“Late night pizza”

Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 16 August 2016

Good late night pizza, made fresh. We squeezed into the outside seating and enjoyed our first meal in town.

Reviewed 6 June 2016

Lovely bar with nice menu near the top of Monepulciano. Sympatico menu, excellent offerings, prices, nice view with outside tables and food and beverages. The owners are excellent cooks and do a lovely job with menus for lunch and dinner and in between. Many of the bars are just tourist spots and not quality food. This is an exception and worth stopping at.

Reviewed 28 May 2016 via mobile

The little wooden tables on the street outside this wine bar attracted us. It wasn't very busy but the service was not up to scratch. I ordered a spaghetti, Alia Olio Peperoncini. You would have thought the Chef had never prepared this dish before. There was no taste of chilli at all and a few small pieces of dried chilli were floating in all the oil. Kitchens that do this dish do it well in my experience, especially in Sicily and elsewhere. To be fair my partner enjoyed her lasagne. She mentioned in Italian the spaghetti problem when she went to pay but only got a shrug and "the manager is not here". Frankly Montepulciano restaurants did not look tempting and prices were higher than say Lucca for instance....

Reviewed 18 May 2016 via mobile

We visited here a few times during our stay in Montepulciano, partly because it was near our apartment, and partly because it was good value.
The wines were good, and if at happy hour (5-7pm) it came with plates of meats and cheeses, at other times some bruschetta.
The owner was friendly, although was the only one person there and had to try to serve everyone, she also didn't speak English, so it's worth knowing what you want to order in Italian.
A pleasant, friendly bar, with good wines and snacks.

Reviewed 11 March 2016

My husband and I wanted lunch but most of the restaurants were closed. We came across Sax and decided to give a go. It is a very small restaurant and we were seated in the cantina. The table was dirty from the previous eaters. We sat a couple minutes before the waitress wiped the table off and took our order of water and beer. While we waited, I noticed the couple seated two tables over called the waitress over. The female patron spoke quietly as the waitress intently listened. The waitress collected the patron's soup and took it to the kitchen. When the waitress returned, she asked the patron if there was anything she wanted. The patron declined. At this point, the little voice in my head said to get up and leave. The waitress took our order of crostone, crepe and salumi and cheese board. While I waited, I began to look around. The cantina was dirty. The layers of dust clung to the frames, empty bird cage and knick-knacks hanging on the walls and from the ceilings. There were boxes of greens and cherry tomatoes stacked on the floor. The tomatoes were over ripe, squishy, oozing and had little bugs buzzing around them. When our food arrived, I noticed the same tomatoes were on my crostone. The tomatoes were acidic due to being over ripe. The crepe and salumi were sampled and not eaten. I would recommend another restaurant because Sax was plainly DIRTY.

1  Thank Yvonne R