enough for my family of 6; fortunately the kids were rather expert at the monkey bars (due to expert training by dad (and the odd whip) :) :)) and so were happy to hang on from the footrest. I think one fell but I had forgotten his/her name so was unable to call out for the child. A good life lesson, anyway!

They call it the Olympic hotel but I was dissapointed not too find Michael Phelps in the swimming pool. I had a tattoo gun ready for an autograph on my 3 year old daughter's forehead; I also got strange looks demanding autographs of snow-boarders on the Olympic Piste - arrogance of them was extraordinary - they didn't even invite me for luncheon! However, I greatly enjoyed the Olympic disco where I could cut some fine shapes and introduced my 3 year old to the delights of daiquiri.
I tried to dance with a really fit 12 year old girl - she threatened to call the police on allegations of paedophilia but being expert player like myself I deduced that she was just playing hard to get. After all, my wife is only 17.

All in all my emotions were mixed about this hotel - there were ups, downs, all arounds, surprises and a potential death. By the way, please inform me if I left a child aged 3-6 in the attic space of room 531 along with the Alsatian. If the ketamine has worn off and Rupert has eaten the child - don't worry he has a very slow metabolism and with a bit of luck and some forceps the child should be recovered.
Don't worry if the child is missing limbs - it happens to the best of us (look at Oscar Pistorius whom I also failed to see at the hotel) and I would have cut them off anyway.
My family is short of food and my child has the meatiest biceps (again due to great training from daddy ;-)) in all of Kentucky.

Room Tip: Don't choose room 531 - the life in the attic may disturb you.
8  Thank Malcolm A
Reviewed 12 May 2015

I came here on a school trip in feb 2015 and I loved every minute of it. They lovely and understanding ski instructors especially when you find it hard and are a beginner. The food was okay and something new every night, apart from pasta which helped if you didn't like anything on the menu. The bedrooms we're average but upon arrival one of our beds were broke with slats missing but was quickly resolved. You can buy pictures From a kiosk inside the hotel of you skiing. Best memory of my school life I'd say had an amazing time with my friends a really memorable last year of high school. would love to return some time soon.

Room Tip: Ground floor, lifts are always packed and it's tiring walking up flights of stairs
  • Stayed: February 2015, travelled with friends
1  Thank coco m
Reviewed 4 April 2015 via mobile

Very large and slickly run hotel, popular with school parties. Good facilities and very accommodating staff. The food was also excellent - particularly bearing in mind the number of guests being catered for. One suggestion however would be staggered sittings to avoid congestion and queues at the start.

Stayed: April 2015, travelled with friends
2  Thank Mark E
Reviewed 25 March 2015

Well staffed large hotel - well looked after by staff and really impressed by the quantity and quality of the food on offer.

The rooms were always cleaned well and good range on flatscreen TV, minifridge and comfortable beds

Reviewed 5 March 2015

This a a large hotel built for the 2006 Olympics. Rooms are adequate, most with balconies. We got full board plus free ski passes in the price. Ski lifts close by either by walking or free bus. Good skiing for beginners, intermediates, not extensive enough for a week if you are experienced. The food was very good and plentiful. They offered a lunch pack to takeaway or eat in. All the staff were helpful and happy. There was some entertainment going on in the evenings. The only down side perhaps, clientele were mainly students and some were noisy coming back at night, lost in the corridors. The hotel should have an escort for singing, lost students! It was a good hotel deal though.

Room Tip: If you want a balcony to store skis, ask when booking.
1  Thank Al P