“Nice little bar”

Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 18 May 2016 via mobile

We visited here a few times during our stay in Montepulciano, partly because it was near our apartment, and partly because it was good value.
The wines were good, and if at happy hour (5-7pm) it came with plates of meats and cheeses, at other times some bruschetta.
The owner was friendly, although was the only one person there and had to try to serve everyone, she also didn't speak English, so it's worth knowing what you want to order in Italian.
A pleasant, friendly bar, with good wines and snacks.

Reviewed 11 March 2016

My husband and I wanted lunch but most of the restaurants were closed. We came across Sax and decided to give a go. It is a very small restaurant and we were seated in the cantina. The table was dirty from the previous eaters. We sat a couple minutes before the waitress wiped the table off and took our order of water and beer. While we waited, I noticed the couple seated two tables over called the waitress over. The female patron spoke quietly as the waitress intently listened. The waitress collected the patron's soup and took it to the kitchen. When the waitress returned, she asked the patron if there was anything she wanted. The patron declined. At this point, the little voice in my head said to get up and leave. The waitress took our order of crostone, crepe and salumi and cheese board. While I waited, I began to look around. The cantina was dirty. The layers of dust clung to the frames, empty bird cage and knick-knacks hanging on the walls and from the ceilings. There were boxes of greens and cherry tomatoes stacked on the floor. The tomatoes were over ripe, squishy, oozing and had little bugs buzzing around them. When our food arrived, I noticed the same tomatoes were on my crostone. The tomatoes were acidic due to being over ripe. The crepe and salumi were sampled and not eaten. I would recommend another restaurant because Sax was plainly DIRTY.

1  Thank Yvonne R
Reviewed 10 November 2015 via mobile

We stopped by while staying in the old city during the week after the tourists leave and many of the restaurants close for a few days. Knowing that our options would be mostly limited to places frequented by locals was encouraging to us as we prefer such experiences. Our lunch of local salami, bean soup, and truffle tagliatelle accompanied by the house wine was delicious and the ambiance was perfectly simple. Our glass of 2 euro Chianti tasted better than many 10+ euro glasses we have had. Complimentary cookies and Vin Santo served by our kind waitress were appreciated and the fair price reminded us why we returned to this lovely town.

Reviewed 4 November 2015 via mobile

Stopped in for brunch on a Sunday morning and had a very nice panini and cappuccino. Sat outside in the sun watching the world go by on our last day in Montepulciano.

Reviewed 12 October 2015

I wish there was a rating option between Average and Very Good because the Sax Wine Bar is GOOD. As with all Italian bars, when you order drinks they bring you picky food (apertivo) Sax offered us a Bruschetta who's tomatoes were so yummy you would swear they were just picked out of the garden. She also brought out a tray of meat & cheese that we had to turn down because we were going to Del O'Aquacheta to have steak and were just killing time until they opened. Small but quaint, the owner was very friendly and sweet.

1  Thank Mkmac3