“Great food , where the locals eat”

Trattoria Il Gabbiano
Ranked #74 of 516 Restaurants in Viareggio
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 15 February 2017 via mobile

We popped into here for lunch following a recommendation. We arrived around 12.30 and by 1.30 the place was packed. Mainly locals which is always a good sign.
The staff were friendly and helpful, the food was great. We had the seafood carbonara .... simply delicious.
All the food is freshly cooked so there is a small wait but totally worth it.

Highly recommended

1  Thank Selina W

Reviewed 21 April 2016

Had dinner here with friends.I am vegetarian, so it was not the right place for me, even if they did there best . Must say that there Crbonara with fish lokked tasty, and the mixed fried fish was not soggy inoil. For me I had a risotto with cheese and a plate of mixed grill veggies. Good the desert.We paid € 27 each.

Reviewed 12 September 2015 via mobile

This is a basic restaurant offering a speciality "carbonara di mare". I would suggest skiping the statrters and go directly fot carbonara. We enjoyed also the mixed fried with fish and vegetables. We payed 25€ per person including wine. Very fare price☺.

1  Thank AldoTR
Reviewed 12 March 2014

I was there 3 times and every time was great. I didn't taste the starters, because I was attracted to the pasta and fried fish (with "lisca" = bones).
As for the wine, ask "Vermentino of Luni", a typical wine between Tuscany and Liguria.

Reviewed 1 March 2014

I go to Il Gabbiano regularly. Every time I visit my hometown, I also make room for their signature dish: pasta carbonara di mare, which is shellfish pasta stirred with raw eggs. Delicious!
Follow the advice of a regular: skip the starters, which are frankly not worth it, and go straight to the carbonara.
Another tip: stay away from the house wine, utterly terrible.
The place itself is very basic and service can get woefully slow as patrons flock in, so reserve and go early.
Prices? Very cheap, a hearty dinner with wine will cost you 20-25€.

1  Thank Giovanni B