“Amalfi is nice but Ravello is a dream come true ...”
Review of Ravello

Map
Satellite
Map updates are paused. Zoom in to see updated info.
Reset zoom
Updating Map...
Adelaide, Australia
13 helpful votes
“Amalfi is nice but Ravello is a dream come true ...”
Reviewed 20 June 2011

I turned the Fiat Ulysses off the road at Amalfi Resort to be greeted by a ticket waving local with hip secured cash bag gesticulating that this vehicle needed to be deposited in tandem with the dozen or so who'd arrived ahead ... "va, va, qui signora, sinistra signora !!! ..." hmmm ...

After a couple of hours negotiating fabulous twists and turns of the narrow coast road from Sorrento through Positano in full view of some of the world's most outstanding scenery I was unprepared to be first herded then corralled between gi-normous hot shimmering coaches disgorging human cargo like lemmings tippling headlong into a final precipice ...

My diary says " made the better decision for Ravello, further up the road ..."

Ravello is a charming and beautiful Norman village, quiet, serene - piazza, chiesa, musea, cloisters, small cafes and gentle people.

Vehicle parked safely in the shade of an ancient olive tree we stepped up to one of the most blessed surprises of this trip .. late morning sun angled deliciously on chilled prosecco as we decided how best to enjoy this place .. " split up, meet back here, keep track of time by the tolling of the Norman tower bell."

My diary reminds me ... "walked up, up, kept walking, took photos .. so many ... ended up in Greta Garbo's house!

Gardens of dangling gourds and upsprung beans, then steps, gate, cloisters ... most beautiful gardens and wisteria walk I've ever seen. Stunning statuary and views over il Golfo di Salerno ... "

I dawdled there, I must admit. The Norman bell tolled and I did run all the way back to find my travelling companion oozing about as much patience as anyone could reasonably expect of a dowager requiring her creature comforts NOW ...

Time for some browsing among charismatic shops of locally hand crafted ceramic and porcelain plates, dishes and bowls, all unique to Ravello and not one like any other ...

My companion lingered; I made my small purchase so wandered into the next store and into a profound conversation with the very senior gentleman in charge there.

With big smiles and in my most practised Italian, with my best hand and shoulder gestures we enjoyed the repartee of strangers who meet once in the knowlege they will never meet again. For him, this was an everyday occurrence.

For me, it was a revelation.

The essence of our talk was of life in this supremely fascinating and idyllic place, aware of big cities dotted about the globe and supremely satisfied knowing this is the place of heart and home.

As I took my reluctant leave of this moment ... my diary reminds me ... "he gave me his philosophy on life ....

... 'If there's no spaghetti today and I die and go to Heaven - and if there's no spaghetti there - What can I do today?'

The answer he gave me ... "Carpe Diem" - Live for the Day'! "

I will go back to Ravello.

1 Thank Christine H
Netanya, Israel
121 helpful votes
“A gem of a place...............”
Reviewed 14 June 2011

A short (20min) bus ride from Amalfi brings one to the "top of the world" - Ravello. Quaint, quiet, and the most fantastic views over the Amalfi coast.
There are villas to visit, the church is a must, and narrow alleyways filled with shops, geared for tourists obviously, and plenty of eating places. Just to walk around and take in the ambience is a must.
Not big, can be covered in a short while, but, again, the atmosphere is something.Filled with tourist groups, it seems to be lively all the time.
One can walk back down to Amalfi on signposted trails, or like us take the bus back to Amalfi.
An experience and visit not to be missed, if one is in the area.

1 Thank GordonBloch
Scotland
82 helpful votes
“Ravello a snippet.”
Reviewed 15 May 2011

Just returned from a fabulous week in Ravello. The Amalfi Coast scenery is magnificent. To get anyplace by local buses you have the best vantage points for this although the roads give you some nail biting experiences. Once you have been on the bus you will agree that it gives a new meaning to the expression " you can get a bus through that space". A visit to Pompeii and Herculaneum should not be missed and Positano comes a close second to Ravello for charm. The walk from Ravello to Minori down the 1000 plus steps is not for the faint hearted but well worth it. Villas Cimbrone and Rufolo were beautiful. Although we visited all the places on our agenda some were rushed as a week was not enough but it gave you a snippet. Finally visit the newly opened DUOMO CAFE in RAVELLO main square for a warm welcome from very friendly staff. A lovely venue for a coffee or a snack and to watch the comings and goings in Ravello.

Massachusetts
4 helpful votes
“Heaven on earth!”
Reviewed 9 May 2011

Ravello is absolutely breathtaking, Italy at it's best. Everywhere you look there are fabulous views, beautiful gardens and charming architecture. The people are warm and inviting and truly glad to have you visit. The hotels are excellent and all the restaurants that we tried were wonderful.This is where we started our anniversary trip and we could not have picked a better place to relax, rejuvenate, and get into vacation mode. We have never been anywhere as amazing as this before and can't wait to return!

1 Thank TiredTwosome
New York
2 helpful votes
“Mamma Agata's Cookbook and Cooking Classes on Amalfi Coast”
Reviewed 8 April 2011

For those of you who haven't been lucky enough to attend Mamma Agata's fabulous cooking classes on Italy's magnificent Amalfi Coast, the next best thing you can do is to get your hands on this truly authentic Italian cookbook which is filled with Mamma Agata's culinary secrets and elegantly simple and delicious family recipes. Your dinner guests will never leave once you serve them Mamma's Eggplant Parmigiana, her pasta with zucchini or peppers and sausage, and her famous melt-in-your mouth Lemon Cake!

To give you a little bit of the back story on Mamma Agata, she started cooking as a young girl of 13 for a wealthy American socialite who lived in Italy and who entertained many famous American celebrities such as Jacqueline Kennedy, Fred Astaire, and Humphrey Bogart--who affectionately nick-named her "Baby Agata". More recently, she has hosted Woody Harrelson and Pierce Brosnan at her cooking classes in Ravello at their family farmhouse with its terraced gardens and lemon groves perched on a cliff overlooking the sparkling Mediterranean Sea. I personally found Mamma's classes to be truly an experience of a lifetime; so the book is particularly special to me. The classes have, in fact, been voted by TripAdvisor.com as the number one activity on the Amalfi Coast, and their popoularity is very well-deserved!

This unique, traditional and regional Italian cookbook is a must-have for both the experienced and beginner cook or for anyone who simply loves Italian food! In March of 2011, "Mamma Agata's Simple and Genuine Cookbook" received the very prestigious Gourmand World Cookbook Award in the "Best Easy Recipes" category, second only to Jamie Oliver. These awards for food and wine books are considered to be the "Oscars" of the cookery world!

This amazing cookbook was put together after many years of tireless effort and devotion by Mamma's daughter Chiara Lima, who, with her larger-than life personality, conducts the cooking classes with her mother in Italy. Chiara and her family's deep passion and love for cooking are evident in every page of this book which is filled not only with mouth-watering recipes and photos, but a wonderful story of her lovely family with countless incredible photos of the beautiful Amalfi Coast, the "jewel" of Italy. Without a doubt, it will be a book you will treasure!

1 Thank ZitiSweetie

Been to Ravello? Share your experiences!